Warbirds ground handling

Xxx

I have just installed the latest stable DCS World, so thought I would re visit all the WW2 Warbirds.

The graphics have all been updated, which is nice, however I couldn't help but notice something which seems to be inhereant in all flight models of the period aircraft.

Ths is just my opinion, but I think they all lack inertia when on the ground. Added to this is a torque factor which we can not adjust. If the ground inertia could be increased by about 30%, I think it would assist in ground handling, take off and landing.

The amount of rudder and toe braking required to keep straight on the runway seems excessive. Whilst I appreciate a 2000 HP engine strapped to a light aerobatic airframe caused exciting handling, I think there is too much torque for the flight models. This spoils the simulation and suspension of disbelief. Of course this is my opinion. If we could have a slider in the settings, like FSX/P3D, that permitted adjustment of torque or p factor, it would help?

Even with good stick and rudder controls on my sim, it's easy to end up sliding sideways from the runway and onto the grass! A slow careful build up of power helps a little, but there is not enough rudder authority to keep straight without use of wheel brakes.

Wind in the sim is another subject, needless to say a crosswind take off and landing isn't really on!

This is, of course, using the simulation setting and not the "game" setting, which I haven't tried.

These are my ideas and not meant as moans. I would really like the WW2 aspect of the sim to be as great as the modern era aircraft!:thumbup:

Tally Ho!

Edited by Accipiter
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Can't say I agree with you. The powertrain effects are strong, but not overtly so. Flying the Mustang and/or the Dora I always takeoff without any differential braking whatsoever. And this applies to crosswind takeoffs as well.

PS. Though it has to be noted that both aforementioned AC have wide wheelbases and lockable tailwheels making things somewhat easier.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I'm sorry to not completely agree with you. Since every WWII warbird release I think everyone of them are easier to tackle with than first release version and they are somewhat "tamed" (or dumbed down) a bit, of course they have their quirks as the high powered tail draggers they are but in general they are quite manageable IMO and not as wild beasts as they were at the very release moment. That feeling of "ease" maybe due to oneself getting used to them, who knows, but I thin there's a bit of it and it's not only in my mind as other people also have said the same around here.

No, they aren't too tough, they are what they are and pretty much spot on even though there were recent changes in ground drag. Still ground handling is pretty much the same, just tires behaviour with regard to drag is a bit different but I think what they should be when operated from concrete runways as opposed to grass strips.

Torque is spot on and this is the one and only simulation out there resembling the at least four different things that "torque" really is and what it should be, so sorry, no, it's perfect as it is, don't dare to touch a damn thing of it.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I'm sorry to not completely agree with you. Since every WWII warbird release I think everyone of them are easier to tackle with than first release version and they are somewhat "tamed" (or dumbed down) a bit, of course they have their quirks as the high powered tail draggers they are but in general they are quite manageable IMO and not as wild beasts as they were at the very release moment. That feeling of "ease" maybe due to oneself getting used to them, who knows, but I thin there's a bit of it and it's not only in my mind as other people also have said the same around here.

No, they aren't too tough, they are what they are and pretty much spot on even though there were recent changes in ground drag. Still ground handling is pretty much the same, just tires behaviour with regard to drag is a bit different but I think what they should be when operated from concrete runways as opposed to grass strips.

Torque is spot on and this is the one and only simulation out there resembling the at least four different things that "torque" really is and what it should be, so sorry, no, it's perfect as it is, don't dare to touch a damn thing of it.

S!

I must say that I agree very much that Torque is something that DCS has done very well and I wish other flight simulations did it as well.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

somewhat "tamed" (or dumbed down)

Disagree. Flew the Stang a lot when she first came out, then shelved her for various reasons, and only picked her up again after a longish break. She was the same, there were no changes whatsoever.

The thing is, you get used to stuff. And stuff feels easier, because you're used to it.

So you're talking about the wheel sideways friction coefficients. Both the Mustang and the Dora have theirs at tailWheelSideFricK = 0.6 and mainWheelSideFricK = 0.73, which is how they were in v1.5 as well so no change there. And yes, it's pretty easy to scrape a wing on landing in both if you don't watch what you're doing.

About the Kurfürst and the Spit, no idea. Apparently something was changed there that made a bunch of people throw their toys out of the pram. No comment on that since I never fly them myself.

Only aspect I can comment on is the feel of the "lack of inertia" in ground operations.

All of the modules feel "too loose" when I apply thrust on ground. The inertia while taxiing is very reduced, but of course I can't compare with the real thing - I have far from any experience with such types ...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Not sure about that either JComm. Feels to me I have to rev up a fair bit before I get them moving. But then, that's just me.
I'd say the same for me.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice