[Guide] How to make DCS download updates on a separate drive

Shadow KT

To who ever has issues with space on their SSD when updating DCS

What you will have to do is create a symbolic junction, which in simple terms means, creating an image folder on your DCS drive which points to a different drive. This way the game will see the files where they should be, but their physical location will be on another drive. This is perfect for downloads as they are temporary files which is only used while updating. If you try to split your DCS like this you will only degrade your performance.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Here is a nice guide explaining stuff in simple terms.

1. Copy your "_downloads" folder (from the main DCS directory) and paste it on a drive you wish

2. Go back to your DCS directory and delete your "_downloads" folder. (You can combine steps 1 and 2 with the "cut" function)

3. Open the Start Menu and type "cmd" in the search bar, right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as an Administrator"

4. type: mklink /J "C:*path to your dcs "_downloads" folder" "D:*path to where you want the "_downloads" folder's content to be stored"

If successful you should see a message say "Junction created for..."

Here is an example how it was setup for me

mklink /J "C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\_downloads" "D:\Games\DCS\_downloads" (My game is installed on the C drive in this case and I am creating a virtual hard link folder named "_downloads", which when I open will direct to my downloads folder, located on my D drive)

Refresh your DCS directory and you should see the folder back there with a small icon in its bottom left corner.

Don't worry if you mess up something, nothing happens, you can just delete that folder and you destroy the link.

Cheers !

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Thanks a lot, very useful ... I will try it out with tomorrow's update :)

Cheers,

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Tell me how it goes ...

Its working fine .. hadnt realized that it was already wendsday :) ... its downloading into the relocated folder.

I knew already how to create junctions, and currently use them for Liveries and Mission files ... just never thought about using one for the temporary downloads :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Using this technique I expect several folders like doc can also move like that I would like to know what folders besides the unused mods can some one list which folder are not normally used during gameplay like the mission editor etc? What are these folders that can be moved off the ssd and will not effect game play.

I may look into building a mod that copies the mods that you are not using to another drive it will allow you to manually select the folders. On you ssd drive make a copy to another drive do the link and and you do this prior to entering dcs this will minimize your dcs footprint on the ssd and if you decide to fly a different aircraftjust just move the folder back to the ssd and move the other aircraft to the storage drive. Eventually I hope to build a system sIMilar to SkateZilla ‘s dcs updater. It could work like ovgme for folder removals where ovgme enable mods either temporary or permanently.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I'm going to try this out myself, I have a 256gb 960m.2 drive I have DCS and just Windows and associated other productivity type stuff on installed on right now(swapped some drives around), and I've found recently that I ran out of space during an update with my DCS install - I have every module except the Russian transport helo, and every map/WW2/whatever, and my folder size is 130gb.

Anyhow, going to try this out, very interested in being able to pawn off installs on my regular SSD or even my Black WD spinner drives. Thanks for posting this, later today I'll try it out on my primary DCS system.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Don't worry if you mess up something, nothing happens, you can just delete that folder and you destroy the link.

Cheers !

Sounds like a collapse of the wave function of quantum entanglement :D

Great guide S!

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

In todays launcher update:

Version 2.8.3:

- Ability to select a different download folder if there's not enough disk space.

The selection is saved in the 'autoupdate_settings.cfg' file.

- Ask for retry if there's not enough space in the install folder.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, guess this is no longer of help.

Cheers

mklink /j "D:\DCS World OpenBeta 2.5" "G:\DCS World 2.5\_downloads"

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Did you delete the _downloads folder from your install directory ?

The J also has to be capital.

If you still want to do it after the last updater update, link some screenshots to your directories and their paths.

I wonder what method have ED gone with ? Just my luck to have such an update after all I had to do :lol:

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Cheers

If you still want to do it after the last updater update, link some screenshots to your directories and their paths.

I wonder what method have ED gone with ? Just my luck to have such an update after all I had to do :lol:

With the new updater I think I won't need symlink. Thanks anyway.

Am I special?

• 1 month later...

Yes the command prompt method, that, or this lesser known but must-have Windows utility:

Link Shell Extension: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html (scroll to the bottom for download)

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Cheers

Man, this is not working...I either get "Cannot create file when one already exists" or I get syntax error... I made a folder on D: drive called "DCS Download Junction"...then CUT & PASTED _downloads folder from C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta to the D:\DCS Download Junction folder that I created...now here is my command mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads" ok, what did I do wrong

Maybe you guys getting it mixed up.

mklink /J "C:\LinkToFolder" "G:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder"

Assume your game is on C: drive and you have backup G:drive

Cut and paste the _download folder to the G: drive

Now that G:drive is the original folder and the command will create a link folder on to the C: drive where _download folder used to be, pointing to the location in the G:drive.

I'll send an actual command when I get to my PC later

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Man, this is not working...I either get "Cannot create file when one already exists" or I get syntax error... I made a folder on D: drive called "DCS Download Junction"...then CUT & PASTED _downloads folder from C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta to the D:\DCS Download Junction folder that I created...now here is my command mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads" ok, what did I do wrong

Make sure there is no _download folder on C:drive. That's what the command is going to make.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

Maybe you guys getting it mixed up.

mklink /J "C:\LinkToFolder" "G:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder"

Assume your game is on C: drive and you have backup G:drive

Cut and paste the _download folder to the G: drive

Now that G:drive is the original folder and the command will create a link folder on to the C: drive where _download folder used to be, pointing to the location in the G:drive.

I'll send an actual command when I get to my PC later

Yeah, that is directly the opposite of the OP's first post...so which is which? Now wait, that IS what I did. Follow it alphabetically....I'm going from Drive C: (Original install drive) to Drive D: the junction and new home of the downloads...which I did...so why do you have G as the originalfolder location? Also, we need to be careful of the syntax and where spaces are and where quotes are...since we're working in a DOS environment, we need to use double quotes for directories named with spaces...why can't they make an app that does all this syntax stuff for you...it's like we're panning for gold

Edited by Alphamale

Make sure there is no _download folder on C:drive. That's what the command is going to make.

There wasn't...I said I CUT & PASTE...cutting moves the folder thereby creating a void where the folder once was...believe me, I followed the OP's instructions to a TEE....don't know what is wrong, but it seems to me that there could be an simple executable made that does all this for you...

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads"

I figured it out.

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\_downloads" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads"

That will create _download link from C: to D:

The D: could have been named anything else but the C: which is the link must only be named _download for it to fool DCS updater.

And don't forget to right click command promt and run as Admin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

This doesn't work anymore. The installer specifically looks for CoreMods fole under your manin game

folder.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit