L-39 vs. C-101

Zius

What do you think about this comparison?

Both are trainers with light attack and limited A2A / self defence capability.

Both are fairly uncomplicated and pleasant to fly.

But what about the differences?

The easiest difference is East vs. West, but what else can we say about these aircraft / modules?

Which one do you prefer? Which would you recommend more?

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Both are trainers with light attack and limited A2A / self defence capability.

Both are fairly uncomplicated and pleasant to fly.

But what about the differences?

The easiest difference is East vs. West, but what else can we say about these aircraft / modules?

One could say that the Multiplayer features are completed on the L39, while still being WIP on the C-101.

Which one do you prefer? Which would you recommend more?

I'm partial, as the C-101 was used on my countries Air Force :) ... I've both aircrafts on my Hangar, but I actually prefer to fly on the C-101 ... I find its larger instruments much easier to read than those of the L-39.

IVrFzg4.jpg

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well, of course I'm going to say the C-101 but I'm a bit of a fanboi. :) But I don't own the L-39 so I can't really fairly compare them.

That being said, I agree with Rudel that the L-39 is certainly more complete and polished. The external model texture seem a little nicer with the bump mapping and light reflection. The cockpit looks good but a little too clean and new but I really haven't taken a hard look at it. Also, the L-39, from what I hear has more pep.

The C-101, however, has a much longer range, double the weapons load-out, and is a little more versatile with the anti-ship missiles (although these are a little restricted right now). And I think the navigation suite is a little more useful with the current map set (TACAN, VOR, ADF, ILS). The C-101 has a nice external model but could use a bit of love to bring it up to the same level as the L-39. And I love the C-101 cockpit but think maybe the worn texturing is a little overdone. The gauge lighting is superb though!

I really like both. And, although they are both similar, there are also a lot of differences and character to them both.

L-39

• Eastern-bloc (style, comms, nav, etc.)
  • Used by a lot more countries
  • Rudder-and-single-brake steering
  • Simpler cockpit in terms of number of dials...
  • ... but these dials are more difficult to read
  • Lots of switches.
  • Slightly more involved in starting it up.
  • Feels light and responsive to fly
  • Alse feels slightly more intuitive to fly
  • Needs less runway to take off or land
  • Not quite as many weapon options, but...
  • 4x PK3 gunpods... more BRRRRRRRT! than an A-10!!
  • Bombs are lighter than those of the C-101
  • No cluster munitions
  • Weapons... there is always one more switch to get them to fire!
  • No bugs that I know of
  • No further development work that I know of
  • Option to buy the Kursant campaign for it... which is nice
  • You'll see it more often on multiplayer servers
  • A real L-39 looks slightly nicer than a real C-101
  • The L-39 certainly has very graceful and sleek looks.
  • But the DCS model is a little lack-lustre
  • Good selection of official paintschemes
  • Huge range of community paintschemes

C-101

• Western-style (style, comms, nav, etc.)
  • Only used by a few countries
  • Differential braking
  • Busy, cluttered cockpit
  • ... but actually quite easy to read
  • Very easy to get it started
  • Feels heavy to fly
  • I end up watching the gauges a bit more
  • Needs a LOT of runway to take off/land
  • Great variety of bombs and missiles
  • Carried heavier bombs and cluster munitions
  • Weapons are easy to set-up and use
  • Has the Sea Eagle missiles, but they are of limited use.
  • A few minor bugs (e.g. bomb-mode key bindings)
  • Some features are still being implemented
  • But the devs are actively working on it!
  • No additional campaigns... yet
  • Not quite as common on the multiplayer servers
  • Real-aircraft is perhaps not as graceful as the L-39
  • But the DCS model is superbly detailed and life-like.
  • Wish it had a few more paintschemes (esp. generic woodland and desert schemes without markings, that could be used by any country)

The C-101 and the L-39 are a fantastic matchup, and I really like them both. I have only recently got the C-101, so I am still getting used to it. Also, the C-101 is still being developed, so it is still improving (although the L-39 is already a mature, stable module).

That said, I think the western-style, the differential braking and the beautifully modelled cockpit make me slightly prefer the C-101. But it is a really, really close call.

If I had to recommend? ... Both!

However, if you only want one, then just go with whichever takes your fancy. And if you still can't decide, then think whether you prefer the east/west style of cockpit, taxiing, and comms/nav.

Good posts, especially the one by xvii-Dietrich.

The amount of runway that the C-101 needs took me by surprise the first time as well.

The Albatros is simply a joy to fly. The ergonomics, especially related to weapons, are not that fantastic. Although, contrary to others, I have 0% problems with the size or location of the gauges.

The C-101 is perhaps slightly less entertaining to fly, but it way easier to operate everything. It's also more stable and easier to fly in my opinion.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I'm surprised to hear the gauges readability comparison . I find the L-39's oversized gauges easy to read , especially in VR . And it cannot be overstated-it is a delight to fly .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'm surprised to hear the gauges readability comparison . I find the L-39's oversized gauges easy to read , especially in VR . And it cannot be overstated-it is a delight to fly .

I don't use VR, but that's certainly my impression. Maybe I might have the zoom/head-position set up differently for the two aircraft. Hmm... I'm puzzled now... I'll do some investigating. :unsure:

EDIT

I've now had a look... and posted some screenshots. The viewpoints are not absolutely identical, but you should get the idea.

1. C-101 CC

0CCF40BF981AEAE3FAE292ADCE18E1C02B5C2A5F

2. L-39ZA

853454BED5748A5EABBE836A71211F4ED60206AD

Although both are very good, I will stick with my original assessment that I somehow find the gauges in the C-101 a bit easier to read. I guess the bigger digits and higher contrast (white on black vs light grey on dark grey) make the difference for me. The blue-brown coloured aritificial horizon is also easier to quickly assess.

Also, although not shown in the above screenshots, I find the illuminated numeric indicators of the C-101 help a lot. Things like the RPM% digits or the digital ammunition counter.

Edited by xvii-Dietrich
Posted some screenshots and added some additional assessment.

• 1 month later...