Suncom SFS and Talon restoration and mods

Ok I was thinking of the speckled look that is was some form of carbon fiber filament. I know 100% infill is way overkill. And takes to long I have only done that on parts that I wanted to make extremely rigid. Have you tried other materials for printing? I went on a filament journey trying to find something more robust to print with. But nothing prints better or I feel more reliable then PLA. I guess unless your printer supports different material its a tweak fest trying to find the perfect setup. I have replaced my nozzle from a .4mm to a .8mm nozzle and it cuts print times in half. Since I do mostly structural based prints I didn't feel a need for .4mm nozzle. Had to tweak the heat and speed a little for more material leaving the nozzle.

I use 0,4 because of threads and similar finer things. I used 0,6 for a while and it is super fast, especially on draft setting. This Prusament galaxy black has sparkling bits in it, it is just for effect but somehow printing lines seem to be less visible and I like it.

PLA is probably the strongest material, only drawback is stability on higher temperatures. But something like joystick never goes in hi-temperature regime. I like THIS you tube Chanel, there are many interesting material testing videos.

is testing of usual 3D printing materials and PLA seems to be winner.

I use 0,4 because of threads and similar finer things. I used 0,6 for a while and it is super fast, especially on draft setting. This Prusament galaxy black has sparkling bits in it, it is just for effect but somehow printing lines seem to be less visible and I like it.

PLA is probably the strongest material, only drawback is stability on higher temperatures. But something like joystick never goes in hi-temperature regime. I like THIS you tube Chanel, there are many interesting material testing videos.

is testing of usual 3D printing materials and PLA seems to be winner.

Yes your prints look awesome! Ok thanks for the links I have seen that channel before it is good info.

Not for sure if you browse Thingiverse but I ran across this and thought might be good to try or maybe take gears and re engineer in to what I want or just try to use it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4078430

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

I am very interested in this thread, for I have a F15E Hawk and a F15E Raptor. The first I purchased a long time ago, and it served me well. It is already dismantled for retrofit. The second, I purchased used recently and only tested the pots and buttons in an old computer with gameport. I also intend to retrofit this one with hall sensors and USB.

@Sokol1_br: Back in 2016, I was eager to mod these flight controllers and I was inspired by a thread from DocFlyer in a Brazilian forum. The thread still exists, but it lacks all the pictures (Imageshack!). I was able to locate a link to a .pdf with the pictures (I think in a post from you) but it was broken. So, I ask if you still have contact with DocFlyer or if you still have and can share with me this reference material. It will surely help me a lot.

Crawling Chaos

PDF attached in ZIP file.

BTW - I never see a second feedback about this mod, if you have successes let us know.

Thank you, Sokol1_BR! I had already started the mod, but I was uncentain about a lot of its steps.

DSC03240.jpg

BTW, one of my fligth controls will use this alternative gimball I am trying to buil. I think it will be the Raptor.

DSC03239.jpg

Crawling Chaos

Edited by Crawling Chaos
Fixing photo links

I have tried this mod and it will not work well. Base is simply deigned with sliding potetnitometers in mind and there is nothing that can be done.

Best solution is to use any other type of mechanics.

Well, that's a pitty. I was hoping to keep at least one of the flight controllers with the original look, and my gimbal definetively do not fit inside it.

DSC03243.jpg

Do the gimbals that Sokol1_br posted fit inside the Suncom base? It seems that I will need punch some holes to attach them by the colar.

Crawling Chaos

No, none of these 3D printed CAM gimbals fit inside Suncon case, this case is too small, perhpas if know how edit Fusion 360 files, can "shrunk" one for fit.

Or maybe if you 3d Print a base "extension" increasing case height you DIY gimbal fit.

Anyway, as curiosity: when Russian guys start discuss CAM gimbal -around 2008; someone in the (extinct) forum Sukhoi post this project for Suncom base, a kind of "pincer CAM, but other that this pictures I have no more information about, if work, etc.

Suncom-gimbal-CAM.jpgSuncom-gimbal-CAM-2.jpg

No, none of these 3D printed CAM gimbals fit inside Suncon case, this case is too small, perhpas if know how edit Fusion 360 files, can "shrunk" one for fit.

Or maybe if you 3d Print a base "extension" increasing case height you DIY gimbal fit.

Anyway, as curiosity: when Russian guys start discuss CAM gimbal -around 2008; someone in the (extinct) forum Sukhoi post this project for Suncom base, a kind of "pincer CAM, but other that this pictures I have no more information about, if work, etc.

Suncom-gimbal-CAM.jpgSuncom-gimbal-CAM-2.jpg

Well, back in 2016, when we first spoke about my Suncom mods in another forum, you recommended me to use an "extension box". I think I am going in that direction, with a aluminum box underneath the Suncom base. This may even give me enough room to mount the springs inside the box. The set will be taller, but also heavier and more stable.

But first I will try DocFlyer pots retrofit with hall or angle sensors in the already dismantled flight controller. With the mechanics ready, I will plan the electronics. I must unbox all the old stuff I bought back in 2016 and see what I already have. With the gimbal parts I had six TLE5011 and four SS495A. But I am certain that I have more stored somewhere around, along with shift registers and A-D converters.

Crawling Chaos

No, none of these 3D printed CAM gimbals fit inside Suncon case,

Oops! :doh:

Ed.420 gimbal (for 3D print) occupies a space of 72 x 68 x 49 mm.

ED-420-CAM-gimbal.jpg

Perhaps doable fit Ed.420 inside Suncon case - the red area. I don't check sensor attachment height, have no software for open STL files and take measurements, what maybe prevents use.

Suncom-case.jpg

Issue, the grip attachment need be redraw for Suncon standard.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Nice! Seems it can be mounted in the Suncom base with little effort.

Quick question: will an ADS1115 module replace a MCP3208 (besides the channel number). I can't find my MCPs and the ADS is cheaper.

Crawling Chaos

Edited by Crawling Chaos
Typo

Problem is, the firmware you will use need support ADS1115, or you need write a code (for Arduino) for support this.

But, you have luck, FreeJoy firmware for cheap STM32F103C8 card support ADS1115:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/57900-freejoy-opensource-joystick-controller-on-stm32/?do=findComment&comment=923722

I will use MmJoy2. So I think is MCP3208, then.

Crawling Chaos

Things were working very well, until I tried to connect a PS3 thumbstick. First, the amplitude of the thumbstick axis are very short and I might need an amplifier. Second, when I setted the PS3 thumbstick as the second hat (assigning axis to buttons), things went odd. All hat actions became latched and corresponding button icons remained lit until next reset. I do not know how to proceed further in this matter, so I would appreciate any advice.

Crawling Chaos

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, debolestis

I worked further in my Suncom retrofit and decided to add two pots for throttle and three encoders for axis trimming. As the encoders have central buttons on it, I used an additional row in my button matrix to make them work (it seems practical to me to make these buttons act as resets for the trimmers). In this process, I have encountered two issues:

1 - The thumbstick amplifier (upper red mini breadboard) didn't work for me. I don't know if the opamp or the thumbstick itself was damaged. So, I hooked the thumbstick directly in the MCP3208, but the signal is quite noisy. I need to look further into this.

DSC03252.jpg

2 - I was not able to make the encoders to work. I can see their button presses in the VKB Button Tester and even in MMJoy2 button grid, but I can't make them appear in Windows joystick setup.

mmjoy2.jpg

Do you know how to solve this?

Crawling Chaos

You are using an old MMjoy2 firmware from 2015, why the mini-stick as hat became crazy, POV HAT positions don't expect analog signal, but buttons (digital) signal.

Last versions for firmware in Mega_MOZGG site, some people prefer use the v20151118 instead the last.

https://sites.google.com/site/mmjoyproject/fajly-dla-skacivania

That is odd. I realy started this retrofit in 2016, but I downloaded it again about a month ago. I may have mixed the folders, then.

I will try the last version and post the results.

Crawling Chaos