Mi-8 CPU spiking

When flying the Mi-8 I'm experiencing frequent spikes in CPU usage. I haven't been able to find the specific reason for it but I can show it happening.

In this video I do a couple of landings on the Moscow in the Ka-50 and then a few more in the Mi-8. The mission has no other A.I. in it and while flying the Ka-50 the CPU doesn't break sweat. But when piloting the Mi-8 the CPU is regularly hitting 100% and causing very choppy performance.

The CPU spiking happens even while flying the Mi-8 across the land with no aircraft, ships or anything around so I don't think it's a Moscow thing - I just used the ship mission to reliably capture what was happening.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

What's your processor? Mine never goes above 50% or so with any module.

i5-7500 @ 3.8GHZ

Same story as yourself, my CPU usually hangs around 45-50% (unless I'm online) in every module I have (MiG-21 has its moments, mind) but the Mi-8 is just all over the shop.

e: it was your video that convinced me to buy the Hip so technically this is all your fault.

Edited by Lixma 06

e: it was your video that convinced me to buy the Hip so technically this is all your fault.

:pilotfly:

How are your settings? I'll attach a screenshot of mine. I don't recall ever having any noticeable choppiness while flying or recording the replay track, but I wasn't watching my CPU usage at the time either.

I just watched your video.

It seemed to me that the 'choppiness' that you mention is the vibration of the airframe as you move between having Effective Translational Lift and not (which causes vibrations and the aircraft to 'shudder').

If you find it disturbing try turning down the cockpit camera shake option in the Mi-8 special tab (I think that does it).

I thought that the CPU use was just as you went into and out of ETL, but tried myself & CPU use was 17& to 20%, but occasional plateaux at 70% - yes as ETL happened, and seemingly not once stable airspeed above 100km/h was established, but then at times that blew that theory out of the water...

Try a mission without a boat.

I just tried the same thing inland with no boat, but 24 AI and a FARP.

No CPU spikes at all.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

How are your settings?

More or less identical to yours. They're not straining the GFX card; I prefer FPS over glamour.

I just watched your video.

It seemed to me that the 'choppiness' that you mention is the vibration of the airframe as you move between having Effective Translational Lift....Try a mission without a boat.

It probably didn't translate well to video but the choppiness was manifesting itself much like when you have V-Sync turned on and your FPS drops below the refresh rate - that's why you'll see me looking around the cockpit to try and show it. I know about the cockpit shake.

Re: the boat - I wonder if the boat is trying to contact me in any way? The Moscow appears in the radio list (although I've never been able to get through) and the ship opens its 'petals' when you touch down on the pad - this suggests to me there might be some angry unrequited radio traffic berating me for not landing without permission. Maybe this is tripping it up in some way? Or maybe some kind of collision detection conflict - like the 21 is having trouble with? Dunno.

However.....however....today it's been more or less fine. The occasional spike and stutter (it's DCS after all) but nothing out of the ordinary. I'll keep an eye on it.

Edited by Lixma 06

Another video to demonstrate what's going on - the top-left readout shows what the CPU is up to.

Four quick flights - Mi-8, Ka-50, Mi-8, Ka-50. All the same mission, one after the other.

In summary the Mi-8 the CPU is regularly smashing into 100% usage causing very choppy performance. Flying the Ka-50 the CPU never breaks 50% usage and is buttery smooth all the way through.

I tried landing the Mi-8 on some other ships; they were all more or less the same experience as the Moscow.....except the Oliver Perry :noexpression: