Getting rid of external tanks?

Ragnar65

Same.

There are other things, like the G limit override paddle on the joystick. You do this in real life, you're going to have to explain yourself as now that plane needs to be checked. in DCS, it's not a big deal. Nothing breaks, nothing nobody yells at you, and you cain free Gs. lol

Good ol' paddle switch! :)

I probably would have grounded my country's entire air force at this point. Either that or I would have been scrubbing dunnies and/or been on KP for 20 years :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Good ol' paddle switch! :)

I probably would have grounded my country's entire air force at this point. Either that or I would have been scrubbing dunnies and/or been on KP for 20 years :)

AD

An over G inspection beats a heater up the tailpipe!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I'm glad F-14 will simulate this. Overstress the plane, and shit starts to break. lol

Granted with the F18 you probably won't break anything the first time, but if the airframes could maintain their reliability, after 2-3 sorties, a wing is sure to come off. lmao

No. Hornet pilots getting shot at by SAMs do not punch off their tanks- just like Tomcat and A-6 pilots. You train with tanks on and fight with tanks on. If you get jumped over an enemy airbase by a super maneuverable bandit with a pair of IR missiles and a gun, you've wasted too much time looking at him instead of killing him, and deserve to get shot down. The F-4 was a different jet, from a different time, that had to fight at high speed. The Hornet is not that kind of jet at all.

I've heard a real Hornet pilot (Jello I think it was, in a Q&A session) say that they would punch out the tanks if they got in a real air to air engagement. Which would make a lot of sense. You don't want the added weight pulling you down and especially the added drag bleeding your energy...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm glad F-14 will simulate this. Overstress the plane, and shit starts to break. lol

Granted with the F18 you probably won't break anything the first time, but if the airframes could maintain their reliability, after 2-3 sorties, a wing is sure to come off. lmao

If that's the case the first thing I'll do with the Tomcat is takeoff, fly to angels 40 and do a vertical dive at full burner..... Let's see how much she can handle ;) :joystick:

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Unless you're speaking from a hornet driver's perspective or info given to you from hornet drivers, I don't really believe it.

I find it ironic that you say that, then go on to make a bunch of claims / statements about SAM avoidance, having never done it yourself. It's definitely possible to notch / spoof an SA-15... there are plenty of youtube vids of it happening.

Bottom line, IRL, if you believe you're in danger of dying, you're going to mash the admiral's doorbell (as mentioned earlier)... IRL you're not just going to dump tanks while cruising like many of us do in DCS once they're empty. FWIW, i have no problem dodging SA-15's in DCS inside 8 miles with 4 mavs and centerline tank on... no real reason to dump it unless i get caught with my pants down... and if that's the case, i'm probably just gonna die...

I find it ironic that you say that, then go on to make a bunch of claims / statements about SAM avoidance, having never done it yourself. It's definitely possible to notch / spoof an SA-15... there are plenty of youtube vids of it happening.

Bottom line, IRL, if you believe you're in danger of dying, you're going to mash the admiral's doorbell (as mentioned earlier)... IRL you're not just going to dump tanks while cruising like many of us do in DCS once they're empty. FWIW, i have no problem dodging SA-15's in DCS inside 8 miles with 4 mavs and centerline tank on... no real reason to dump it unless i get caught with my pants down... and if that's the case, i'm probably just gonna die...

Dodging an SA-15 from 8 miles isn't that difficult... You could probably just turn away instead of doing a full up SAM threat reaction.

I guess it is more situation dependent than I meant earlier. If you're at the far edges of max intercept range (MIR,) you're going to turn away in full burner to kinematically defeat the missile. Most real life SAM operators won't shoot you at MIR. They'll keep their radars turned off until you're getting closer, turn on their acq and TTR radars, then shoot within seconds. That's when you punch the tanks immediately, because even if that tank is empty and only a few hundred pounds, that could mean the difference between life and death.