Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

Any suggestions how to properly align the kneeboard? I have a 2 monitor setup, and the MFD's work ok on the bottom one in my MFD frames. Yet if I bring up the kneeboard, in is somewhere halfway both screen.

Is there a callout/viewport for the kneeboard that I can re-position?

ok, got it working. Change the line below in to what you need:

dedicated_viewport = {default_x,default_y,default_width,default_height}

can be found in

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua

Add thing now is that MFDs work fine in A-10c but radar screen in de M2000C only shows in the right MFD when I select the extern (F3) view?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry! Is there a place with ready files here? I have two monitors and absolutely do not understand how to set them up. (4K up +Full HD down)

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5000MZ

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING WIFI

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID

Kingston KHX2666C16 32Gb

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1Tb

Kraken CPU cooler

ViewSonic 4K

Sorry! Is there a place with ready files here? I have two monitors and absolutely do not understand how to set them up. (4K up +Full HD down)

There was a guy posting a tool to make it much simpler and I think ED squashed it, even if they didn't they seem to not think multi monitor is very important, we pay for their stuff but they still expect paying customers to have to go through the UNFRIENDLY process of trying to figure out the math, through trial and error. I would completely agree with this if this were some armature community project! Best of luck to you, I'm too old to work for something I'm paying for already, so I no longer invest in the thing.

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

There was a guy posting a tool to make it much simpler and I think ED squashed it, even if they didn't they seem to not think multi monitor is very important, we pay for their stuff but they still expect paying customers to have to go through the UNFRIENDLY process of trying to figure out the math, through trial and error. I would completely agree with this if this were some armature community project! Best of luck to you, I'm too old to work for something I'm paying for already, so I no longer invest in the thing.

I've long been frustrated with the same. I agree this should be fully implemented by now.:mad:

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

I don't know if I can answer this but are your monitors arranged in Windows 1 over 1 or 1 beside 1? What are the physical sizes of your monitors?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I don't know if I can answer this but are your monitors arranged in Windows 1 over 1 or 1 beside 1? What are the physical sizes of your monitors?

help me please if you can with second monitor.cfg for Harrier))

6.jpg.417106f0b8c4707a1c2c5e493abb6e63.jpg

Kingston KHX2666C16 32Gb

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1Tb

Kraken CPU cooler

ViewSonic 4K

help me if you can with second monitor.cfg for Harrier

I can't be sure if this will work but save the attached into your DCS World\Config\Monitorsetup folder, set your in game resolution to 3840 x 3240 and select the screen option '3840 over 1920 for resolution 3840 x 3240' and see what you get. If it isn't what you want post a screenshot and explain.

3840 over 1920 for resolution 3840 x 3240.lua

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I can't be sure if this will work but save the attached into your DCS World\Config\Monitorsetup folder, set your in game resolution to 3840 x 3240 and select the screen option '3840 over 1920 for resolution 3840 x 3240' and see what you get. If it isn't what you want post a screenshot and explain.

I want to thank for your support

As a result, I get duplicate pictures.

But the most unpleasant - a reduction in FPS three times. (from 66 to 23) Is that typical?:(

photo_2019-02-06_14-06-35.thumb.jpg.4a17ef560944a3f7eaf2adc837715493.jpg

Kingston KHX2666C16 32Gb

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1Tb

Kraken CPU cooler

ViewSonic 4K

I hope to get a similar configuration.

Is it possible?

22.thumb.jpg.ae8da86218c371ebdea29ea8a5516d9d.jpg

Kingston KHX2666C16 32Gb

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1Tb

Kraken CPU cooler

ViewSonic 4K

I want to thank for your support

As a result, I get duplicate pictures.

But the most unpleasant - a reduction in FPS three times. (from 66 to 23) Is that typical?:(

My apologies, in the file I sent you the Bottom view has viewDy = 0; That is a straight ahead look. In the attached file I have changed it to viewDy = -1; which is looking down. Try that one, just delete the previous one and replace it with this one. If the top of the lower screen doesn't align with the bottom of the upper screen for a contiguous vertical cockpit image try lower Bottom screen values for viewDy = such as viewDy = -0.75; until it does. You can edit using say Notepad++

FPS: You are asking you graphics card to generate two separate Viewports which roughly halves the fps and your new ingame resolution may be more than twice the original. It all costs. What was your original ingame resolution? The GPU load is influenced by the total number of pixels to be generated and then the number of Viewports to be created.

Your lower screen looks squished compared with the upper screen. That is because I thought your monitors were the same physical size (width). It should be possible to match physical size of the bottom image to the top image by 'cutting out' the appropriate part of the total ingame image but of course you would lose some side area of the bottom image.

3840 over 1920 for resolution 3840 x 3240.lua

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

• 2 weeks later...

BMW969: I think you will find your setup a lot easier if you place your small screen to the right of the Main screen in your monitor settings in Windows - that is to say physically it still sits below, but is positioned to the right, and level with the top of the main screen as far as Windows is concerned. This is how I use it because I have a monitor physically below, and triple screens (although only using one at present). Other than the fact that I have different sizes, and more instruments exported - this is how I do it.

This can have the benefit of using fewer pixels (in some setups). However, Arrange as you see fit - it just means changing the numbers to suit how you want it - to the side or below. I suggest a quick tool such as Cursor Position From Mattlav software to get a rough idea of your positions. The important thing to remember is that the 3d view size, and GUI position is what goes in the lua, while the total screen size in the GUI set-up screen is the overall size of all your screens - so 5760x2160 in this case, or 3840x3240 if you have a top & bottom set-up. Aspect ratio should be calculated too - if you don't then it will assume that you want the total aspect ratio for both screens - and that will be stretched.

Then you can use a modified 1 screen MonitorSetup lua like this:-

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('MD_TestScreen');

Description = '1 screen as 1 viewport plus small Monitor physically below, but to rh/top in windows screen config'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840; -- Width of 3d viewscreen (main monitor)

height = 2160; -- 3d world will only display in this area initial splashscreen however doesn't know about this setting.

viewDx = 0; -- NOTE Options.lua via the gui option settings uses 5760 as the TOTAL screen width.

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7777777778

}

}

LEFT_MFCD = -- Built-in

{

x = 3841

y = 360;

width = 512;

height = 512;

}

RIGHT_MFCD = --Built-in

{

x = 5247;

y = 360;

width = 512;

height = 512;

}

-- F-18C (or other) centre MFD Built in (ish)

CENTER_MFCD =

{

x =4544;

y = 360;

width = 512;

height = 512;

}

GUI =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 2160;

}

UIMainView = GUI

Edited by mkiii
Added information

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm trying to do a very specific configuration, but I'm having a hard time with it. I know how I could get around it (By moving the top monitor in windows configuration from the top to the very bottom or left), but I'm trying to avoid that solution.

I'm trying to help someone setting this upm they have 3 screens in a vertical config, the top is to be left for other things outside the Sim (discord, etc). The middle is to be the main view screen, and the bottom one is to show The MFDs, etc. The problem is that DCS always wants to start rendering at the top screen when a resolution bigger than the main screen is used. Is there anyway I can get DCS to ignore this screen?

Hello, I'm trying to do a very specific configuration, but I'm having a hard time with it. I know how I could get around it (By moving the top monitor in windows configuration from the top to the very bottom or left), but I'm trying to avoid that solution.

AFAIK, that is your only solution if you want DCS to ignore the top monitor.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Could you post a photo of the setup

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

I'm trying to help someone setting this upm they have 3 screens in a vertical config, the top is to be left for other things outside the Sim (discord, etc). The middle is to be the main view screen, and the bottom one is to show The MFDs, etc. The problem is that DCS always wants to start rendering at the top screen when a resolution bigger than the main screen is used. Is there anyway I can get DCS to ignore this screen?

I'm thinking you should be able to do this. Unless there is a bug with the monitor lua setup. In Windows, you have three screens top to bottom, and Windows desktop setting has the monitors as 1, 2, 3 in vertical format?

What resolution are each of the monitors (if different)?

And can you post the monitor lua file as well as what resolution you specified in the game setting?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Could you post a photo of the setup

I'm thinking you should be able to do this. Unless there is a bug with the monitor lua setup. In Windows, you have three screens top to bottom, and Windows desktop setting has the monitors as 1, 2, 3 in vertical format?

What resolution are each of the monitors (if different)?

And can you post the monitor lua file as well as what resolution you specified in the game setting?

Thanks for the willingness to help guys but I think cichlidfan and Zarma have this right. Can't really be done, I'm not a newby when it comes to Configuring multiscreen setups in DCS, I had just had never tried this particular setup. I was able to get everything where it needed to be, but had to set DCS for the full resolution of the 3 displays and that leaves the top screen black and to the foreground of anything you are running in windows (except aplications that can run on top of DCS, like hellios for example), so no good for discord of PDF readers etc. Other than that it can't be done by the usual coordinates you use on your monitor config LUA. When DCS is set to a bigger resolution that that of your main screen it will always start at your top and left most monitors, with no other setting to change it (wich was what I was asking about) I don't belive it can be done.

• 3 weeks later...

In windows I believe you just need to set your middle screen as your main monitor (the one that will populate a taskbar. DCS by default populates whatever is set as your main monitor.

Calwpower

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means!:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi,

Do you think DCS calculates 3 times (with 3 screens) the "world"? I think it can have a drop in FPS because of that.

And I said that because shadow on the left screen (screenshot) is bugged :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/349553308949544964/559891300183310336/Screen_190324_215520.png

As you can see, the shadows are completely shifted and do not move at the same speed as the rest of the scenery.

With nvidia surround or ati eyefinity, does this solve the problem with this?

If yes, it is possible to put a 45° (or whatever) angle on the left and right screens with these software?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Do you think DCS calculates 3 times (with 3 screens) the "world"? I think it can have a drop in FPS because of that.

And I said that because shadow on the left screen (screenshot) is bugged :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/349553308949544964/559891300183310336/Screen_190324_215520.png

As you can see, the shadows are completely shifted and do not move at the same speed as the rest of the scenery.

With nvidia surround or ati eyefinity, does this solve the problem with this?

If yes, it is possible to put a 45° (or whatever) angle on the left and right screens with these software?

Thanks a lot!

I can't answer the shadows problem.

I was told each viewport is a separate creation of graphics. I have a total of 4 screens and the more viewports I use the more the FPS drops, roughly in proportion to the number of screens. I stopped using surround because it is only useful for one viewport across all screens and I don;t do that because I hate the side-stretching.

You can still use Viewports with Surround, DCS assigns the parts of your total game resolution across the surround screen in accordance with the viewports you defined in the 'Monitor Setup' lua.

By the way your side screen image does not align with the centre screen - are they different resolutions? Have you defined the resolutions properly in your Monitor Setup lua?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Im add viewport as mentioned below, it works! Thanks!

UIMainView = primary

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = primary

LEFT_MFCD = secondary

F14_VDI = secondary

Viewports = {UIMainView}

Edited by BerryMORE

Не лазить руками туда, куда не лезет голова © USSR_Rik