Memory Limit/Load Issues

NineLine

im still wondering, do i need 64gb of ram now? im okay for improving hardware if it will help.

Reloading a mission x2 when i play multiplayer does not bother me.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there really no memory leak?

Attached is a trivial track from a trivial mission (two aircraft flying in a straight line at 10000m). No visible trees, no fancy details, buildings etc.

I tried to record a (very boring) video from this track using the mission editor built-in function. I managed to record about 40 seconds of the video at the native resolution of 2560x1600 at 60fps before I had to kill it because it was swapping like crazy (this was with 32GB RAM and SSD).

DCS.exe grew to almost 50GB allocated memory (not counting code and static data) before I killed it.

memory.trk

DCS_memory.thumb.png.d5dfc6779fef01b371b73877311c84c7.png

If I just run the sim then I don't see a memory leak. But my point was not just that it is using huge amounts of memory but that it was growing continuously without bounds.

Edit: 2560x1600 isn't 4K (it's about half the pixels of 4K) and frame rate doesn't matter since it's not being recorded in real time anyway. Still, that's kind of besides the point.

Edited by bolek

@Nineline I was wondering...when you load into multiplayer it usually takes a few minutes before you can move freely on the slot list and then another few minutes until the plane and the environment gets assembled below you.

Is this part of the mission load management also addressed/improved in the new updates?

Or more likely for you being allowed to talk about...is it being looked at?

cheers,

WELD

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Funny how having 2.1 version running I had no issues then after the 2.5 conversion and the last 2 updates my game has gone from bad to worse. This game has issues wither you want to admit it or not. I can only hope that ED gets their techs on it and gets it fixed. For most of us we have machines that for all tense and purposes should be shredding this game up but we still have long load times and bugs in the game. We should not have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on newer equipment after every update that comes out.

For now I sit back and wait to see how long it will take ED to fix this game. I will not be spending any more money on anything until I see the release version stable and running smooth.

Edited by uscstaylor

Put my graphics to low, crashes are still happening. Worse, actually. Can confirm, more objects and clutter is not the problem. Not sure about memory leak, but I'm not convinced that DCS being "more demanding" is the problem. For now, a memory leak still looks like a possible cause.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Issues

+1 usctaylor

You seem to have hit the nail on the head with the same issues we’ve found ... since 2.5 long loading times stutter and pausing on a/c selection screens followed by another long pause followed by selection followed by pauses and then finally partial a/c cockpit load..and short time later in game .

Probably like others I went from a Haswell i7 4790k OC @4.6Ghz, 16Ghz with a 970 then a 1070 to what is the current latest i7 8700k @5ghz and 1080ti 32Mb DDR4 expecting wonders only to see poor core usage and what seems dire performance .... tbh the cost upgrade across my whole system has been pretty disappointing and just goes to show how little intel perf gains seem to have .... looking forward to a AMD “Empire Strikes Back” moment....

My only possible limitation is that all this is with using Rift all the time ... maybe some testing back on screen time is needed to check if it’s just that current GPU tech isn’t man enough and still struggling to give the performance that manufactures seem to think is possible .... really don’t want to go back as I feel VR is a must for this game and waiting for v2 of this tech...

Any thoughts and pointers or what people have found most welcome ...

Jim

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Funny how having 2.1 version running I had no issues then after the 2.5 conversion and the last 2 updates my game has gone from bad to worse. This game has issues wither you want to admit it or not. I can only hope that ED gets their techs on it and gets it fixed.

Exactly this!

On Tuesday I was flying single player mission over Nevada 2.2 with about 25-30 fps downtown Vegas.

On Wednesday the update came. Removed 2.2, 1.5, installed 2.5 clean. Now the same mission on the same rig with the same settings gives me sub 20 fps. :cry:

Are we sure that it's RAM that's the issue?

My system RAM is rarely maxed out. However, on complex missions, I do see my 8GB of VRAM sometimes maxed out and then a resultant and large Pagefile on my SSD being created.

Is the issue not with normal RAM, but with the use of video RAM?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The idea I had which would lower the install size for most people could also be used to lower the memory footprint, and even better in Multiplayer with a lot of different people using different skins. I think I explained this idea in much detail quite some time ago in a thread (or maybe I only wrote a draft and never posted the thread)

It's the idea of packing skins into downloadable submodules, and that they're not installed by default, only one primary core skin would be packaged with each module, then you could install them through the ingame shop just like you do everything else, to make it simpler all the additional skins could be in one submodule, not each in their own module, while it would be less flexible it would be less e-shop clutter, but I would make them hidden unless the parent module is installed, but also a popup dialog asking if they should be installed along the way when doing the parent module, including for the skins that are part of the core DCS World free installer.

When a user does not have the additional skins downloaded and installed, the engine would simply be designed use fallback option which would be the core default module skin, the user would see all F-15's with the same skin on his computer.

This would also lower the memory usage because you would need less different texture, only one set of files ... but in case of textures it should only affect VRAM usage, no so much system RAM but I don't want to say I'm 100% sure.

by no means does ED demand you guys upgrade to 32GB

Sure. I feel like I would just add a little bit of unofficial spice to that ... "for now" ;) Never demand ofcourse, but one day that could become the "higly recommended" or even "minimum" hehe.

Also why isn't VRAM being also mentioned in the talks? Not because it would be an issue in this case, but just so that area is also checked, since even I missed it back then until I specifically checked it with special micorosft tool for developers, many different things can cause stuttering and one of those is low VRAM. Some percentage of people could be misreporting things. Only now with the latest Win10 update has Microsoft included basic info about the GPUs in the Task Manager.

I have suggested quite some time ago that DCS options page and the system info (CTRL + PAUSE) should clearly show the current RAM and VRAM usage separately right there in-game, along with the limits:

• System RAM or Main RAM or RAM: current used MB / total limit MB
  • Graphics RAM or Video RAM or VRAM: 5500 MB / 8192 MB

Currently it still shows "Video memory: total count of loaded stuff (textures?) MB" the number does not variate, it just shows what I think is how much stuff was loaded and keeps increasing as you navigate the map, that might have some developer usage, but not really helpful for any users.

Some changes were made, the most obvious one was that the color of system info changed from yellow to orange, but without my suggestions.

I'm not talking about a complex prediction system like some games have (GTA4, GTA5), where it tells you ahead what the use might be depending on the options you choose, but this is simple stuff.

RAM and VRAM usage could also be displayed while the mission loads. And if one of them come over the limit, there could be some warning, possibly audio only, or popup or combination of both, which could be disabled in options.

Well I’ve got 32 gigs of ram already and it still takes forever to load most missions. Hoping what’s “in the pipe” corrects it. It’s more of a hassle than anything.

Did you install DCS on a SSD?

Magnetic/Hard Disc Drives are below the official minimum requirements for DCS 2.5

I do some tests ...

0hrOXH0.png

I'm not sure what do you mean here, what kind of test is this, could you explain these pictures.

40000 MB of pagefile ?

im still wondering, do i need 64gb of ram now? im okay for improving hardware if it will help.

Reloading a mission x2 when i play multiplayer does not bother me.

I would say no, 64GB would be overkill if you are taking price into account and the fact that when you will really need 64GB it will be like 5 years later when you'll need new hardware and RAM type anyway.

People who want to upgrade should target 32GB, not 16GB, but 24GB might be a good compromise too. But 32GB won't help you unless you have at least 8GB of VRAM.

I have 24GB simply because I would have to replace my low-profile (mistake) CPU Cooler first, to get space around the two empty slots.

Attached is a trivial track from a trivial mission (two aircraft flying in a straight line at 10000m). No visible trees, no fancy details, buildings etc.

I tried to record a (very boring) video from this track using the mission editor built-in function. I managed to record about 40 seconds of the video at the native resolution of 2560x1600 at 60fps before I had to kill it because it was swapping like crazy (this was with 32GB RAM and SSD).

DCS.exe grew to almost 50GB allocated memory (not counting code and static data) before I killed it.

That doesn't look normal to me, at all, but I've never played much with track replays, yet.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Good point coxy, I noted that when I spawn in .... map O' water then the ground draws on top

same if you F2 a plane that is on the far side of the map from you

hmmm other random musings, until ED can fix this issue

Missions makers

What if reduce the amount of skins being used on aircraft ?

eg instead of having 3 different skins on a bunch of choppers keep it to one ?

Server hosters

Untick the allow player to change skins, so less skin textures needed to be loaded ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I'm not sure what do you mean here, what kind of test is this, could you explain these pictures.

40000 MB of pagefile ?...

Tested how much VRAM/RAM is used in missions, depending on what's in the mission. I think that everything is clear in the first two charts.

40000 MB of pagefile ?

This chart confused you i think and there are just sum of used resources (not pagefile):

WBJ3pWP.png

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Missions makers

What if reduce the amount of skins being used on aircraft ?

eg instead of having 3 different skins on a bunch of choppers keep it to one ?

Server hosters

Untick the allow player to change skins, so less skin textures needed to be loaded ?

Did you see the idea I just posted about skins. Do you like it?

Tested how much VRAM/RAM is used in missions, depending on what's in the mission. I think that everything is clear in the first two charts.

This chart confused you i think and there are just sum of used resources (not pagefile)

Sorry, I still don't understand. You mean, you have 64 GB RAM ? I just don't get what the pagefile has to do with it. Where did you get these numbers from? There's simply not enough context.

Usually things that are inactive in other programs are put to pagefile, and the reserved allocation, and that means little memory from DCS should go to pagefile because when it's needed you would get an ugly stutter. While a SSD would make the use of pagefile way more transparent, It's also not healthy for SSD life.

But Win10 seems to work fine with me now using a tiny 2GB pagefile, just so suck up some of the background stuff and empty allocations.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Tested on GTX 780ti, 16GB RAM, AMD FX6100, SSD Samsung 850 evo.

...Sorry, I still don't understand. You mean, you have 64 GB RAM ?...

I understand that you don`t understand.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

I understand that you don`t understand.

Best post I have read today , thanks for that :megalol:

genuine loled

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

The idea I had which would lower the install size for most

I would say no, 64GB would be overkill if you are taking price into account and the fact that when you will really need 64GB it will be like 5 years later when you'll need new hardware and RAM type anyway.

People who want to upgrade should target 32GB, not 16GB, but 24GB might be a good compromise too. But 32GB won't help you unless you have at least 8GB of VRAM.

I have 24GB simply because I would have to replace my low-profile (mistake) CPU Cooler first, to get space around the

Thanks

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

For me i believe its definetely VRAM related. I am still on a amd 7870 with 2gb which effectively translates into a bit less than 1900mb VRAM and that was sufficient for 2.1 NTTR with everything pretty much maxed out (although deffered shading off) to provide for good fps. Over Vegas it was a bit less, but since the actual action mostly happend some place else, no problem. 2.5 Caucasus is not playable, even if i lower settings so that memory usage stays around 4.5-5ish gb during a simple mission (16gb installed). The mesh inscrease, all the forests and trees just add up and i reckon 4gb VRAM is the new lowest minimum requirement.

Until GPU prices have come down to a reasonable level, i fear 2.5 Caucasus stays on the shelf for me.

@Nineline I was wondering...when you load into multiplayer it usually takes a few minutes before you can move freely on the slot list and then another few minutes until the plane and the environment gets assembled below you.

Hey Weld, I see the same thing happen and wrote a post a while ago where you can just wait out your time on the F10 map. I've found that once you can freely move about the map, you can jump into a cockpit with no delays or rendering to worry about: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203376

:book:

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

All I see is 4GB RX560 GPU running at 100% constant using all the vRam. 24GB Ram at around 9-10GB. CPU around 50%. 24GB Pagefile.

I also use the 5ghz wifi network with 22mbps up and 8 down over 802.11n.

Edited by Elliottc26
clarity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gumbo's Flying Circus - Visit Twitch to Watch!

PC Specs: 2700x @ 4Ghz, 32Gb 3200 DDR4, 8GB Palit RTX 2080, Intel SSD7 NvMe, Samsung 860 Evo SSD, AOC G2460PF 144hz 1ms 1080p Freesync monitor, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackHat :pilotfly:

2560x1600x60 FPS Even w/ Fast Lossless Codec is gonna need a HUGE Frame Buffer.

my 4K Editing Rig uses 128GB of DDR4 Ram, and a RAID-0 PCIe SSD.

The 128GB is Required for the Frame Buffer, and the PCIe SSDs in raid are required to be able to write the file fast enough before the frame buffer takes up the entire system ram.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Managed to go into the 104th today for a couple of hours of multiplayer fun and had no issues. I had VSync on and it never dropped below the 60 FPS. Somehow I avoided what others have been experiencing.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Is the problem beneath the map so it is having to draw and render a map full of water? Surely at high settings this would use lots of resource?

Bingo.. that`s my thoughts as well, the whole map is built on top of ocean.

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL