Russians/US RWR and ARMs

Joni

Hi folks!

I've never been much of a russians plane user but I was reading about their RWR and found out that they have two lights that lets you know if the threat is either above or below you. This would've saved my life several times in the F-15C. I was wondering if maybe the F-15 does have that option and I didnt know, or if its just not there.

Also, I saw a mission in the F-15C campaign where a bunch of F-16s conducted a SEAD strike with the AGM-88s. The thing is that they didnt have the corresponding pod for that, its not even on the payload options. How do they exactly use the AGM-88s without the pod?

Thanks!

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

1. roll the aircraft 45 degrees and seeing if the signal stays or goes away (IRL it wouldn't go away it would just get weaker, but in game they act like the beamwidth of the antennas are absolute)

2. The AGM-88 has a receiver that can be utilized as a makeshift sensor. Several modes are available to the AGM-88 that do not require the F-16 HTS pod.

HARM as Sensor (HAS) mode uses the harm itself to find, track and launch the HARM.

Preplanned HARM engagements also exist, assuming you know the rough position of the source and that its active.

Hey, thanks!

Good to know about the harms, its a system i was not familiar with. How does it know the range to target? Passive radar sensors dont know ranges, just signal strenght.

About the RWR, I didnt understand your answer, sorry. What happens when rolling that will tell me the relative altitude of thr threat?

Thanks.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Hey, thanks!

Good to know about the harms, its a system i was not familiar with. How does it know the range to target? Passive radar sensors dont know ranges, just signal strenght.

About the RWR, I didnt understand your answer, sorry. What happens when rolling that will tell me the relative altitude of thr threat?

Thanks.

Passive sensors can figure out range for surface threats really well...Without getting into signal processing and range estimation from that. If you know your own position, you can figure out where stuff is on the ground quite easily.

On rolling...Rolling shifts the RWR field of view in elevation. So if you roll left or right a few times you might get an idea of where the contact is in elevation because it will go outside the field of view and disappear. IRL, RWRs will see things that aren't in their field of view, but DCS doesn't really simulate electronic warfare past a superficial level (for now).

Edited by Sweep
words

Lord of Salt