Microsoft FFB2 implementation

I have a Microsoft force feedback 2 joystick that I am using with DCS but I am a bit confused when it comes to tuning it correctly. I found a few threads which are several years old now so I'm not sure the information is still accurate. Is there a comprehensive list on what axes need to be reversed for which modules? Has there been more consistency across modules? I'm not even really sure what it means to reverse the FFB axes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Just in case it's different for some aircraft (I honestly can't remember), the easiest way to figure this out for a given aircraft is to simply trim left and verify that the stick moves to the left, then trim down and verify that the stick moves forward. If any axis moves opposite what's expected, just reverse that axis in controls, axis settings, tune force feedback.

It's especially nice since ED added the ability to adjust controls while flying, even in multiplayer.

ETA: Confirm what AeriaGloria writes about not using any curve. That takes the stick out of alignment for purposes of trim- particularly nasty with helicopters.

I often cover the IR sensor and try to keep my hand close to the top for more precision. Enjoy! However, lately I’ve been wondering about how much it really adds, the stick shackes at AOA/G limit, it doesn’t seem to have different force at different speeds. Been thinking of getting one of Andre’s seats and a nice VKB/Virpil to increase the immersion(I fly mostly Russian, the seat also vibrates with g and aoa load, am9ng many other great features). I’m really going to miss having such a direct feel to my aircraft controls, but maybe in time it’ll come back. VKB or Virpil announced interes in FFB, and there’s the open source project. I think maybe we’re all spoiled no matter what???

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Andre's seat is GLORIOUS! I use both that and the MSFFB2. IMHO, the FFB is still the best for helicopters and is really nice for the older aircraft, as you can feel the change in wind resistance on the flight surfaces in aircraft like the L-39 and can feel the roll limiter in the F-5.

If you're handy, I highly recommend looking around for a cheap broken CH Fighterstick. I bought one, fixed it, then transplanted the handle onto my MSFFB2. You get a modern flight stick with all the inputs and it also extends the stick a little, since the CH stick is taller.

Andre's seat is GLORIOUS! I use both that and the MSFFB2. IMHO, the FFB is still the best for helicopters and is really nice for the older aircraft, as you can feel the change in wind resistance on the flight surfaces in aircraft like the L-39 and can feel the roll limiter in the F-5.

If you're handy, I highly recommend looking around for a cheap broken CH Fighterstick. I bought one, fixed it, then transplanted the handle onto my MSFFB2. You get a modern flight stick with all the inputs and it also extends the stick a little, since the CH stick is taller.

Very interesting ! Care to detail the modification ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Debolestes stuff is really good. Highly recommended. I would have gone that way if his stuff was available when I started. It'd be nice to be able to change grips.

My approach was far less elegant. I removed the FFB2's grip, modified the stalk to accept the Fighterstick grip, and changed the FFB activation method from using the optical sensor to a switch that a taped to the outside of the FFB2's base. Finally, I simply used some extended wires from the CH base through the bottom of the FFB2's base and up to the CH Fighterstick grip for the switches.

In DCS, the buttons are mapped using the CH Fighterstick and the axis are mapped using the Sidewinder FFB2.