To the executives and management of Eagle Dynamics

Akula

Really happy with ED's direction on self-publishing, so don't change a thing there.

On the other hand, a collaboration on engine tech between ED and Laminar Research could be a potential, hypothetical match made in (flight sim) heaven.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 3 weeks later...
Really happy with ED's direction on self-publishing, so don't change a thing there.

On the other hand, a collaboration on engine tech between ED and Laminar Research could be a potential, hypothetical match made in (flight sim) heaven.

As long as ED maintains 100% control over it's company without partnering up with some greedy prick publisher (i.e. EA, Activision) I'm happy. ED is growing slowly and steadily and that's what works best for any growing company.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Yeah all this like it's now but with added more relationship with HW manufacturers, not specifically built for DCS-only but that it would make sense for flight sims and such things, in the best case scenario I'd have some kind of a professional tier of PC hardware where it would be all rigorous standards on latency and performance, something like an offshoot of workstation segment, or it could be called but I don't like that association with gaming as today's gaming doesn't have much to do with realistic flight sims, plus, this is semi-entertainment, I'm not laughing like a 15 year old "this is fun" when I play DCS, I take it seriously as if I was flying for real and you don't see anyone imagining they're playing a game in air either and I wouldn't like the direct association with the "entertainment".

So the idea is that this kind of professional workhorse (don't have a better name) would be suited for these type's of physics workloads which are more serial, ED can make DCS only so much parallel as possible but the bulk can't be effectively parralelized, techincally it is possible but the cost of syncing these parallel workloads across the CPU cores would negate some of the benefits so I have been told (but didn't go that indepth), the problem is getting HW manufacturers interested in a small market, but the point is, it's PREMIUM, who care if it's small, it will just cost more and that solves it, and we're prepared to pay that kind of dollar, better than nothing.

The community simply has to show they're interested in much beefier hardware, perhaps even in a bigger form factor, I don't understand this necessity on space, which sometimes you see in gaming market, that's why I don't like any "gaming" association, I can put 3 PCs on the top of a closet right now and it wouldn't affect my living space at all.

But stuff already exists out there, individually as well, this is where some kind of a standards/association company could come in, it would take some custom-PC type company to do this as they can more easily then negotiate with HW manufactueres and someone doing this from scratch, let alone an individual DCS pilot, with the idea of ED being part of the talks and supporting, they would all cooperate on making the blueprint.

Someone who's serious about DCS wouldn't mind having a server rack in the back closet, if he already has a big chair, monitor, joystick and pedals in the room, and serious DCS pilots don't live in a campus apartment they can afford a separate computer room away from bedroom and the rest of normal daily activities, so it's not an issue, and all the cables can be made anew standard to this platform, going past the normal lenght/bandwidth stuff, fiber optics, that would also be immue to EMI (electro-magnetic interference), with a practical and sturdy connector without with a proper lock (similar but not so annoying to DVI)

Most of the issues with the mass consumer standards is the petty properties, it has to flex, it has to clip in easily, plugnplay, meant to be reconnected many times, as slim as possible, so half the tech/time/budget is spent on petty conveniences, we don't need any of those gimmicks, you won't be reconnecting and replugging and moving your DCS super-workstation around so much, only occasional maintenance, and since you wouldn't need to, there's no need for some convenient, with these petty things out of the way it's far easier for HW manufacurers to manufacture, HDMI and DP cables, those aren't easy to make, the tooling that is required for those small pins and precision fit and alignment, if it's easier on HW, more chance the whole project would have success.

Upgrades would come far less frequent, but would actually be a substantial upgrade, becaus it's premium right, it takes time to test and certify, not some petty update like the consumer mobile industry with a new phone every 6 months, it's ridicolous, who the heck can keep up with that and half the time it's all about bragging to friends, it's childish behavior.

The problem is Windows, it's known USB drivers are slow compared to a linux kernel driver, I know it's not FPS and maybe lightning fast reaction doesn't matter that much, but hey, this idea isn't just about DCS, all kinds, solar system simulator, I know supercomputers and server farms are for that, but that's a bit of an overkill and you can't personally get a hold of it. It's not about 100x the speed of current recommended specs for DCS, it's about let's say 3-5x, so you can have 4K at 75hz or 1440p at 120hz. You could have 2 segments, the 75hz one (notice I did not mention 60hz, why, because it's actually not the standard PC gaming refresh rate, it was always 75hz way before the 1080p HDTV came into mainstream use, so 60hz is a faux "high-framerate" standard made by the console and HDTV industry because their LCD panels were and still mostly are 60hz, tearing and other glitches are almost gone at 75 while I can still see them on 60Hz, those 15Hz in that key range still makes quite a difference.)

Well, I didn't test Win10 USB latency yet, it may be improved, not sure. Latency is a huge deal for VR so don't think it's not important just because DCS isn't a FPS.

Very true. Let's hope ED does not lose it's vision and continues on their own path with their own interests. I just don't get why todays companies don't have the "give them what they want and they will buy" philosophy. Instead, they have the "get them addicted and then drain their wallet" mindset.

Because ... Leaked video shows Google leadership's political bias and conspiracy 0 Links

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Smearing is lying to make things seem worse then they are. There is no smearing going on here nor is there any defamation or slander.

I didn't say there was. Please read that post again.

If it's factual it's classed under freedom of speech and freedom of information. Furthermore the opinions expressed in the forums by the public are not the opinions of ED, DCS or it's affiliates.

You don't understand the concept of freedom of speech nor how shitstorms work...

Maybe this can help you a bit

https://xkcd.com/1357/

Newsflash: If you think that a privately held company has any obligation to entertain your opinion on a forum that they provide, well, think again.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!