What is the main controller of FPS in MP?

EGG

I have the below specs:

i7-930 (2.8Ghz), 24Gb RAM, GTX 980Ti, SSD

Yep this is a first gen i7 and I do need to upgrade at some point, but I'm trying to hold out until the spectre/meltdown fallout has settled a bit more and CPU's which negate most of these issues come out. Which might be without hyperthreading.. who knows.

Anyway, I presently get 40 FPS on the ground in single player and about 80+ in the air. On MP maps this drops to 20 FPS on the ground and maybe 20-30 FPS in the air. I'm not certain MP was always this bad, but DCS is an evolving beast. Graphics settings are primarily medium at the moment.

Are there any particular settings around view-distance which can affect MP FPS? I've tried playing with a few, but without much difference.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the below specs:

i7-930 (2.8Ghz), 24Gb RAM, GTX 980Ti, SSD

Yep this is a first gen i7 and I do need to upgrade at some point, but I'm trying to hold out until the spectre/meltdown fallout has settled a bit more and CPU's which negate most of these issues come out. Which might be without hyperthreading.. who knows.

Anyway, I presently get 40 FPS on the ground in single player and about 80+ in the air. On MP maps this drops to 20 FPS on the ground and maybe 20-30 FPS in the air. I'm not certain MP was always this bad, but DCS is an evolving beast. Graphics settings are primarily medium at the moment.

Are there any particular settings around view-distance which can affect MP FPS? I've tried playing with a few, but without much difference.

Intel will release his next gen CPUs (Cascade Lake) somewhere in April, which will be Spectre/Meltdown bug free ;)

Regarding your problem with the old CPU, you must overclock it to squeeze every Hz out of it as it WILL matter for DCS performance. You should have the shadows turned OFF and the view distance medium/high. Nothing much you can do about it though..

Edited by amazingme

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5