Gazelle module FFB statement

Pat01

Hi Gents,

After several days spent to check users reports of ForceFeedBack issues we came to the following conclusion.

At start the Gazelle was not planned to work with ForceFeedBack devices.

At some point we decided to add some code to allow the use of ForceFeedBack in a basic way, this is the current state.

Making ForceFeedBack to work properly with the Gazelle would need us to rewrite a big part of the module which would take a lot of time.

We decided not to go this way and keep the ForceFeedBack use at its basic state so ForceFeedBack users can still fly the module even with ForceFeedBack uncomplete features.

Thanks for your understanding.

That's a shame.

Thank you for being frank with your assessment, it's better to set user expectations now, rather than later.

I'm enjoying your improved flight model and looking forward to what other changes are to come.

All the best, Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

... you're giving up support.

The Gazelle was Polychop's first module and FFB was never part of their original design (AFAIK none of the devs or testers owned a FFB stick). The devs purchased a FFB joystick specifically to add FFB support due to requests from the community after release, however it looks like a large part of the module (SAS ?) assumes a spring centred joystick and it'd require a lot of work to do it right.

The Gazelle's FFB is quite functional as long as the magnetic brake isn't used to offset the centre position (only today, I was practising aerobatics with the improved flight model).

While their decision is not ideal, it's better knowing what changes (or not) to expect and hope Polychop will design their next module to be fully FFB compatible.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

:mad:

Pat, could you elaborate a bit please where the difficulties are? My understanding - which might be wrong, ofc - is, that the Gazelle should not act any different if either FFB is enabled or no FFB is used. FFB should be "just" an other output(!!) device like any other.

The input side is the actual stick position - how the stick position was archieved (manual input or by FFB motors) should not matter at all.

Calculating which FFB forces are to be set and timing when they are to be set should be all that comes on top of the default, non-FFB Gazelle.

I am not saying that it is easy, but honestly I don't really get how this can be so complicated that you just drop such an important feature. :(

What about this...

Why not write a small stand alone gui/software that take input signals from DCS bios or something and sends to FFB stick? Maybe make option to create custom profiles and fine-tuning FFB effect for each module? Don't know if all this is possible, but there is sometimes talk about that FFB effects are not right for x module. With a software like this, the users will have total control over their FFB devices. Gametrix Jetseat style.

Just an idea. It will probably be more futureproof aswell.

...When/where was it stated that FFB was not intended to be added? Back when it was going to be freeware too? :mad: If I had known I would never have bought the module in the first place.

Very disappointing.

Given the complexity (or lack thereof) of the module you'd expect that for $50 it would be for the whole experience.

Except for FBW planes (for obvious reasons), none of my modules lack FFB support, even the planes where it hardly even matters, so it's terrible that it would be omitted for an airframe where it's very useful to have. The Gazelle was the bloody reason I sought and bought a FFB2 in the first place...

Edited by Sephyrius

Hi Gents,

I'm not sure I phrased correctly what I thought, regarding your reactions.

I try to keep it simple : We are not going to give up or remove the FFB. What I meant is I'm going to fix what already exists about FFB and then consider it done. Still an external view visual issue to fix.

All fixes about FFB will show in the next update.

Thanks.

...When/where was it stated that FFB was not intended to be added? Back when it was going to be freeware too? :mad: If I had known I would never have bought the module in the first place.

Very disappointing.

Given the complexity (or lack thereof) of the module you'd expect that for $50 it would be for the whole experience.

Except for FBW planes (for obvious reasons), none of my modules lack FFB support, even the planes where it hardly even matters, so it's terrible that it would be omitted for an airframe where it's very useful to have. The Gazelle was the bloody reason I sought and bought a FFB2 in the first place...

TBH there is scant feedback in the cyclic with hydraulic assist other then where your arse is pointing. :D

Just saying. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hi Gents,

I'm not sure I phrased correctly what I thought, regarding your reactions.

I try to keep it simple : We are not going to give up or remove the FFB. What I meant is I'm going to fix what already exists about FFB and then consider it done. Still an external view visual issue to fix.

All fixes about FFB will show in the next update.

Thanks.

Cheers for the clarification Pat.

Still dissappointing to hear, hopefully the next module will have FFB thought out from the start.

Is there not anything the FFB players might be able to do in order to help?

It strikes me that VR is getting more popular and FFB steering wheels are around plenty for racing sim enthusiasts

Does it not make more sense that the time is nigh for the ffb joystick to rise again and to continue developing FFB support rather than not?

There's plenty of folk around here who have not only bought your module but trawled e-bay and otherwise to buy the last bastion of ffb2 sticks with which to fly it with because of just how good it is. Both your helicopter and the experience of ffb in it and other modules.

Surely there's some stock in being that good? You have catalyzed many a player to experience ffb and the prospect of going back is horrifying, certainly a situation to take full advantage of and not shy away from don't you think?

Personally I'd say go big, check out community interest and look into some collaboration with VKB or Thrustmaster et al to bring a modern FFB stick to market and ride that wave of hype.

The passion and interest is certainly out there (even if some of it doesn't quite voice itself in a constructive way)

Most importantly you could call it The "Poly Chopstick" :joystick::lol:

Seriously though, folk will spend hundreds on a Warthog, but a new FFB stick? No contest, I know there's many others who would agree.

So, where's the kickstarter where we can fund you for continued FFB support? :P

Wasn’t there some king of patent issue that effectively killed FFB joysticks? It’s a pity because I loved my MS Sidewinder FFB Pro back in the late 90’s .

There was a problem with immersion being a patent squatting dredge on the technology however that expires in 2019 afaik

In any case, moves are still being made towards the tech oncemore, it's too good not too.

Never know, maybe someone from Iris Dynamics might be able to help out Pat?

Surely tis in their best interest to assist any developer with ffb implementation, especially one as valued to the community as yourselves and they are looking for partners :D

Or what about VKB? they're already collaborating with leatherneck to make an F-14 a stick for a specific module, where's the stock in having a stickbase especially for all rotorcraft that can also be used with everything else?

Aim for the sky, it's a flight sim after all :pilotfly:

Edited by Sadist_Cain

There are talks in the background done with a developer. Not sure if this could become a FFB. If so it would be even more pricy then the one we already provided info on to the dev. Which one it is ad whom we talked to in the past 4 months will not be spilled until the devices are finished for our own very first implementation.

There are talks in the background done with a developer. Not sure if this could become a FFB. If so it would be even more pricy then the one we already provided info on to the dev. Which one it is ad whom we talked to in the past 4 months will not be spilled until the devices are finished for our own very first implementation.

Well that is exciting news!

I'd certainly consider a Pricey investment in the resurgence of FFB through a base or whole stick set up, nothing quite like it for the helis and easily adapts for the jets with centering action.

Used to use mine as a gear shifter for Truck simulator also :P Great bits of kit.

All the best on these talks:joystick:

giphy.gif

P.S. You can have 'Poly Chopstick' It's solid gold I know ;)

• 5 months later...

Maybe it's not the right place for that. Since a few months, my beautiful SA342 gets strange yaw undesired mouvements especially in slow translation. Like the antitorque would not work properly suddenly. The other helicopters I have behave normally. Nothing to do with my excellent MFG Crosswind rudder pedals I guess.

Can you help?