Memory Limit/Load Issues

NineLine

I do some tests for Heavy Mission term topic and in meantime this thread is started. Anyway, i agree... is not memory leak. Just DCS need RAM for HeavyMissions.

What are Heavy Missions?

The worst thing a that mission designer can do is to make mission "ALL INCLUSIVE".

They have to do thematic missions. If some aircraft/unit is not needed for mission - don`t include it. Simple and better for all.

If you guys are interested, look next charts from my testing.

Tested on GTX 780ti, 16GB RAM, AMD FX6100, SSD Samsung 850 evo.

WbmhQaT.png

M1,M2,...M14 - mission variations

M1-M7: All DCS ground units included and some ships.

M8-M11 and M12: No ground units, no ships

M13: No ground units., Ships included

M14: No Ships. Ground units included.

jqM9EHt.png

SQHgFaA.png

0hrOXH0.png

WBJ3pWP.png

If you don`t have 64GB RAM avoid ALL INCLUSIVE servers/missions.

If you don`t have 8GB GPU and 32GB RAM avoid ALL INCLUSIVE servers/missions.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one thing that needs to be understood aswell, maybe the server you're joining is far from having recommanded specs and induces this stuttering to you.

I'm glad you're working on it, haven't had much issues with 2.5 and 16gb of ram tbh. Maybe low fps on ground but my CPU needs upgrading

I do some tests for Heavy Mission term topic and in meantime this thread is started. Anyway, i agree... is not memory leak. Just DCS need RAM for HeavyMissions.

What are Heavy Missions?

The worst thing a that mission designer can do is to make mission "ALL INCLUSIVE".

They have to do thematic missions. If some aircraft/unit is not needed for mission - don`t include it. Simple and better for all.

If you guys are interested, look next charts from my testing.

Tested on GTX 780ti, 16GB RAM, AMD FX6100, SSD Samsung 850 evo.

WbmhQaT.png

M1,M2,...M14 - mission variations

M1-M7: All DCS ground units included and some ships.

M8-M11 and M12: No ground units, no ships

M13: No ground units., Ships included

M14: No Ships. Ground units included.

jqM9EHt.png

SQHgFaA.png

0hrOXH0.png

WBJ3pWP.png

If you don`t have 64GB RAM avoid ALL INCLUSIVE servers/missions.

If you don`t have 8GB GPU and 32GB RAM avoid ALL INCLUSIVE servers/missions.

i have 24gb of ram now. All i need to do is upgrade to 64gb of ram?

Thanks for the charts.

Yes i should of added the [tag] sorry.

Edited by will-

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Indeed, I second cichlidfan with the 64GB question. Is there any difference from 32 to 64GB now ?

I am stuck with 4x8 now but who knows, TR2 might be looking good and 64GB :)

Don't complain that it uses RAM as it should, that is what RAM is for, being used !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hello... I too am waiting for a resolution .... at present I upgraded my rig to what I personally think should be thrashing through this game and yet it seems to take ages to load into certain MP servers - note 104th seems to be really bad at the mo, blue flag not so ...

My specs ... i7 8700k OC to 5Ghz, 32gb 3200mhz, 2x Samsung 512gb 960 evo m.2’s for OS / game drive, ASUS z370 Gaming -F, Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme ......playing with Rift & TH Warthog.

Usual rift settings with msaa 2x, anisotropic 8x, shadows flat .....

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello... I too am waiting for a resolution .... at present I upgraded my rig to what I personally think should be thrashing through this game and yet it seems to take ages to load into certain MP servers - note 104th seems to be really bad at the mo, blue flag not so ...

My specs ... i7 8700k OC to 5Ghz, 32gb 3200mhz, 2x Samsung 512gb 960 evo m.2’s for OS / game drive, ASUS z370 Gaming -F, Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme ......playing with Rift & TH Warthog.

Usual rift settings with msaa 2x, anisotropic 8x, shadows flat .....

Been in the 104th a hour or so ago with my 16gb RAM and 850 SSD and got in there fine, however I did preload the mission in the ME beforehand....

Indeed, I second cichlidfan with the 64GB question. Is there any difference from 32 to 64GB now ?

About $500 ..

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

About $500 ..

haha..yeah sure, that's another story.

Kidding aside, 22GB + 30GBG Swap justify that question.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Buy a 256 GB USB Stick w/ Decent Read/write speed and set it as a ReadyBoost Drive

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Evening Mustang ...

Don’t take this as a server bashing, I along with my bother have spent many a recent night trying to work through our rigs, from fresh os installs to moving the game installs from ssd to m.2 including full game wipes and re-download.... we’ve done non-multiplayer loads and don’t seem to be getting the same issues, we have worked through dropping settings etc...etc..

The only item that we both seem to conclude on is when first loading into MP games, and certain servers sometimes it will stall and crash ...after backing out and reloading a 2nd time, load times reduce dramatically ..... I’m also sat on a 200mb broadband connection and barring server location don’t really hit high pings. Our findings are by no means conclusive but I would be interested in others findings...

Jim

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

About $500 ..

All told, I have about $5000 in my sim rig, so $500 is not a significant amount of money, if the additional memory would make a difference.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS is a professional product. It needs what its need. Its necessary to buy the fitting hardware (RAM or Graphic). In my Opinion there is no discuss and no crying should be

allowed. I also have to invest into a new Graphic Card and will save my money until I can buy it. Wonder me about these whiners and complaints. :huh:

So from your post doing the following should reduce RAM use

1. Reduce textures (Textures and Terrain Textures)

2. Reduce preload radius to a lower value

Both of these should help out ? and reduce the amount of RAM being used ?

If you examine the issue yourself, you will see that a large amount is used on launch of a mission, and then it stabilizes, the issue happens when people hit their RAM limit before it can stabilize. The pre-loader will help, but untill then the only option is reduce the RAM load or increase the RAM limit.

All told, I have about $5000 in my sim rig, so $500 is not a significant amount of money, if the additional memory would make a difference.

unless you fly missions with 150+ units, it won't .... :thumbup: I'm doing fine with 16 so ...

I just upgraded from 8g of ram to 32 and it was the best decision not even with dcs but with other VR games as well. In dcs I went from 20 minute load times, I would shudder like crazy for the first 5 minutes and randomly while in flight to now loading with in minutes and no shuttering what so ever. It also increased my FPS.

Johnny_Rico & 100KIAP_Falcon, thanks for your testing, I love to see hard data.

When I had a 32 GB RAM rig, I typically used 20-25 GB at the most during those early load times on a multiplayer server.

I picked up a new rig (see signature) with 128 GB and the usage stays about the same, 20-25 GB. Also, with all the cores I have, DCS maxes out only one core and uses half of another. All the rest just hum along at 0-1%.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

When playing, I will have butter-smooth frames. But at random (or when not random, it's if I am up close to an explosion or crash) DCS will freeze to a black screen, then crash. I checked task manager, and 14 of my 16GB was available for usage, and it looked like 14GB was what was being used while playing DCS.

Is this what you mean, Nine? My available RAM tops out, and DCS crashes? Just want to confirm, because I've been blaming a lot of my problems on my Radeon RX 470.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Buy a 256 GB USB Stick w/ Decent Read/write speed and set it as a ReadyBoost Drive

Works only on old ISA disks if you run Windows 7.

Since ReadyBoost will not provide a performance gain when the primary disk is an SSD, Windows 7 disables ReadyBoost when reading from an SSD drive.

Computers with fast hard disks (such as 7,200- or 10,000-RPM disks) might realize minimal performance gains because of the already high disk I/O.

Process Lasso ; re: Trim Virtual Memory

Hey guys,

This post is to clarify the issues that some have been having with 2.5, and to clarify what is going on, and the best way to approach working with it.

First, this is NOT a memory leak. A memory leak would be that usage of RAM continues to increase during running of the sim until it uses all you memory and the program crashes or stops responding.

What is actually happening is that with 2.5 and all its new features, people are hitting their RAM limit on load of maps. Why? Well 2.5 has added higher object counts, from collide-able trees, new buildings, more buildings, and other objects to make the maps look more alive and detailed. Include in this higher detailed textures and you can see how more RAM is needed.

Currently ED is testing a solution that will help much of this. The initial version of the dynamic texture unload manager which will greatly improve performance for heavy online missions is currently under test and should be available for users within the coming two weeks. We apologise for the delay but a last minute issue arose with this module.

What can you do while you wait? Adjusting older missions from 1.5, especially for multiplayer, by removing un-needed units can help. Mission design can really help manage RAM usage, and for the time being will be the best bet to help. As well, look at your computer specs, by no means does ED demand you guys upgrade to 32GB, but if you are running 8GB, you may need to evolve with the times, and understand that as ED offers bigger more detailed environments, the demands on your system will need to evolve as well.

I hope this clarifies a little more of what is going on, and that ED is truly working to make this the best experience for all.

https://bitsum.com/?inproduct

Currently using the freebie, probably will buy into it later.

I open and preload this so I can get quick access to it. It is in the background running.

When running DCS in Multiplayer, bring up the "Active Processes" tab (Left Alt + Tab) ,

Then scroll down to "Trim Virtual Memory"

I do this several times during my online session.

This process helps me. I use the 64-bit version .

Had to tune the DCS System setup back a wee bit. Not running maxed out.

I can play good enough online on 104th, and the CiriBob Blue Flag and similar themed servers.

-+-

I am still running Windows 7 Pro , Asus GeForce GTX 970 and 16GB RAM .

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I upgraded from 16gb to 32gb it was a massive improvement in DCS. Like Nineline said, pc gamers need to evolve with time and always continue to do system upgrades. Thanks for the news ED!

+1

Is on my wish-list .

Currently Alienware Aurora R3 with a 2011 era 046MHW motherboard and i7-2600 CPU

I am just about maxed-out upgraded as far as I can go.

I thought I read somewhere this motherboard could go to 32 GB RAM ; but 16GB seems to be my limit.

New desktop rig one of these days...

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When, just ordered another 16 GB to bring myself up to 32 GB. The good thing with DDR4 RAM is it should be able to grow with my system when I upgrade again.

I hope it works for you. Mismatched memory sets are a bit of hit and miss proposition.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: