F/A-18C - TPOD - AGM-65F - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
Captain Orso

Default F/A-18C - TPOD - AGM-65F

F/A-18C - TPOD - AGM-65F

Do these play together in any way?

In the AV-8B this works like a dream. Us the TPOD to lock a target, uncage the IRMV, confirm target designation, rifle. It goes faster than it took me to write that.

In the Hornet...

It's the same TPOD, it's the same IR-Mavs, it's the same service branch to some extent, and in some it is exactly the same.

What's wrong here (and it may be just me completely)?

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #2
Svsmokey

Doesn't work worth spit on stable , at least the last two versions of ob have it working very well , pretty much as you describe with the Harrier .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
Captain Orso

I'm flying only OB and occasionally it works in the Hornet. In 5 flights on got 4 missiles off -- FOUR! - against stationary T-72's on a runway.

In the Harrier it ALWAYS works.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
Old 05-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #4
Svsmokey

Hmmm...I practice with the "ready on the ramp" instant mission , load 4 mav-f's , a couple of mk82's and a Litening . Usually head over to Batumi to sink all those lovely ships , or north to the nearest airfield to blow up the Il-76 , the Hip , and hangars/buildings/control tower . I always unload all ordinance , although i pretty consistently get only 3 mav hits on the designated targets .
One thing that has changed is you now have to use the "undesignate" button instead of "cage/uncage" to return the pod to snowplow . Prolly correct now , as opposed to before .
Does the Harrier have a tpod Los on the hud ? That's my biggest problem with the Hornet . I'm playing with the vv slave now to try to work around it .

"Hold my beer"

Last edited by Svsmokey; 05-23-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:05 AM   #5
Pike

I struggle getting the Mav F to lock the target designated in the tpod, even in OB.

At this point I just use waypoint designate and slew the Mav to that area and pick targets up manually. Or mental note the area I did designate with the tpod and then undesignate and slew the Mav to that area.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Captain Orso

I've recognized something new.

I'm guessing the procedure to to using TPOD and IRMV are as follows -- although this only works sometimes(!!)

DDI-L = stores (IRMV selected and ready -- IRMV is boxed and crossed out and caged))
DDI-R = TPOD, target is locked -- you must press TDC-Depress ONCE on a target to designate and lock it (target diamond appears on HUD), afterwards you may switch to a new target by slewing TDC, and pressing TDC-Depress is no longer required
SOI is DDI-R.

- SCS left.
- Cage/Uncage button to uncage the selected IRMV.
-- IR-Seeker head automatically slews to target selected by TPOD. If within range, IRMV will become firable (crossout is removed from boxed IRMV).
- Pickle to fire IRMV
-- Next IRMV (if any remain) is selected [newly selected IRMV is Uncaged(!!!!)). This is wrong from my understanding. You uncage a single weapon, not a class of weapon. If IRMV on pilon 7 was just fired and IRMV on pilon 1 is now selected, it can not be uncaged.

I believe this is how subsequent IRMV's should be fired:

- SCS right.
- Slew TDC to new target.
- SCS right twice to switch to point target (vehicle) mode.
- Adjust targeting aim, if necessary.
- SCS left.
- Cage/Uncage button to uncage the selected IRMV.
-- IR-Seeker head automatically slews to target selected by TPOD. If within range, IRMV will become firable (crossout is removed from boxed IRMV).
- Pickle to fire IRMV

Because the newly selected IRMV is marked as Uncaged, I press Cage/Uncage before moving the SOI back to the TPOD, however, when I've selected a new target and return to the IRMV page, uncaging does slew the seeker head to the new target, but the boxed IRMV NEVER becomes uncrossed and is therefore not firable

After re-Uncaging the IRMV, TDC-Depress -- which would be the method without TPOD targeting -- makes no difference, crossout is not removed.

Somewhere along the line here some status is not being set correctly (maybe the Caged/Uncaged status). I have managed to fire subsequent IRMV's a couple times after fidgeting around with it for long enough, but after a while, there's no way to tell, exactly what made the difference [rubbing a penny on your left elbow while whistling La Marseillaise and hopping on your right leg is as good a guess as any], but that can't be what is expected of virtual pilots.

System Specs.
Spoiler: