Realistic Refueling Basket Interaction

luichek

I think DCS Refueling its very nice. But would be amazing to have an experience as close as real life. Correct me if Im wrong but the refueling basket at DCS its too static, with no vibration/movement at the moment of extension and during refueling, also there is a connection/contact by proximity and there is not any interaction with the Basket and fuel valve.

luichek

Enviado desde mi SM-A310F mediante Tapatalk

Edited by luichek

I think DCS Refueling its very nice. But would be amazing to have an experience as close as real life. Correct me if Im wrong but the refueling basket at DCS its too static, with no vibration/movement at the moment of extension and during refueling, also there is a connection/contact by proximity and there is not any interaction with the Basket and fuel valve .

luichek

Yes, you are correct the hose and drogue are very simplistic currently. It is something ED is working on with the early access of the Hornet.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

A2A Refueling Physics are being revamped, IIRC they will show up w/ the New S-3R 3D Model Later in Early Access.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Beware of what you ask for.

There is also the issue of the bow wave coming off the radome that pushes the drogue away at the last critical moment. I've often been treated to seeing a receiver do a very quick lateral input to keep from missing the contact.

I wont say that its easy, its a matter of practice but would be nice to have a simplified and a realistic hardcore option.

Edited by luichek

AAR in the hornet is super easy. If you know basic formation flying then you already have the control necessary to do AAR both in the A-10C and the Hornet. The pilots struggling with AAR should stop chasing the drogue and instead practice to stay 2-3 ft away from another aircraft in echelon formation. When you can hold your exact position, and rejoin and get saddled smoothly, then you are set for AAR.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

• 2 weeks later...

Make it real, and if it should be harder it is ok, but dont split this in arcade mode and hardcore mode. Only one mode for everybody so you know how to refuel or you dont !

Steam Index, i7 8700K, 32Gb, GTX 1070Ti, NVMe.

Hotas Warthog, Virpil, RX Vipers

Having watched this a couple of times, & depending on the length and shape of the nose / position of the probe, the basket does seem quite cooperative at the moment compared to real life.

BZV3Ffm2qIQ

Getting a realistic interaction between the drogue, airflow and pressure wave from the aircraft might be quite tricky though.

That said, different strokes for different folks - there's an easy flight mode, an easy avionics mode, and easy coms mode, can't see why there shouldn't be an easy re-fuel mode.

Cheers.

Make it real, and if it should be harder it is ok, but dont split this in arcade mode and hardcore mode. Only one mode for everybody so you know how to refuel or you dont !

There already are arcade and sim modes!, lots of things can also be checked in Special tabs too. I personally don’t have a problem with it. If some people don’t want the full realism (or as close as can be reproduced) then fine, but some also do want this. Luckily DCS caters for all.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Beware of what you ask for.

There is also the issue of the bow wave coming off the radome that pushes the drogue away at the last critical moment. I've often been treated to seeing a receiver do a very quick lateral input to keep from missing the contact.

Yeah, my pop did it for real and said he would kick the rudder to catch it just right.

Cant wait for an upgrade, AAR is way too easy atm.

Always good to hear from an actual pilot, but "way too easy atm" doesn't help make it better :)

I guess you have a list of issues, but perhaps you could be a bit more specific about which parts of the interaction should be changed first to make it more like your real life experience ?

Cheers.

Working on creating a new phobia? :joystick:

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I don't think it's necessary for ED to bother with modelling the aerodynamic effects of the aircraft on the basket. It's the lack of physical interaction which is jarring when everything else is so high fidelity.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

This right here. AAR is stupid easy. A more realistic basket would be nice. There are already ways to dumb things down for those that don't take the time to practice or just can't do it.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Again, I'd say:

Always good to hear from an actual pilot, but "way too easy atm" doesn't help make it better :)

I guess you have a list of issues, but perhaps you could be a bit more specific about which parts of the interaction should be changed first to make it more like your real life experience ?[/Quote]

Hose dynamics ? (From all tanker types, or specific tankers ?)

'bow wave' from the aircraft interacting with the basket ?

Some actual specific feedback would be useful, and able to be passed back.

"Stupid Easy" isn't easily actionable feedback :)

Which bits make you feel least like that last time you actually did it in an aircraft?

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

AAR in the hornet is super easy. If you know basic formation flying then you already have the control necessary to do AAR both in the A-10C and the Hornet. The pilots struggling with AAR should stop chasing the drogue and instead practice to stay 2-3 ft away from another aircraft in echelon formation. When you can hold your exact position, and rejoin and get saddled smoothly, then you are set for AAR.

Exactly. I always fly in formation along side the tanker before contacting. It helps with gauging the speed of the tanker.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Again, I'd say:

Hose dynamics ? (From all tanker types, or specific tankers ?)

'bow wave' from the aircraft interacting with the basket ?

Some actual specific feedback would be useful, and able to be passed back.

"Stupid Easy" isn't easily actionable feedback :)

Which bits make you feel least like that last time you actually did it in an aircraft?

I assumed he was talking about actual interaction with the basket, not being able to fly through it with the probe/aircraft, among those other things. That and the basket is perfectly still as if it's on a steel beam are two that come to mind.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

• 1 month later...

Those who can, want it harder, forgetting what it was like to learn how to do A2A refueling.

Some catch on quickly while others really struggle with this.

I hate to say it, but there should be an "easy" setting for those to learn the basics, and a "hard" setting for those who need the challenge.

That way all can advance without leaving others out.

I finally got it after trying for so many years enough now where I can pretty much fill up every time.i watched loads of videos on youtube, some vid of the guy in the refueled and the pilot having small talk like do you bring coffee with you and snacks and talk of crumbled pop tarts. I’m all for having the basket move around more realistic but what I don’t get is the small throttle imputs needed. From looking at them videos it would seem like they set the throttle to the tankers speed and both jets are locked in the same speed and direction and it seems to me like we have to work more to keep it connected. Just MHO tho from watching the pros do it. I hope they make it more real but that don’t mean it needs to be header.