VAICOM/VA Broke BROKE Broke!

Fang333333

Hi there

Your log shows a few very strange audio inputs

of fish off of offf off off off off

This suggests some major audio input problem.

Couple of recommended steps:

- Check your mic routing disabling any driver enhancements and things like banana voicemeter

- Disable options: Import F10 Menu, Import new theaters, Import new modules

- Reset keywords database with Reset page

- Use Config/Export to get a fresh VAICOM PRO for DCS World.vap profile and import

Then test again.

Grtz

thank you Hollywood,

- Will resetting keyword erase all the custom words/phrases I have created?

- Could elaborate on the last step? Will this step erase custom settings?

I will try to eliminate Voicemeter as a culprit. Strangely my Windows voice recognition does not have many issues (I know they are the same but in the past there HAS been a difference between VA and Windows Cortana).

Fang

P.S

You Got The Gift, But It Looks Like You're Waiting For Something.

Edited by Fang333333

Hi max, thanks for asking I am using the keyboard with "shift" keys "0-5) for TX 1-5.

This is emulated through the Saitek X-55 software. The softwware shows no ghost input on my end if you were curious.

Yeah, I was curious why you didn't just use DX buttons directly if you were using HOTAS. Voice Attack supports 4, I think, joysticks now. But if you have it working, you have it working!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

thank you Hollywood,

- Could elaborate on the last step? Will this step erase custom settings?

I will try to eliminate Voicemeter as a culprit. Strangely my Windows voice recognition does not have many issues (I know they are the same but in the past there HAS been a difference between VA and Windows Cortana).

Fang

P.S

You Got The Gift, But It Looks Like You're Waiting For Something.

VA uses Microsoft Speech Recognition while Cortana uses, a newer version I guess and is Binging away at the same time. To slow in a virtual war in think!

Yeah, I was curious why you didn't just use DX buttons directly if you were using HOTAS. Voice Attack supports 4, I think, joysticks now. But if you have it working, you have it working!

The reason for this is because I am using the "Nipple mouse switch" on the X-55, which is only recognized through banding and assigning virtual keys.

2051272711_saitek-x-55-rhinoedit-throttle-properties.png.75c855b5cbd8e04d63fd93bbb3b623ed.png

Lol interesting seeing where voice recognition is going!:thumbup: I only hope this gets fixed, but honestly its getting to the point that I cannot imagine Vaicom ever working correctly again.

I still have to try eliminating Voicemeter from setup as an experiment, but I just get the feeling this not gonna be the problem

If anyone else can answer these questions, I am gonna wait on resetting until I know it will not lose my custom phrases

- Could someone elaborate on Hollywoods last step above? Will this step erase custom settings?

Edited by Fang333333

The reason for this is because I am using the "Nipple mouse switch" on the X-55, which is only recognized through banding and assigning virtual keys.

[ATTACH]240056[/ATTACH]

Lol interesting seeing where voice recognition is going! I only hope this gets fixed, but honestly its getting to the point that I cannot imagine Vaicom ever working correctly again.

I still have to try eliminating Voicemeter from setup as an experiment, but I just get the feeling this not gonna be the problem

If anyone else can answer these questions, I am gonna wait on resetting until I know it will not lose my custom phrases

- Could someone elaborate on Hollywoods last step above? Will this step erase custom settings?

Export everything first. At least then you have your custom phrases in a backup.

Hi there

Your log shows a few very strange audio inputs

of fish off of offf off off off off

This suggests some major audio input problem.

Couple of recommended steps:

- Check your mic routing disabling any driver enhancements and things like banana voicemeter

Then test again.

Grtz

Hi Hornblower!

I went all out, not only bypassing VM Banana, but I disconnected one of my USB hub's and plugged in headphones directly. The issue is still there, even with the ghost xmit presses that are not recognized by any other program but Viacom.

Its strange, once I take off in the P-51 Blue Nose Campaign, My Flight commands (Form Up) become delayed and the tower no longer responds.

If you wish you can see this here (May still be uploading):

Just FF to 17:00. Also at the very end of the video, a ghost Xmit happens.

Fang

remember there was an OB update yesterday, so make sure you have taken the usual steps, as that might explain the delay on comms. do the commands get sent when you press the PTT button one or two times after you've spoken?

Fang,

A thought has just come to me - in one of the VAICOM updates there was a bit about removing Start / Stop VoiceAttack Listening commands from the VA commands for the TX Push and Release commands as this is now done inside VAICOM.

Was this back in Feb? Becuase Feb is when this happened to me. This really sounds like what I am dealing with.

To check this, open the VAICOM profile in VA using the pencil icon and then double click on each TX command in turn and delete any Start / Stop lines

I had a screenshot and question about this on a previous post, I did not see any start/stop and was not sure if I was in the right place.

- Use Config/Export to get a fresh VAICOM PRO for DCS World.vap profile and import

Grtz

I do not know where to get a fresh Vaicom Pro profile and if I am doing this 100% right. I exported as per Max (save my custom phrases) and reset using the button however this made Vaicom worse. It recognizes nothing. I have already repaired DCS Vaicom and reinstalled and nothing happens.

I notice when I sit in the P-51 cockpit cold and dark I am getting button click noise's randomly. DCS does not show any input nor does emulation software. When I turn off VA the clicking in the cockpit stops. It seems something from vaicom is being setoff randomly with no input from me. Even the "Off of offf off" seems to be vaicom only. I know it sounds impossible but the computer does not seem to be hearing "offff off of off(Windows 10).

What are these clicking noises when Vaicom is on?

Vaicom works fine on the ground. Than Once I take off, commands no longer process.

Honestly through elimination, both in hardware and software, the only time issues happen is when Vaicom is on and a mission is loaded.

Thank you

Please help

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

Sorry Fang! Way too nice weather in Norway the past few weeks. Rain came today. Will get back to you when home and on computer. Hard to read and answer multi quotes on cell.

But YES. The start stop actions were removed in an update in Jan/Feb. Remember I had to fix it when I to DCS after Christmas in Feb.

Have you tried to fix them?

I am having this exact same issue with the P-51 and Vaicom Pro. It affects only the P-51, and not just in the Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney campaign, it's in every mission you might fly with the P-51 module.

I can, in the same session, fly the F/A-18C and Vaicom works flawlessly. When in the P-51, commands are only instantaneous while on the ground, once airborne, they are massively delayed. Even saying "options" to bring up the on-screen menu will sometimes take upwards of 2 minutes to appear, whereby I will usually just fumble for the F-keys to select commands instead of waiting for Vaicom to send them to the sim. The commands are sent instantly when doing so, it's something about the interface between Vaicom and comms with the P-51 module that appears to be borked.

To be fair, I can't be sure it has ever worked myself, as I started flying the P-51 a couple weeks ago, and I installed/purchased Vaicom in May of this year. I am fairly new to DCS (since April), but I'm reasonably sure my install is correct and my configuration in Vaicom is working, as evidenced by the perfect functionality in other DCS modules/campaigns/missions.

I'm using the Steam version of DCS on the openbeta branch.

EDIT: You can see in VoiceAttack that the commands are registered and ostensibly being sent, and they do eventually reach DCS and are interpreted, just after a very significant delay.

Edited by jzakrzeski

Interesting.

Fang, can you try another module just to check?

I was flying a mission in the Ka-50 right now. "Skala, select", beep, but radio didn't tune, tried again. Same thing. Tried "inbound" anyway, confirmation beep again. Alt-Tab to VA. Log looks good. Back to DCS. Repeatedly tried more. Manually tuned radio and then I flew over a ridge and gained hight. Autopilot on while I was messing. Suddenly all messages were passed on. Seemed I didn't have LOS, and when I suddenly had. They seemed to be routed, but I'm not sure. Because usually I can select tune radio even without LOS. But it seemed it needed LOS for anything. As all commands were recognized per VA log.

I've just tried the P51 near Kobuletti and found the following.

1. Nearest, Select and Kobuletti, Select are greeted correctly with a soft beep, after the first word, and a louder beep, after "Select.

2. "Inbound" is received with a beep, but nothing comes back from DCS, until i press the PTT button again. This behaviour appears to repeat, even after I have shut down VA and DCS and applied the usual update steps.

There must be something different about the P51, as this doesn't happen in the F18 or F14.

Edit: oh and i was pretty close, within 4nm, to Kobuletti when i stated Inbound

Maybe it is something to do with easy comms - I have just tried the P51 with Easy Comms off (so no select command) and it worked fine for me (within the bounds of the normal ATC only talking to you when it feels like it on final approach

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Maybe it is something triggered by select - i never use that

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

maybe. I'll do some manual tuning, taking care not to use the select command, and see if i get any joy. Maybe its something to do with the "tune on select" option, which i have checked ???

Edit: still the same, even without using "select".

Edited by Greyman

Never used easy comms with vaicom, only for a few flights initially when I started DCS. The LOS angle is interesting, come to think of it that holds water. Often commands don't work immediately then suddenly do, say, when I get closer to the airfield or when I'm near my squad again. Odd that it would affect an "Options" calls to open the menu but it could be a factor.

I'll experiment with this next time I get a chance.

Well. It won't remain a theory anymore. Because clearly I'm mistaken.

Been flying Ka-50 all afternoon today. Sitting on the runway or over it. Wingmen in the air next to me. All commands are understood and acknowledged by VA and VCP according to the VA log, but nothing happens in DCS. Even "options". UNTIL I start manhandling my keyboard to force the radio menu. As soon it is displays EVERY command I "spoke" is handled in the correct manner so to speak, as it seems. It's not a deal breaker right now. As I don't know if it is the Ka-50, or my system. But it's getting annoying. But I'm gonna test some other modules. Maybe all I have. To see if there is some sense to this.

I have the 2004 Windows Update. Just saying as we know that VCP communicates with DCS over the network. And there are clearly delays here. I've had it before. But not for more than a minute at the most.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry all for not coming back here in awhile, but I have little news. Vaicom has been smoother for me out of nowhere but is not at all fixed. It seems the F-14 will just stop receiving commands period. It almost looks more like a Voice Attack problem for this specific issue but I cannot really tell. VA just stops taking Mic inputs completely midflight.

(Press Mic= No response). Even restarting VA does not restore Mic xmit presses half the time.

Also, on startup, VA bizarrely refuses to listen to my mic until I open the VA sound settings (Where you select audio input). I make no changes, press "OK" and my input bar then reads the mic. I have to do this on every startup of VA.

Lastly it seems more people are starting to trickle in with the Mute/unmute problem, originally posted in this thread. Over on the Voice Attack forum, I noticed yet another thread claiming Vaicom is cutting off the Xmit button on it own. 2 more users have added to this already.

https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=3314.new#new

Please let me know if you have any theories for the above,

Fang333333

Edited by Fang333333

Are you sure you don't have any other apps running in the background that might be intercepting your hotkey presses or taking undue control of your mic?

Maybe have a check of task manager, to see if there are any unexpected apps running and maybe temporarily remove any that you don't absolutely need, before trying again. Programs like Asus Sonic Studio have caused me some issues in the past, albeit not necessarily with VA.

It must be something pretty obscure, with just a few peeps getting it.

Are you sure you don't have any other apps running in the background that might be intercepting your hotkey presses or taking undue control of your mic?

Maybe have a check of task manager, to see if there are any unexpected apps running and maybe temporarily remove any that you don't absolutely need, before trying again. Programs like Asus Sonic Studio have caused me some issues in the past, albeit not necessarily with VA.

It must be something pretty obscure, with just a few peeps getting it.

Hello Grey! Thank you for the suggestion. I would bet the roof over my head there are no inputs lol. Checked and rechecked. Then checked only to recheck. I also made a video showing no other inputs. Only issue is with viacom on.

I am now having it where when I am in the F14 and VA just STOPS any user input. I sit on tarmac coladas and dark. It works, for one command, than xmit button no longer recognizes. Hitting Ctl C, Chatter shortcuts, nothing works. Restart.

Say one command. Command complete. Transmit again, no transmit response. No response to any key presses although it is not frozen. Restart VA. Rinse. Repeat

Lol, this is why I have to take some time away from these bugs, its o frustrating. The whole thing VA/Viacom combo is extremely unstable. It's like Viacom is constantly confusing itself.

Lastly, I have a feeling we are gonna see more people getting this issue. I see a few here and there describing the same kinda stuff in the last few weeks. The problem is that the problem is MANY problems, so one person might have the xmit button issue while someone else is experiencing the delayed response issue.

Thank you all

Fang

Edited by Fang333333