Landing speed

HoYa

What us the landing speed for the viper ?

I’m always overrunning the damn runway !!!!

As per the advice above - RTFM...Link: https://srv13files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-F-16C_Early_Access_Guide_EN.pdf Page 98 for landing.

F-16 is the easiest a/c in DCS to land..FPM at top of AOA staple aligned with the dashed 2.5deg line - all sitting on the runway threshold. F-16 is literally point-and-shoot for attitude, it goes where you leave it pointed. Throttle to idle as you cross end of RW and move FPM smoothly up to far end of runway and sink to touchdown. Hold the nose-up attitude (approx 10 degrees) till <100KIAS. Lower nose and apply brakes. Activate NWS, taxi off runway for tea and medals.

Land.jpg.9252129043784f78b42af9a4e8ba2d81.jpg

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What us the landing speed for the viper ?

I’m always overrunning the damn runway !!!!

Fly a 3 degree glodeslope with 11 degrees AOA and speedbrakes out. when just above the runway you idle the throttle and flare the plane to a gentle touch down. Do not stall the plane. Aerobrake with 11-13 degrees AOA. Once at 100 knots lower your nose. If the runway is long delay placing the nose down as long as possible to aerobrake to the biggest extent and save your brakes. Once the nose wheel contacts the ground apply full speedbrakes by holding in the speedbrake switch and go full aft stick to brake with your horizontal stablizers. Once rudder only does not keep you straight on the runway, center your rudder pedals and apply nose wheel steering (NWS). Apply wheelbrakes when needed to slow down to exit the runway at the desired exit.

As per the advice above - RTFM...Link: https://srv13files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-F-16C_Early_Access_Guide_EN.pdf Page 98 for landing.

F-16 is the easiest a/c in DCS to land..FPM at top of AOA staple aligned with the dashed 2.5deg line - all sitting on the runway threshold. F-16 is literally point-and-shoot for attitude, it goes where you leave it pointed. Throttle to idle as you cross end of RW and move FPM smoothly up to far end of runway and sink to touchdown. Hold the nose-up attitude (approx 10 degrees) till <100KIAS. Lower nose and apply brakes. Activate NWS, taxi off runway for tea and medals.

The best advices here ! :lol:

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hint: only switch on NWS below 60 kts to prevent spilling tea.

True: the Viper is one of the easiest to manage fighters in the air but groundwise it can be a bitch.

Main gear position is pretty much too narrow for highspeed cornering.

Hint: only switch on NWS below 60 kts to prevent spilling tea.

True: the Viper is one of the easiest to manage fighters in the air but groundwise it can be a bitch.

Main gear position is pretty much too narrow for highspeed cornering.

Well, I had crosswind conditions (well within operational limits for the airport and viper) that had me do a full rudder deflection at 100kts on the runway and I still would yaw sideways towards the green. so I tend to activate NWS as early as possible, as the plane's behaviour on the ground is just unrealistic anyhow.

And I didn't even land crabbed in the crosswind. Try doing that and you're done for immediatly.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Well, I had crosswind conditions (well within operational limits for the airport and viper) that had me do a full rudder deflection at 100kts on the runway and I still would yaw sideways towards the green. so I tend to activate NWS as early as possible, as the plane's behaviour on the ground is just unrealistic anyhow.

And I didn't even land crabbed in the crosswind. Try doing that and you're done for immediatly.

Yep, this bird is a total mess on the ground.

You're even supposed to slow down to taxi speed before enabling NWS after landing (<30 kts)

The 60kts are mentionned for take off.

Yep, this bird is a total mess on the ground.

You're even supposed to slow down to taxi speed before enabling NWS after landing (<30 kts)

The 60kts are mentionned for take off.

Make sure to have your rudder neutral at the time you switch on NWS. Otherwise the nosewheel will come in aggressively to the left or right and you will flip the bird on it's side or at least perform a Tokio drift.

That will happen at almost every speed >15 kts

So be extremely gentle with pedal pressures.

• 3 weeks later...

I´m messing big time with my landings. Viper feels counter-intuituve after A-10, Hornet and Tomcat.

I will try the FPM on top part of the bracket tonight, thanks.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I also heavily rely on differential braking on the roll-out. Can easily keep you on CL to the point that I will be down to taxi speed sometimes and try to take the taxiway and forgot I haven't even enabled NWS yet.

As for landing crabbed - generally you want to 'kick' it straight with appropriate aileron deflection just before you touch down. Then as you aero-brake apply required rudder and one-wheel braking as required.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While not absolutely forbidden per say, this is not recommended on F-16 (described in flight manual).

Indeed, but I wasn't giving an instructional brief on how to land your F-16C in real life, I was making a suggestion on how to give yourself the best chance at a decent landing in DCS given the F-16C modules current behaviour on the ground - but thanks for the correction. Feel free to land however you want. :thumbup:

Land.jpg.c8d39fa929ef24a1c9b991439c38afef.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
My only problem with the DCS F-16 in terms of landing are the brakes, they lock up immediately (anti skid anyone?) and the aircraft skids as a result and as such the landing roll is always long for me.

Yep - add Anti-Skid to the list of stuff that doesn't currently work in the Viper. You need to manually manage your braking level - i.e you will stop faster with less brake pressure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 step guide to landing the F-16:

- fly final app. at 11 DEG AOA

- flare to 13 DEG AOA

- aero brake until 100 KIAS (speedbrake fully deployed)

After that full back stick and start applying brakes.

Best advice and instruction in 3 easy steps :). I've been flying the 16 a lot and I find it not difficult at all to land. I think some folks are used to slamming down on the more forgiving aircraft. I follow the above steps, usually touching down at 160-165 kts indicated. Airbrakes out after TD, and Aero braking until nose drop at 90. I use slight differential brakes to keep it straight as the rudder becomes useless below 90 anyway and if you have non neutral rudder and apply NWS you can easily lose control and veer off the runway. What is challenging is to manage a landing with a heavy fuel load and ordnance still on the bird. The 16 has narrow landing wheels and recommended taxi speed is 15 or less...in real life....because it is tippy in turns. Also you can't slam it onto the runway like the 14 or 18 as it's landing gear is not designed for that. While having the VVI in the hud would be ok, it's not really needed and you can declutter the hud to get a better view anyway.

I'll add one more piece of my 2 cents worth on the above....

-practice.

One good way is to set up a little practice mission to do ILS landings. I set it up at Nellis on the NTTR map. Using the ILS is a good way to get the feel and site picture of a 3 degree approach slope. ILS is easy to set up and works fine. 109.1 at Nellis for 210 R.

Overhead brakes are more challenging and require ... practice.

KS

I also heavily rely on differential braking on the roll-out. Can easily keep you on CL to the point that I will be down to taxi speed sometimes and try to take the taxiway and forgot I haven't even enabled NWS yet.

As for landing crabbed - generally you want to 'kick' it straight with appropriate aileron deflection just before you touch down. Then as you aero-brake apply required rudder and one-wheel braking as required.

A viper is supposed to be landed crabbed, NOT like you said decrabbed.

Landing decrabbed is only necessary in DCS because they haven't fixed the wheel friction, yet.

The fix was essentially posted by a user together with the defect, but it never found its way into the code. Not in over half a year anyways.

Please don't learn to fly the plane in a way that it is not supposed to be flown in.

The Viper is rated for crosswinds up to 25kts if I remember correctly, and landing in that kind of crosswind with reallife procedures will cause you to lose stabs, parts of the wing, or just die.

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline