[REPORTED]Sling load is going crazy

Vulpes

Hello Huey pilots,

I'm happy that Argo Campaign misson 3 is working with todays Hotfix 3 for DCS2.5.

But I'm having trouble with my sling load. I'ts behaving like jet propelled. Even if I fly straight with auto pilot the sling load manages to swing above the height of the helicopter. I attached a track showing this.

This is the first time I'm being challenged with sling loads, I have never tried it in earlier DCS versions.

Please dont' judge my terrible flying skills, just the physics of the sling load...

Anybody else experiencing this? I don't think it's normal, is it?

Vulpes

Swinging load.zip

Anybody else experiencing this? I don't think it's normal, is it?

Vulpes

No, this is not normal. Here is a link to the yt-video from rge75 who had made similar experiences:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3399476&postcount=15

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't flown the Huey in ages -but I do know going too fast with a SL in the Hip means your load will start getting a mind of its own -as it surely would at too high a sspeed in RL?

I limit my load-carrying speed to under 150kmh (around 100mph) and have no trouble.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

• ED Team

Hi all

I have reported crazy sling loads to the Dev team

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
We need some of the real life cargo gurus to weigh in here.....

I've done sling loads in real life, but only the hook end lol ;)

I tend to keep my speed down when doing cargo lifts and listen to the crew hints

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I've done sling loads in real life, but only the hook end lol ;)

I tend to keep my speed down when doing cargo lifts and listen to the crew hints

That's interesting to know -BN do you know if there's a limit on speed with SL's?

I can't see a helo being able to go all-out when it has something dangling around underneath it on a rope... :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

• ED Team
That's interesting to know -BN do you know if there's a limit on speed with SL's?

I can't see a helo being able to go all-out when it has something dangling around underneath it on a rope... :pilotfly:

I wouldn't know without looking up,

My guess would be it depends on the helicopter the load and weather.

I have rigged small loads like nets and large loads like land rovers with trailers attached, I trained with Gazelles, and operationally worked lynx, puma, sea king, and chinook.

Always seemed like they were not hanging around when I was under them :)

I'm limited to 80 knots with a bucket on a 25 foot line on the huey. On a 150 foot long line it could be up to 100 knots depending on the weight and characteristics of the load. But it can vary wildly. I had a friend with an odd shaped load on a 50 foot line and he couldn't do better than 40 knots with a drogue on it.

i been trying out the sling load in general. you fly fast and erratically the load stays steady. you fly slow and steady and that annoying voice over starts. you load is swinging side to side Dah. i don't know what dah means or what perkee means. they should redo that voice its terrible

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Any updates on this - still seems to be an issue for me

It doable, on both Huey and Mi-8. Fly slow (try 80 knots, not working, than 60, or 40. You should be able to do it at 40), use your stick only to change pitch, keep roll neutral at all time. Use only pedals to change the direction. However, sling cargo physic in my opinion is still not even close to a real thing.

Edited by Lehmen

• 10 months later...

to stop a load from swinging you need to use the collective.

when the load is at the top of the swing decrease collective slightly.

when the load is under you increase collective again.

doing this a few times and the swinging will reduce.

listen to your engineer and feel for the swing in the cyclic.

the max weight for the sling hook is 4000lb.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

use your stick only to change pitch, keep roll neutral at all time. Use only pedals to change the direction. However, sling cargo physic in my opinion is still not even close to a real thing.

to stop a load from swinging you need to use the collective.

when the load is at the top of the swing decrease collective slightly.

when the load is under you increase collective again.

doing this a few times and the swinging will reduce.

Pedal turns only or collective to reduce swinging isnt anything like real life slign load flying.

Easiest way to reduce swinging is a normal coordinated turn, say 30 degree bank.

Also doable but possible to make it worse is to follow the swing with cyclic. Properly done it can reduce smaller swing without the need for a turn, but improper it will increase the swing.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• 2 months later...

On one day I even managed to get a UH-1H cargo with 1200 kg from the ground and return it to the ground in one piece. Works like a charm.

The other day sling load makes movements which is AGAINST ALL PHYSICS.

I used containers (not UH-1H cargo), they are the worst! Sometimes they appear as balloons, not containers.

Within 3 seconds a load of 240 kg swings from position (more or less) "steady" to about 50 m above and in front of my aircraft.

The system is not dependable guys, PLEASE LOOK INTO IT!

I have constant good behavior with the UH-1H cargo elements. They work pretty fine.

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1