F/A-18C - Trap Practice (aircraft carrier landing)(6 traps) - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Whats crazy for me is that I can land without using the ball, but if I attempt to use the ball, I struggle big time. My main issue is controlling my vertical speed.
For me vertical speed is controlled by small increment and decrement of power. Move the throttle up a bit and back again a bit.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #22
DragonFlySlayer

Default Calling Da Ball!

The Ball is simple. Run between 180 to 200 mph. About 150 ft above the water...bring it in. The ball in my cockpit lights up orange then it can spike a touch or red, but green is more of a threat. if it's green ya need to move faster and your probably descending more than we think when it lights up green. I'm looking forward to the AGM-65 Maverick with FLIR pod.
AMRAM 120 slammers!

Now I sure don't want to come across as Mr. Know it all, cause "I ain't"! But I think after all these years of Janes FA18 E , US Navy Fighters, Flanker, LOMAC, FC and now DCS... Now that we have something so much more to perfection and so well done, I don't think much has changed as far as approaching the Carrier.
DragonFlySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #23
ttaylor0024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlySlayer View Post
The Ball is simple. Run between 180 to 200 mph. About 150 ft above the water...bring it in. The ball in my cockpit lights up orange then it can spike a touch or red, but green is more of a threat. if it's green ya need to move faster and your probably descending more than we think when it lights up green. I'm looking forward to the AGM-65 Maverick with FLIR pod.
AMRAM 120 slammers!

Now I sure don't want to come across as Mr. Know it all, cause "I ain't"! But I think after all these years of Janes FA18 E , US Navy Fighters, Flanker, LOMAC, FC and now DCS... Now that we have something so much more to perfection and so well done, I don't think much has changed as far as approaching the Carrier.
That's not the ball, that's the AOA indexer. The ball is on the boat.
ttaylor0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #24
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor0024 View Post
That's not the ball, that's the AOA indexer. The ball is on the boat.

Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Growling Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #25
sze5003

Takes a lot of practice. I ran into the same issue as others. First few days I was on the boat no problem, never crashed. Yesterday I was smacking into it all day. So I stopped after a while and will try again.

My biggest issue is getting trimmed up to level flight after the break. Trim is pretty slow so it all has to be done very quickly. Then once im trimmed out I end up plummeting down on the final groove turn. I add power and try not to use the stick but sometimes it doesn't work like I plan it.

Best thing is not to overcompensate trim up as you drop flaps and gear because you will need to add power to stop from sinking nose down and power will make your nose pitch up so if you trim up too much then you end up needing to trim down then up again. Lots to do in those last 15-20 seconds after the break.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #26
majapahit

Finally figured out where the 'ball' is (simply search google images)

Actually, had lots of trouble landing quick mission 'Case I carrier landing' hitting the stern every time.

Then I though 'why not not think about it and land like a 'kick it down' Beech Baron 58 emergency landing' that I used to do all the time testing FSX settings

.. and Boom, on the deck 2nd cable.
Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 16GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 40" 1080p TV | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen
majapahit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #27
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by majapahit View Post
Finally figured out where the 'ball' is (simply search google images)

Actually, had lots of trouble landing quick mission 'Case I carrier landing' hitting the stern every time.

Then I though 'why not not think about it and land like a 'kick it down' Beech Baron 58 emergency landing' that I used to do all the time testing FSX settings

.. and Boom, on the deck 2nd cable.
check out A.E.W on youtube. he'll tell you everything you need to know about case 1

Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #28
pimp

Wow, that little time off from trap practicing really helped. I can definitely tell i'm getting the hang of it. Learned how to control my vertical speed and I'm seeing the ball regularly. It is very true, that when you get the numbers correct, you will see the ball at the appropriate distance and in time. Practice, practice, practice. That's all it takes.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #29
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Wow, that little time off from trap practicing really helped. I can definitely tell i'm getting the hang of it. Learned how to control my vertical speed and I'm seeing the ball regularly. It is very true, that when you get the numbers correct, you will see the ball at the appropriate distance and in time. Practice, practice, practice. That's all it takes.
exact same here brother, I remember at first people saying look for the ball, id be looking and didnt see anything, thought my carrier had a bug lol, not knowing my angles and altitude and everything were so off.

now I trap with my eyes closed.

Tags
aircraft carrier, dcs, f-18, landing, persian gulf