Why are all servers running the Beta?

SharpeXB

Well, again, I'm not betting all my money on it, however servers switching to beta in 1.5 was, I believe, few months before 2.5 was released.

I mean, I haven't been around forever, but I was on 1.5 for some time (couple of years, I don't know), and there were a lot of good servers for most of that period, that were on the released 1.5

For example, the "104th" server, which is quite popular I think, was on the released 1.5 version for a very long time. If it switched to beta during 1.5, it was only just before 2.5 was released I think.

Anyway... I'm not really debating... mostly thinking out loud.

If in the end, most servers stay on beta, I'll be the first to be disappointed. I was hoping to stop going against AI and join servers, but I very much prefer to stick to the released versions and not fiddle with the beta.

Moreover, to go back to what the OP said... when he wonders if it's "wrong" that all servers are on beta. Well I think it is, in a way, wrong. It means that ED fails to have strong, stable, optimized, released versions. Or at least, that's how I feel it.

If their released versions were coming out strong, a lot less servers would bother setting up the beta versions.

So it's not wrong in a sense that "server admins shouldn't do it". It's wrong that "server admins feel it's better on beta"...

I definitely agree on a lot of what you said.

But to clear everyone's head and achieve Nirvana without pulling your head off, repeat these words:

"2.5 Beta IS Release version (with the latest updates and fixes)"

Pretend the word beta does not exist. The way they do things is a bit different from pretty much all other companies, and I've learn to accept that.

Currently "Release" version is several important updates with bugs fixes behind. The Open Beta IS the stable release REGARDLESS of what ED says or whatever labels they use.

As you experienced, ED uses the term Release and Beta interchangeably since 1.5.

If you can wrap your head around it and not get stuck on the term "beta" everything will be fine :P

"2.5 Beta IS Release version (with the latest updates and fixes)"

Edited by Dagger71

I definitely agree on a lot of what you said.

But to clear everyone's head and achieve Nirvana without pulling your head off, repeat these words:

"2.5 Beta is Release version (with updates)."

Pretend the word beta does not exist. The way they do things is a bit different from pretty much all other companies, and I've learn to accept that.

Currently "Release" version is several important updates with bugs fixes behind. The Open Beta IS the stable release REGARDLESS of what ED says or whatever labels they use.

As you experienced, ED uses the term Release and Beta interchangeably since 1.5.

If you can wrap your head around it and not get stuck on the term "beta" everything will be fine :P

"2.5 Beta is Release version (with the latest updates and fixes)."

Haha! Well, I don't have any issue with the terminology... what bugs me is the fact that, from what I understand, installing the beta version is not so straight forward.

I haven't tried to be honest, I've just seen posts on the forums explaining how to do it and after quickly reading them, I rapidly got discouraged...

I guess I could look into it more seriously, especially if it isn't that much work to install the beta.

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Haha! Well, I don't have any issue with the terminology... what bugs me is the fact that, from what I understand, installing the beta version is not so straight forward.

I haven't tried to be honest, I've just seen posts on the forums explaining how to do it and after quickly reading them, I rapidly got discouraged...

I guess I could look into it more seriously, especially if it isn't that much work to install the beta.

It was actually the easiest way to install since 2.5 came out.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

Always do a complete re-install (uninstall 1.5) , keeping your input files, as so far there really hasn't been any conflict between 1.5/2.5

• ED Team

you can use command prompts to change to beta, but you do not need to.

If you have room it is a simple as downloading and installing, It is a separate install from the release, so if you have room for both try it.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

you can use command prompts to change to beta, but you do not need to.

If you have room it is a simple as downloading and installing, It is a separate install from the release, so if you have room for both try it.

Well that's my issue. I'm not sure I do have enough room for both versions. I did buy a SSD specifically for DCS, however it's 250 Gb. With all the modules and everything, DCS tends to take a ton of space. I'll have a look anyway, see If I can have both. But I must keep in mind it's really not recommended to have a nearly full SSD.

If I do, maybe I'll try, but the Command Prompt method is not super tempting... I mean, I can manage my way around using CMD Prompt, but it's not my cup of tea.

The other thing is that I finally managed to convince my brother to get into DCS and it's not been a super easy ride so far (too slow on hard drive, so had to reinstall on SSD. Changing Mirage config makes DCS crash, etc etc etc.). If I tell him that we get onto the beta, he'll probably just tell me to **** off... :(

So, maybe I'll just wait and see.

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Don't be discouraged because you need to type some text in the command prompt. Posting once here is more "work" than changing from release to open beta. If you need any help just let me know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

This is really a problem. Taking a sim that’s a niche to begin with and then fragmenting it online with different versions.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3495344#post3495344

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209766

It’s important to have an Open Beta but servers, especially ALL of them should not keep treating the test version as a release version.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

How I handle our server

try new updated beta

IF number_of_crashes < current_release_version_crashes then

keep using beta

else

go back to using release

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

How I handle our server

try new updated beta

IF number_of_crashes < current_release_version_crashes then

keep using beta

else

go back to using release

+1

and normally the updates that are released in the OB one week are only a couple of weeks ahead of being released on the Release version, then they are synced up again for a while.

This is really a problem. Taking a sim that’s a niche to begin with and then fragmenting it online with different versions.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3495344#post3495344

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209766

It’s important to have an Open Beta but servers, especially ALL of them should not keep treating the test version as a release version.

Why not if the beta version is better than the release version? It has often been the case, that the beta version has fixes/improvements that are very important for the servers to run well, while the stable version doesn't have them at the same time.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey! You can switch between beta and release versions without downloading a separate install. That's a User interface. Use Skatezilla's tool for managing versions and switching, or try running the line given in the thread about the same thing which one of the mods had tagged in their signature.

It's humbly not that difficult once you tried it once, but flipping versions takes some download time. That may be preferable to SSD space.

Whilst we are here... Beta has Persian Gulf and some fixes and those that are constantly striving for more and better head there. What is being seen is a community that is pushing hard for new things, not a community that is interested in the folks that are reluctant to change fast for their own reasons. That comes across as harsh, but it's different mindsets at play. The folks that choose to run a server usually start because they believe they can do it themselves better. This is where the guys that want standard easy modes will fall behind. Step up.

It's also not hard to run a server as your own machine and it supports a good amount of players by itself. There are many community created missions you can download and all you need to do is hit that NEW SERVER button and run them, there's really nothing to it.

Well that's my issue. I'm not sure I do have enough room for both versions. I did buy a SSD specifically for DCS, however it's 250 Gb. With all the modules and everything, DCS tends to take a ton of space. I'll have a look anyway, see If I can have both. But I must keep in mind it's really not recommended to have a nearly full SSD.

If I do, maybe I'll try, but the Command Prompt method is not super tempting... I mean, I can manage my way around using CMD Prompt, but it's not my cup of tea.

The other thing is that I finally managed to convince my brother to get into DCS and it's not been a super easy ride so far (too slow on hard drive, so had to reinstall on SSD. Changing Mirage config makes DCS crash, etc etc etc.). If I tell him that we get onto the beta, he'll probably just tell me to **** off... :(

So, maybe I'll just wait and see.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Well, not ALL of the servers are on Open Beta, here is a screen shot taken moments ago of the 2.5.0 stable server list from my South West US location (List sorted by number of players to show the active ones):

zjdfCLU.png

Yep, the numbers are down, and maybe not the servers you want to fly on, but far from ALL being on Open Beta.

Here is the Open Beta Server list taken at the same time:

ft0MntU.png

Of all of those servers, 42 of them were running the new Persian Gulf map which of course is only available on OB.

There are many reasons for server operators to choose the version they want to run on. Some are personal, others for what best fits their client base they are hosting for. Many of those want the shiny new things first, they'll be on Beta. But you take your risks with Beta, sometimes it comes out great and is better, in which case, is moved to release in about a week or 2. Other times its worse as was the case with 2.5.1 when many steam users on OB got messed up and couldnt update/fly and a few other issues.

Those stating that OB is the only way to go are those without the patience to wait for bug fixes to be addressed and moved to Stable release, or can't live without the shiny new toy just released. Again, personal choices. If your favorite server is on a version, and you want to fly on it, then as a client you need to follow suit or find a new favorite. Pretty simple really....

/Salute

Edited by Shahdoh

Well, not ALL of the servers are on Open Beta,

Well that’s what I see too. Most all those servers are free flight and aerobatic. No action :noexpression:

VARG is ok. But even on the Beta list these mostly have only 10 players on them. And again too many free flight.

MP in DCS always seems to be on the edge of extinction. Let’s not make that worse running multiple game versions.

8 players on a map is pointless.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

...or can't live without the shiny new toy just released/Salute

You are absolutely right - personal reasons.

But in case of every Mig21 user, OB is more or less mandatory - you cannot see out of the cockpit in release version.

Unfortunately the best server fot this plane is just not in OB (ACG cold war).

If the versions are again on the same level, and maybe the Mig just got the mandatory updates, maybe i'll go for release version, just to be on this server.

Otherwise I'll need some new server to fly this thing in a fitting setting ....

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

You are absolutely right - personal reasons.

But in case of every Mig21 user, OB is more or less mandatory - you cannot see out of the cockpit in release version.

Unfortunately the best server fot this plane is just not in OB (ACG cold war).

If the versions are again on the same level, and maybe the Mig just got the mandatory updates, maybe i'll go for release version, just to be on this server.

Otherwise I'll need some new server to fly this thing in a fitting setting ....

+1 i am missing this gem of a server also, but i am not going back to foggy mig21 canopy on the stable release version.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Cleaner Canopy Mod ;) But i wasn't able to get it completely clear there are still some grey/white dots where i have not found a solution.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300530/

Edited by erniedaoage

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

You have to try it, it works on blueflag for me and a couple of others. And if the server administrator wants people flying the mig21 he/she has to enable it somehow because no one is flying with a disadvantage like the canopy glass.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk