TM WARTHOG Extension for AV-8B Harrier stick

NeoHelios

Hi Community!

Planning to make an extension for my WARTHOG and I'd like to keep as close as possible to the real-life stick height in the Harrier. Will adjust the seat to match. I mainly want to get the stick deflection range right.

Would anyone here happen to know this dimension or point me in direction of technical details?

Garden Hose Connector (WARTHOG-sized thread connector):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VED3KW

PS/2 Extension Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511E5

PVC pipe:

local hardware store

Thank you!

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Viper :: F-14 Tomcat :: F-18 Hornet :: A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

vCG-1 callsign: Cloudy

Alternatively, if there is some standard "30 degrees of stick deflection / range of motion" type of parameter, then I can do trig to find that out. Thanks again!

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Viper :: F-14 Tomcat :: F-18 Hornet :: A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

Okay so drawing upon the previously mentioned PDF, one study (1) indicated that maximum stick deflection for the elevator was about 8 inches. Disregarding force and airspeed for generalization. Simply: over eight inches range of motion was possible, so let's peg this at 9 inches for simplicity.

Secondly, another figure (2) illustrating a hypothetical plot of Displacement to Force, calculates up to 30 degrees of deflection. I'm assuming the author chose this maximum limit as it was relevant to the experiment, so I'll accept it as upper limit for my build.

Using basic trig (SOH) where angle is 30 deg (0.52 radians) at 9 inches deflection, I get a hypotenuse of 18 inches. So I shall build my extension from the base's pivot point to the middle of the pistol grip to 18 inches extension.

I know I've answered my own question, here, but I'll leave this one-sided conversation up as a resource to others should they decide to emulate my thought-process, here.

(1) pg. 42, rates of elevator stick motion

(2) pg. 60, Simplified family of curves relating stick displacement, stick force, and airspeed iaw the formula (...)

(...now, to design a weight and pulley system to simulate the forces involved...)

tenor.png

Edited by NeoHelios

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]