Using takeoff rudder assist - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Thunder View Post
Graf, thank you for your feedback. I did the takeoff from runway as a quick way to get to the heart of my problems and have a short track to upload. In my practice missions I normally cold start from parking and set both radiators wide open before startup. They stay that way until after I am in the air (whenever I do get off the ground).

I'll practice with locking the tail wheel and then centering the stick as I roll.

A few questions:

Once the tail comes up, do I need to use a little forward stick to keep the mains on the ground to build up more speed?

Lift off speed should be around 150 MPH to avoid lifting off in ground effect, correct?
You can have just a little froward stick but not too much, when you forcing p-51 nose to go down you experience quite strong gyroscopic procession, which will pull you to the left.
150 mph is too high speed for lift off. 160 mph is landing speed limit so you need time to retract landing gear. Remember to hold take off attitude after lift off.
Normally P-51 is giving signs that it wants to lift, then it is right time. I thin you can hold 150 mph for lift off, but you need to put p-51 in aggressive climb to not over speed landing gear.
Just remember to not swing nose up and down during take off roll this will makes thing much easier.

You were correct with that loading, 140-150 is lift off speed for me. I did noticed it after watching my take off
Attached Files
File Type: trk P-51.trk (495.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by grafspee; 05-24-2020 at 09:11 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote