Will ED include the Hornet "whisle" sound effect?

Kev2go

It occasionally seems to make this noise at certain angles. Sounds similar to the whistling noise the F104's are known to make during flybys.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Sounds more Like a groan than a whistle. Would be cool if it could make the sim. But that sound happening in the right circumstances is key. So if they can do the Mustang whine, they should be able to incorporate this one too. I have to ask because I dont know, is this common with the F18 or was there a ground hog stuck in the intake?

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

it's the Engine Howl for the engines being in idle with no interfering noise, as well as air temperature and frequency.

Discussed previously in another thread, don't remember what the conclusion was regarding being done for inflight/flyby sounds.

But it also occurs during startup, and that's already been demonstrated in the startup video published by Wags.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The sound has to do with the speed of inlet air being faster than the first stage of the compressor... kind of the opposite of a compressor stall, but a similar sound, because the compressor blades are not actually compressing (fully) in both cases. Basically, the sound you hear is turbulence over compressor blades. Wiki VGV (variable guide vanes) or take a look at "AgentJayZ" on youtube. He has some amazing videos that explain how they work (specifically on compressor stall).

TL;DR - Happens when the throttle is reduced dramatically at high speeds.

Edited by Banzaiib

The sound has to do with the speed of inlet air being faster than the first stage of the compressor... kind of the opposite of a compressor stall, but a similar sound, because the compressor blades are not actually compressing (fully) in both cases.

Hence Idle Passes..

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The sound has to do with the speed of inlet air being faster than the first stage of the compressor... kind of the opposite of a compressor stall, but a similar sound, because the compressor blades are not actually compressing (fully) in both cases. Basically, the sound you hear is turbulence over compressor blades. Wiki VGV (variable guide vanes) or take a look at "AgentJayZ" on youtube. He has some amazing videos that explain how they work (specifically on compressor stall).

I think it's to do with resonance in the intake, the intake is designed so that whatever speed the aircraft is travelling at it slows the air to .4-.5 Mach to present it at an acceptable speed to the compressor, any faster than this and it would lead to a surge or stall.

At certain speeds/engine RPM like in the Vulcan and other aircraft, as the engine's mass flow rate increases, the air is being forced down a narrower hole until it hit the divergent section at the speeds mentioned above. Imagine blowing over the top of a bottle, it has the same effect (a resonance).

The ViVGs are all about engine start up and up to certain engine RPMs to allow the compressor to operate as close to the blade stall margin as possible without causing them to stall. As far as I'm aware it does not have any bearing on the howl from the intakes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Hence Idle Passes..

Eh not exactly. I could see it being at a lower RPM but it sure doesn't sound idle.

Here is another video example and there would be no way they were idle:

Another possibility would be the way the air is hitting the turbines at a certain RPM. I'm sure it has many factors.

I was recently watching F-18 solo aerobatic show. Whistle sound was really the only thing you could hear while descending at idle power with gentle turns. The engines made so much noise while applying full power that it made some snow fall from roofs.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

The engine has more than three settings folks (AB, MIL and IDLE)..

A lot of aircraft will howl at just the right throttle setting and in certain conditions, like the F-15. F-15's will howl on approach similar to the Hornet. See below...this is fairly minor for an Eagle howl, I've heard it much, much louder.

You can also hear it at 2:06 in that video.

• 4 weeks later...