Off Topic Chat From Before!

Jackil

To give response to some valid posts before on another thread, what is the early access time frame (6 months to a year or when we feel like it)? How long does it last? They placed F/A-18 on the live suite not to long ago. I would think that constitutes full implementation, don't you? I bought F/A-18C on 01/13/2018. How much time does it take to come into full fruition? They released a YAK aircraft since then. Come on ED you have not finished models you have released before releasing new models!

Jackil, out

Edited by Jackil

Rig: i7-7700K, ASUS Strix Z270E mb, EVGA 1080GTX, 16GB DDR4 3000, Samsung 960 EVO M2.1 TB SSD, Corsair Hydro Cooler H115i, Win 10 64

To give response to some valid posts before on another thread, what is the early access time frame (6 months to a year or when we feel like it)? How long does it last? They placed F/A-18 on the live suite not to long ago. I would think that constitutes full implementation, don't you? I bought F/A-18C on 01/13/2018. How much time does it take to come into full fruition? They released a YAK aircraft since then. Come on ED you have not finished models you have released before releasing new models!

Jackil, out

There is no set time frame for when an aircraft leaves early access. It will leave early access when the developers determine that the aircraft is feature complete. Even then, there are those that would argue and still say that some aircraft aren't "complete" by their standards. It could take a year or it could take more time. It could take less time depending on the state of the aircraft when it entered the early access period.

The Yak was in development by another team within ED for a 3rd party that paid for the module to be made. ED just made sure that we could have access to it as well. So, you shouldn't base anything on that.

The only advice that I could give you to avoid any unnecessary grief is that if you want a complete module, don't buy into early access. These questions tend to bring out the worst in the community on the forums here.

The Hornet is a very complex aircraft, as are its weapons systems. It makes sense for ED to have multiple teams working on different aircraft, and other projects such as supporting government users, i.e. those organisations that pay the Early Access price of the Hornet thousands of times over per year.

If they stopped working on weapons and just did core systems you'd miss out on JASSM, JSOW, HARM, AGM-84, SLAM-ER and possibly AIM-9X LOAL. And technically they could say the Hornet was done at that point.

None of these things are simple, a regular old harpoon has a number of flight profiles and the ability to follow a pre-programmed path, this makes it more complex in many respects than some of the aircraft.

It'll be done, when it's done.

Think of it that way: If DCS wouldn‘t allow us to access an early version of the Hornet but only release it when it would be feature complete, what would we have on our computers now? Nothing, right? All the carrier ops which we can do now and get better at we couldn‘t do. All the AAR with the Hornet which is so much fun we couldn‘t do. All the Hornet systems we already have (and that is many) we couldn‘t learn yet how to use them effectively. I would have way less knowledge and experience in air-to-air because the Hornet is the first bird that motivated me to have a look beyond my mud mover horizon. 59 MiGs and Tupolevs and Suchois would still fly in my DCS world.

So much fun we would not have had in the past 5 months...

EA or not is something everybody must answer for him or herself. For me personally, I enjoyed every minute of flying this bird in EA.

Also keep in mind that doing EA means DCS has a huge tester base effectively which run the module on a myriad of different rigs. That makes bug finding, reporting and fixing much faster. Ultimately, that should result in a higher quality product being available earlier. So even if you are not in for EA but wait for the feature complete release you will benefit from EA.

Think of it that way: If DCS wouldn‘t allow us to access an early version of the Hornet but only release it when it would be feature complete, what would we have on our computers now? Nothing, right? All the carrier ops which we can do now and get better at we couldn‘t do. All the AAR with the Hornet which is so much fun we couldn‘t do. All the Hornet systems we already have (and that is many) we couldn‘t learn yet how to use them effectively. I would have way less knowledge and experience in air-to-air because the Hornet is the first bird that motivated me to have a look beyond my mud mover horizon. 59 MiGs and Tupolevs and Suchois would still fly in my DCS world.

EA or not is something everybody must answer for him or herself. For me personally, I enjoyed every minute of flying this bird in EA.

Also keep in mind that doing EA means DCS has a huge tester base effectively which run the module on a myriad of different rigs. That makes bug finding, reporting and fixing much faster. Ultimately, that should result in a higher quality product being available earlier. So even if you are not in for EA but wait for the feature complete release you will benefit from EA.

I couldnt agree more, I love the hornet and I wont be shamed for it. (But please can you work faster pretty pleeease?) :lol::lol:

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

This.

Well said.

T H I S x's 100

I love the F/A-18. Reminds me how much I miss being in the Navy. I bought it knowing it wasn't complete for the sole purpose of watching it grow in to an amazing module. In the meantime, I'll work on my groove time, that 3 wire and Air to Air refueling.

I can appreciate the countless hours the team has dedicated to this thing... I image it hasn't been easy, I would like them to know that it's appreciated and the fruits of their hard work is enjoyed!

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Carrier landings.

I'm addicted to them.

Not the easy Case Is - but zero visibility ICLS landings.

Who needs an uber computer for graphics when all there is is the cockpit and ICLS needles :D

Okay - it is time for maybe the targeting pod, Mavs, HARMS and soon A-G radar.

Until then? I'll keep slamming the deck at zero vis :smilewink:

They placed F/A-18 on the live suite not to long ago. I would think that constitutes full implementation, don't you?

No, i don't think so.

In the other thread 8ball posted a pic with red frames and a lot of red arrows pointing to the Early Access messages on the description page of the F/A-18 module.

Why should i consider a module as complete as it clearly states on the page where you can buy it that it is early access and not feature complete?

lN27BIy.png

Consider EA as a Beta. Things break, new things get added tweaked. systems grow and this allows you to grow with it, without "here are 200 systems learn them" but rather that you know the first 50, here is another one add that to your list

Its the name of the game. I personally have loved flying the 18 since its release

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

To give response to some valid posts before on another thread, what is the early access time frame (6 months to a year or when we feel like it)?

Early access usually lasts 6 months to a year but can be longer (i.e. for 3rd parties) as ED makes the final determination.

How long does it last?

As long as it takes :(, but even after being 'officially' released - bugs and features will continue be fixed, added and refined.

They placed F/A-18 on the live suite not to long ago. I would think that constitutes full implementation, don't you?

No, the Early Access Aviojet C-101 has been included in the release branch for over 3 years.

I bought F/A-18C on 01/13/2018. How much time does it take to come into full fruition?

It's not unusual for modules to take 2 years to refine their flight model and the F-18C is a complex aircraft with many systems still to implement, so with A2G radar, etc. it could take longer

They released a YAK aircraft since then.

Different teams work on different projects, the YAK was developed for a 3rd party with permission to release/sell a public version.

Come on ED you have not finished models you have released before releasing new models!

ED/BST are working on many modules in different stages of development. Some will be released to Early Access and may well be completed before the Hornet, as it is one of the more complex modules.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

i am extremely inpatient so i love and stick with early access.

if i can find money, i will buy f-14 early access too

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5