Option to set world scale / Enlarge / Reduce (airplane)

misoswan

I think I want to enlarge the scale a bit in DCS, which I suppose would be done by decreasing the distance between the "eyes".

I get the feeling of being too small in game, not by cramped cockpits but more from the fact that the pilot model feels like a rather tiny man. My pilots hands look even smaller in DCS than IRL! Especially in the MiG-15.

Edited by Justin Case
http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

Strange. For me scale is spot on with the Vive.

+1

I don't understand why the scale would need to change. Have you ever sat in a cockpit? Some of them are really tight. There is a reason why there is a height limitations for air force pilots.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

I don't see nothing wrong if it added.
Nothing wrong with that. What is strange is that scale isn't right for everybody as it is for most of us. It must be some kind of bug that should be reported if confirmed that there is something wrong.

It would be helpful if those with scale problems could test a VR headset on someone else computer.

Another option would be to back-up all DCS config files and delete them, run a repair, and launch with default options and no mods.

...It must be some kind of bug that should be reported if confirmed that there is something wrong...

It's not a problem that is limited to DCS. As misoswan stated, other VR programs have implemented the ability to adjust scale. Also, you may be right in assuming most people don't have this problem, but you may also be wrong. In this thread at the time of this post, four of the seven people posting are experiencing the problem.

Maybe you can fix your problem by changing head position in game. Feeling of space could be individual as well as connected with wrong central head position. Check this video, it is not DCS but problem is the same and I think could be fixed with little tweaking in game.

What is strange is that scale isn't right for everybody as it is for most of us.

Some people are larger than others and the world also looks different size for them because of that. If you happen to be larger or smaller than average VR world will also look larger or smaller than what you are used to. This of course assumes that the world scale is set for average user. The main parameter is IPD and eye height is also important if you are doing VR while standing. Naturally if you aren't presented anything familiar which size is known you can't ascertain the "real" size of the objects and world.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

In this thread at the time of this post, four of the seven people posting are experiencing the problem.

My problem with statements like this is: how do you know there is a problem? That the scale is off? Feeling?

Also, the beauty of 1:1 headtracking is that it will recreate the same perspective you'd have in real life if you were taller, shorter etc.

A tall guy would feel more cramped and closer to the canopy in a tight cockpit as he should in real life. (This doesn't change the size of the displays or buttons or whatever.)

I don't see what's wrong with that.

Oh, and btw: IPD has nothing to do with scale. ICD (Inter Camera Distance) does - which is basically how far apart the two virtual eyes are placed in the VR world.

If your ICD is not equal to your IPD (1:1 mapping), you can cheat your player's perception of scale.

Example: if you set your ICD to 6.5 meters instead of 65mm (your IPD) you'll feel like a giant.

Set it to 6.5mm and you'll feel like a mouse.

Ever played Final Approach or Out of Ammo on the Vive? They have a god mode and an FPS mode on the EXACT SAME map. All they need to do to achieve this is change this one parameter.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

+1

Scaling is need for some modules. Hawk has tremendously large cockpit with VC1. L39 is is bit too large.

AeroFly FS2 simulator has done VR scaling correctly. Also the scaling needs to be only per one module, so that we have different scaling levels for each aircraft.

It's perceptual. I'm not saying DCS world scale is incorrect.

If you know how to adjust ICD in DCS and get the results we'd expect, please post a procedure.

My problem with statements like this is: how do you know there is a problem? That the scale is off? Feeling?

Also, the beauty of 1:1 headtracking is that it will recreate the same perspective you'd have in real life if you were taller, shorter etc.

A tall guy would feel more cramped and closer to the canopy in a tight cockpit as he should in real life. (This doesn't change the size of the displays or buttons or whatever.)

I don't see what's wrong with that.

Oh, and btw: IPD has nothing to do with scale. ICD (Inter Camera Distance) does - which is basically how far apart the two virtual eyes are placed in the VR world.

If your ICD is not equal to your IPD (1:1 mapping), you can cheat your player's perception of scale.

Example: if you set your ICD to 6.5 meters instead of 65mm (your IPD) you'll feel like a giant.

Set it to 6.5mm and you'll feel like a mouse.

Ever played Final Approach or Out of Ammo on the Vive? They have a god mode and an FPS mode on the EXACT SAME map. All they need to do to achieve this is change this one parameter.

I agree that the scales is slightly off to the small side. Everything is really tiny in the Mirage for example. Really prominently seen on the pilot model as well, after ejection for example. I setting to adjust scale would vastly increase the immersion.

Using a Vive. The IPD is set according to the measurements of my optician.

P.S. DCS is the only game that is slightly off in scale. Also H3 for example. Guns in my hand look and feel tiny.

It's perceptual. I'm not saying DCS world scale is incorrect.

If you know how to adjust ICD in DCS and get the results we'd expect, please post a procedure.

ICD is set by the engines's developer (ED in this case) and should be 1:1 from the IPD setting (unless it's a fantasy game and they want to make you feel like a dwarf).

The only problem I could see is that the individual aircraft might be using incorrect sizes which would impact 2D as well - maybe not that visible there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just got my CV1 after using the DK2 for a number of months and wow, when I jumped into the cockpit on DCS i felt like I was in a boat... everything is massive, really out of scale. (well to my point of view :).

I have sat in an l39 cockpit and a p51 cockpit and it there is not a lot of room, especially for me and I'm only 6'1. There definitely seems to be something out of scale here.

I fly with p3d a lot and use flyinside-fsx.com software which works great and has an awesome world scale function, which is a slider that takes the scale up and down in 10% increments. Would love to see that implemented in DCS...please!!

even if my scale point of view is incorrect it would be great just to have that option.

Cheers

The scale being off for some users is a known issue in cv1. It has been acknowledged by oculus staff and they are looking into that. The problem is that the rift runtime misreports the IPD settings (lens slider) and keeps it stuck on default (64). So people with IPD value much smaller or bigger then 64 see things too big or too small. Hopefully they fix it soon..

The scale being off for some users is a known issue in cv1. It has been acknowledged by oculus staff and they are looking into that. The problem is that the rift runtime misreports the IPD settings (lens slider) and keeps it stuck on default (64). So people with IPD value much smaller or bigger then 64 see things too big or too small. Hopefully they fix it soon..

hello it is not problem IPD .