F/A-18C - Trap Practice (aircraft carrier landing)(6 traps) - Page 3 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
Eaglewings
Member
 
Eaglewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Whats crazy for me is that I can land without using the ball, but if I attempt to use the ball, I struggle big time. My main issue is controlling my vertical speed.
For me vertical speed is controlled by small increment and decrement of power. Move the throttle up a bit and back again a bit.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #22
DragonFlySlayer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 47
Default Calling Da Ball!

The Ball is simple. Run between 180 to 200 mph. About 150 ft above the water...bring it in. The ball in my cockpit lights up orange then it can spike a touch or red, but green is more of a threat. if it's green ya need to move faster and your probably descending more than we think when it lights up green. I'm looking forward to the AGM-65 Maverick with FLIR pod.
AMRAM 120 slammers!

Now I sure don't want to come across as Mr. Know it all, cause "I ain't"! But I think after all these years of Janes FA18 E , US Navy Fighters, Flanker, LOMAC, FC and now DCS... Now that we have something so much more to perfection and so well done, I don't think much has changed as far as approaching the Carrier.
DragonFlySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #23
ttaylor0024
Member
 
ttaylor0024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlySlayer View Post
The Ball is simple. Run between 180 to 200 mph. About 150 ft above the water...bring it in. The ball in my cockpit lights up orange then it can spike a touch or red, but green is more of a threat. if it's green ya need to move faster and your probably descending more than we think when it lights up green. I'm looking forward to the AGM-65 Maverick with FLIR pod.
AMRAM 120 slammers!

Now I sure don't want to come across as Mr. Know it all, cause "I ain't"! But I think after all these years of Janes FA18 E , US Navy Fighters, Flanker, LOMAC, FC and now DCS... Now that we have something so much more to perfection and so well done, I don't think much has changed as far as approaching the Carrier.
That's not the ball, that's the AOA indexer. The ball is on the boat.
ttaylor0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #24
Growling Sidewinder
Member
 
Growling Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor0024 View Post
That's not the ball, that's the AOA indexer. The ball is on the boat.
__________________




Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Growling Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #25
sze5003
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: US
Posts: 866
Default

Takes a lot of practice. I ran into the same issue as others. First few days I was on the boat no problem, never crashed. Yesterday I was smacking into it all day. So I stopped after a while and will try again.

My biggest issue is getting trimmed up to level flight after the break. Trim is pretty slow so it all has to be done very quickly. Then once im trimmed out I end up plummeting down on the final groove turn. I add power and try not to use the stick but sometimes it doesn't work like I plan it.

Best thing is not to overcompensate trim up as you drop flaps and gear because you will need to add power to stop from sinking nose down and power will make your nose pitch up so if you trim up too much then you end up needing to trim down then up again. Lots to do in those last 15-20 seconds after the break.
__________________
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #26
majapahit
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 881
Default

Finally figured out where the 'ball' is (simply search google images)

Actually, had lots of trouble landing quick mission 'Case I carrier landing' hitting the stern every time.

Then I though 'why not not think about it and land like a 'kick it down' Beech Baron 58 emergency landing' that I used to do all the time testing FSX settings

.. and Boom, on the deck 2nd cable.
__________________
Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 16GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 40" 1080p TV | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen
majapahit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #27
Growling Sidewinder
Member
 
Growling Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majapahit View Post
Finally figured out where the 'ball' is (simply search google images)

Actually, had lots of trouble landing quick mission 'Case I carrier landing' hitting the stern every time.

Then I though 'why not not think about it and land like a 'kick it down' Beech Baron 58 emergency landing' that I used to do all the time testing FSX settings

.. and Boom, on the deck 2nd cable.
check out A.E.W on youtube. he'll tell you everything you need to know about case 1
__________________




Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Growling Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #28
pimp
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 488
Default

Wow, that little time off from trap practicing really helped. I can definitely tell i'm getting the hang of it. Learned how to control my vertical speed and I'm seeing the ball regularly. It is very true, that when you get the numbers correct, you will see the ball at the appropriate distance and in time. Practice, practice, practice. That's all it takes.
__________________
i7 6700k @4.7GHz h100i | LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | GTX 1080 FTW2 | Asus Maximus viii Hero | Oculus Rift | HOTAS Cougar
pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #29
Growling Sidewinder
Member
 
Growling Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Wow, that little time off from trap practicing really helped. I can definitely tell i'm getting the hang of it. Learned how to control my vertical speed and I'm seeing the ball regularly. It is very true, that when you get the numbers correct, you will see the ball at the appropriate distance and in time. Practice, practice, practice. That's all it takes.
exact same here brother, I remember at first people saying look for the ball, id be looking and didnt see anything, thought my carrier had a bug lol, not knowing my angles and altitude and everything were so off.

now I trap with my eyes closed.
__________________




Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Growling Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aircraft carrier, dcs, f-18, landing, persian gulf

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.