DCS A-10C Quick Start up Manual

MemphisBelle

Nice piece of work being new at learning thr A=10 I appreciate any and all helpful info.

CPU AMD FX 8350 * core @ 4.3 GHZ/Font

MOBO ASUSSabertooth 990FX R2.0/Font

RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengence 1600/Font

Graphics 6970 & 6950 xfire

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro

Controllers Warthog & Saitec Rudder

Track IR5 3 monitors 27" LCD and 2 10" VGA

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys,

since my guide is totally outdated I think about to create a new one, just to have an up to date version, altghough there are many arounds now. Expect a new one in the next couple days.

regards

MemphisBelle

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Thanks MemphisBelle, looking forward to your next release :thumbup:

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but it seems that even the DCS manual doesn't get the startup procedures correct. Is this so?

I can't give specifics without trying to revisit all the 'startup checklist' threads that I've looked through.

If this is correct, why in the world can't we get the game manual to accurately reflect the real-world procedures for starting the A-10C? I and others shouldn't need to printout a different startup checklist for every iteration of the game.

MemphisBelle - are your checklists appropriate according to military procedures?

MemphisBelle - are your checklists appropriate according to military procedures?

I´m not sure whether it fit to any military procedures, but it´s a working one.

Actually I don´t care about that, since every RL Pilot does have it´s own way to start up his Aircraft anyway.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

MemphisBelle any progress on the update version? I prefer your startup procedures pdf then others, maybe just because you have included screenshots. I'm very visual so that helps me a lot.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Cheers:thumbup:

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

MemphisBelle any progress on the update version? I prefer your startup procedures pdf then others, maybe just because you have included screenshots. I'm very visual so that helps me a lot.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Cheers:thumbup:

Its still in work, may take until the end of the week (I am focusing Friday) My target is to have a manual which explains even the tiny but important things as there is the pinky switch in example, on the A10 throttle to manage A/C lights. I try to work as fast as I can...promissed...;).

Screenshots will again be part of the manual

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

OK guys,

I updated my Ramp Start manual up to Version 2.0.

Downloadlink in the first Post

Since Patch 1.1.0.8 some things have been changed. These conditions are all taken in this

new manual.

Nontheless, if you encounter any issues like wrong things I wrote or other gramma issues, please report back to me, so that I can fix that.

This manual includes two images, which I found on the ED Wiki. These images are respectivly marked as ressources found on the ED Wiki..

now have fun and good luck

MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Hey MB,thx for the leg work. We did need a new one.:pilotfly::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I like pretty pictures!

Your walkthrough is excellent for simple minds like mine. :thumbup:

Glad to hear that, have fun with it

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Great stuff MB!!

A couple of things I noticed:

Step 17 - should read EGI and CDU (not DCU)

Step 27 - You can also turn on your radios prior to engine start, to get permission from ATC for engine start (which you need to do prior to taxi permission) and maybe add a step on how to tune radio to ATC frequency?

Step 30 - Should be EAC and RDR ALTM switches, not both EAC switches

Step 31 - should be "Arm ejection seat"

Again great stuff and thanks for supporting the community.

Thanks for the feedback and reported issues. I´ll fix them as soon as I am home again (at work atm..;) )

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

I tested Your Check list, still yellow caution light when left engine starts is flashing.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I tested Your Check list, still yellow caution light when left engine starts is flashing.

I noticed that as well, but haven´t found a reason why yet. may it´s supposed to flash on start up engines?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and possibly look a bit silly, but, in step 6, you have the AC l/r generators turned on incorrectly

...these do not generate power until the L and R engines are running (at least a far as I understand)

The "APU gen" switch powers the AC bus when the APU is running

The "AC gen" switches power the AC bus when the corresponding engine is at full RPM

I believe your procedure should be:

- start APU, wait for full rpm

- APU Gen switch to on (AC power is generated)

- Left Engine Start, wait for idle rpm

- AC Gen left to on (left engine now generates AC power...APU Gen Caution sounds)

- Press Master caution to silence APU Gen caution

- Right Engine Start, wait for idle rpm

- AC Gen right to on (Right engine now generates AC power)

- APU Gen switch to Off

...these do not generate power until the L and R engines are running (at least a far as I understand)..

Well, that´s true. But why does the battery power supply stops, once the APU Gen switch was set to PWR and the both gen switches are set to on before both or either at least one engine is running?

There must happen somethings that makes Battery power supply unnecessary once the APU is running. May be the APU IS generating enough Power alone, to support the System and generating power for the engines to start up.

Anyway, your descripted procedure works a bit more realistic, but that would mean for me to add 6 further images and round about 2 further pages, whereas the procedure I described is working as it stands, even without any technical Problems or causing any Master Alarm.

There´re anyway hundrets of different ways to start up the Hog, mine is ment for the new players of DCS, who have not the clue of performing a start up. I have my own as well, and it´s a different one as I use in my tutorial. I am sure you don´t need guides like this as well, since you´ve your own way already, am I right?

But nontheless thanks for the advice, I think about to make use of it in the next update

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

nope, fair enough...and as Paul has said above, looks like IRL they pre-position the AC Generator switches on anyway, so your steps are legitimate (just the explanation is not...these switches have nothing to do with the APU)

..worth noting though, Battery power never actually stops being required...all the DC stuff will run from the batteries only.

All the AC stuff (including the battery charger) will run from the generator(s).

The APU Generator, and the left / right Engine generators do exactly the same job : provide AC power ...

nope, fair enough...and as Paul has said above, looks like IRL they pre-position the AC Generator switches on anyway, so your steps are legitimate (just the explanation is not...these switches have nothing to do with the APU)

..worth noting though, Battery power never actually stops being required...all the DC stuff will run from the batteries only.

All the AC stuff (including the battery charger) will run from the generator(s).

The APU Generator, and the left / right Engine generators do exactly the same job : provide AC power ...

Thanks for clearify, I include this in my next update today

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

yep agreed, great startup guide.

However there is no need to sepeare the AC Gen switches. APU up to speed? Gen pwr switch to on AND BOTH AC Gen Switches prior to starting engines, Will make no difference to startup reliability etc.

I certainly haven't noticed any.

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Well most checklists have been taken from the training mission (I'm talking about mine here and assume others too) so it's simply a case of documenting what you're taught in training.

Also you can just print the checklists from the manual, they work too.

So a win win all around I'd say :)

Personally, I do not like these checklist for new players to learn start up procedure from cold and dark state.

Maybe better way is to teach them about main systems and how it works so they can do that all by themselves.

U know, if you teach them about main principles how US aircrafts work, they will be able to start up any US aircraft (yes, there is differences, but in details) and not only A-10C.

btw, I do not want to disrespect your work, your ckecklists are great, just my opinion about approach in educating new pilots :)

Some wants to fly first before study the manual, others study first. ppl are different. That guide is made for those who want to use it.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Manual updated to Version 2.1

Issues fixed.

The most mentioned things which were discussed here. Thanks for your feedback guys and helping me to update this manual.

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection