Steam Release Date Update

NineLine

• ED Team

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and Persian Gulf Map for DCS World - Available 1 June 2018 on Steam!

From the updated FAQ

Q: Will the Hornet also be available on Steam?

A: Certainly, and we plan to release it and the Persian Gulf map for Steam on Friday, the 1st of June 2018.

Please note that they were able to bring you the release earlier, but the discount will only be available to standalone users. If you need the discount, then consider switching to the standalone, or wait for a Steam sale.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

If you need the discount, then consider switching to the standalone, or wait for a Steam sale.

You make it sound like "Switching" doesn't include a fairly substantial financial investment due to the policy of modules not being transferrable after the Mirage.

If you're trading off the discount for the earlier release date on Steam, I don't know if you guys made the right call there.

Acidic

Hoggit Admin / Server Owner / Mission Maker

Discord: https://discord.gg/hoggit

GAW Website: https://atwar.online

Wiki: https://hoggitworld.com

You make it sound like "Switching" doesn't include a fairly substantial financial investment due to the policy of modules not being transferrable after the Mirage.

If you're trading off the discount for the earlier release date on Steam, I don't know if you guys made the right call there.

+1

• ED Team
So, why did you guys ditch the discount (that you promised in the FAQ and is now edited away)?

We had originally planned to bring it to Steam customers after the Hornet was complete and out of Open Beta, which will take months. As a form of compensation, we had planned to provide the same discount as the e-Shop pre-purchase for the first week of Steam sales. After hearing from our Steam customers though, we understand it’s important to offer it without delay. As such, we will release the Hornet to our Steam users the same week as our e-Shop users. However, because of this, we can no longer offer the discount given the conditon of the discount no longer exists.

• ED Team
I really think this will result in way more negative reviews than the other way around.

Also: will the aircraft participate in summer steam sales?

Many people have already stated they are happy they wont have to wait months for the Hornet, so we will see.

And Valve's rules on release pricing wont allow it to go on sale for a few months.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

However, because of this, we can no longer offer the discount given the conditon of the discount no longer exists.

That condition wasn't really conveyed to anyone in the wording of the original FAQ though.

Q: Will the Hornet also be available on Steam?

A: Certainly, and with a discount for the first week because the Hornet will not be available for pre-purchase on Steam. It will release on Steam once we have a build we feel offers a quality, complete experience. We have no time estimate when this will happen.

And Valve's rules on release pricing wont allow it to go on sale for a few months.

I don't think this is true. Valve offers launch day sales provided that you don't want to put the items in a seasonal sale within 30 days of your launch sale (the policies are public). Then again I'm not entirely sure if this is different for DLCs but it doesn't state that anywhere in the policy.

Acidic

• ED Team
That condition wasn't really conveyed to anyone in the wording of the original FAQ though.

We were certainly bracing for a long wait on the the Hornet.

"It will release on Steam once we have a build we feel offers a quality experience."

This could have meant months as more complete systems would have been needed to offer a quality experience. And by the time the Hornet is available to be put up on sale sounds like it could be months anyways, so if you wait for a sale, you are basically getting the old deal, besides that it will be available sooner at full price.

64Sig.png

I think I understand the shift then. You're allowing people to grab it on Steam earlier than anticipated so they could get it at the same time as Standalone people. The sale _may_ still happen when it comes out of Early Access on Steam, but we don't know yet.

Does that seem fair?

Acidic

I don't quite understand. What was the condition of the discount on Steam that no longer exists? Is this just a way of saying that they took away the discount or is there something preventing ED from discounting these mods on Steam initially like ED had they said they were going to?

Is it that the discount is being taken away because these modules are releasing earlier than ED had expected them to on Steam, based off of feedback about demand for these modules on Steam?

Whatever the case, this is bittersweet news. I was excited to get both modules day one on Steam, but now am unsure. I really hope ED changes their mind about this.

I think I understand the shift then. You're allowing people to grab it on Steam earlier than anticipated so they could get it at the same time as Standalone people. The sale _may_ still happen when it comes out of Early Access on Steam, but we don't know yet.

Does that seem fair?

Yes, it does.

It needs to be explained clearly as a new option, and people will be ok with it i think.

• ED Team

Does that seem fair?

The Hornet will go on sale, down the road, of this I have no doubt. And before this, the Hornet would have been available, down the road. The only difference now really is that...

1) you will need to wait for a Steam Sale instead of a release discount if you don't want to pay full price

2) you now have the option, IF you so chose, to purchase the Hornet and a less complete state and earlier on Steam than was planned at full price

If you lay it all out on paper, its not really that big of a change EXCEPT for the Hornet being available on Steam on June 1st. You were NEVER getting the Hornet June 1st with a discount.

64Sig.png

I don't quite understand. What was the condition of the discount on Steam that no longer exists? Is this just a way of saying that they took away the discount or is there something preventing ED from discounting these mods on Steam initially like ED had they said they were going to?

Is it that the discount is being taken away because these modules are releasing earlier than ED had expected them to on Steam, based off of feedback about demand for these modules on Steam?

Whatever the case, this is bittersweet news. I was excited to get both modules day one on Steam, but now am unsure. I really hope ED changes their mind about this.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn on this. But after a few discussions with others I think the condition of the discount was that they wouldn't be releasing it on Steam until it was out of Open Beta.

The shift is that they're now offering people on Steam to buy it earlier, potentially much earlier, but they won't offer the same discount as part of it. If you wait before buying it on Steam until around the time it may have been released before, you may find a sale on the module at that time.

I guess all this is doing is offering an option for Steam people to get it now and pay full price, or wait (like they would have had to before) for a discount.

Acidic

• ED Team
Yes, it does.

It needs to be explained clearly as a new option, and people will be ok with it i think.

I want a game on Steam, I wont list it because I dont want to break my own rules. I have 2 choices. I can buy it now at full price, or wait for a sale. If I wait, there will be patches and new content available for it, almost always is. It pretty much is coloured the same here. Except the Hornet is fricken awesome, and I understand how hard it is to make someone wait for a sale if the dont have the money.

64Sig.png

The Hornet will go on sale, down the road, of this I have no doubt. And before this, the Hornet would have been available, down the road. The only difference now really is that...

1) you will need to wait for a Steam Sale instead of a release discount if you don't want to pay full price

2) you now have the option, IF you so chose, to purchase the Hornet and a less complete state and earlier on Steam than was planned at full price

If you lay it all out on paper, its not really that big of a change EXCEPT for the Hornet being available on Steam on June 1st. You were NEVER getting the Hornet June 1st with a discount.

Sounds clear and makes sense to me.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn on this. But after a few discussions with others I think the condition of the discount was that they wouldn't be releasing it on Steam until it was out of Open Beta.

The shift is that they're now offering people on Steam to buy it earlier, potentially much earlier, but they won't offer the same discount as part of it. If you wait before buying it on Steam until around the time it may have been released before, you may find a sale on the module at that time.

I guess all this is doing is offering an option for Steam people to get it now and pay full price, or wait (like they would have had to before) for a discount.

Makes more sense when you put it that way.

I guess the only hiccup is that this wasn't really conveyed well in the original FAQ. It said the hornet would be discounted on release. Now they've brought the release forward, people just assumed that the same discount would still apply.

I guess they should have been clearer in their original wording as to why the discount was being applied. The discount was due to the longer wait time expected for steam users. Because that wasn't stated, people now feel like they've been cheated out of a discount. Even though they weren't going to get it anyway.

• ED Team

I guess the only hiccup is that this wasn't really conveyed well in the original FAQ. It said the hornet would be discounted on release. Now they've brought the release forward, people just assumed that the same discount would still apply.

I guess they should have been clearer in their original wording as to why the discount was being applied. The discount was due to the longer wait time expected for steam users. Because that wasn't stated, people now feel like they've been cheated out of a discount. Even though they weren't going to get it anyway.

You're right, and that's on me. I should have been clearer why the discount was being given. For that, I apologize for the miscommunication.

yeah, the wording of the previous statement on the FAQ implies that because pre-release purchasing of the Hornet is not possible on STEAM, that is why for the first week of release on STEAM, the Hornet would be discounted... At least that is how I read it.

With that said, I am happy that we STEAM users can get our filthy paws on the Hornet and Persian Gulf map sooner so I can enjoy flying online with my buds. But I too am disappointed that as a STEAM user I am not given the opportunity for some savings on launch. If it is at all possible to do for the STEAM user base, I would seriously evaluate re-considering that decision on the part of ED. As, I have read for the past hour it is inflaming STEAM DCS users... Mis-communication or not, it was clearly stated that STEAM users would have the same discount that standalone pre-purchasers would have for a 1 week period. And the reason given is because STEAM users are unable to pre-purchase the Hornet module.

I can see both sides of the argument, and i'm not picking sides but this has the makings of splitting the DCS community, STEAM vs. Standalone even more... As does Open beta vs. Stable branches.

Yeah, but there is a problem with this logic here. Standalone users got a discount for pre-ordering the new map and Hornet, not for waiting longer than Steam users. I don't think there was anything preventing ED from offering that same pre-order and discount to Steam users. They just didn't. Steam users are still getting the modules after standalone, and now they are just making them pay more.

Wish I would have known about this whole standalone vs Steam nonsense before I got into DCS World. Really takes away from my excitement about these and future modules.

As a way of offering a discount to STEAM users, why not have a discount offer of purchasing the Hornet and Persian Gulf map together as a bundle? Was that considered in all the decision making going on at ED?

• ED Team
As a way of offering a discount to STEAM users, why not have a discount offer of purchasing the Hornet and Persian Gulf map together as a bundle? Was that considered in all the decision making going on at ED?

They were never intended to release together, the June 1st release of the Hornet for Steam was just picked in the last 24-48 hours. And they bundle it together for Steam, and then standalone people are pissed off, its just a fun marry-go-round.

64Sig.png

The stand-alone people shouldn't get pissed off, they got a pre-purchase discount on both modules

right now the STEAM users are getting the short end of the stick, I mean thank you for releasing those modules earlier on STEAM so we can enjoy it now rather than months later (which was never really disclosed in clear language until now)

I really would like to see the two distribution platforms become equal rather than this back and forth between the two. Using STEAM as a platform is bringing DCS exposure to the masses, its far more visible than the DCS E-store.

Some type of monetary discount as a concession for non ability to pre-purchase these modules on Steam should be absolutely necessary to keep things even between Steam and Standalone, and would prove to be a better business practice when it comes to STEAM users.

With all that said, I think a mature respectful conversation and expressions of views is much more constructive and professional than the majority of rants I have been reading about this issue today.

The stand-alone people shouldn't get pissed off, they got a pre-purchase discount on both modules

For PG, it actually worked out cheaper to NOT pre-order, buy on release day and use your store credit!

But that's completely beside the point.

How hard is it to understand that the discount was being offered because of the large delay in getting the Hornet to steam?

Now they are being nice and bringing the release forward, therefore no discount.

If I were ED, I'd dump steam altogether and go back to standalone only.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai