F-4 Everything?

upyr1

Yea, USSR vs Blue for was at its peak around 70s or 80s . Think about it, Mig-23MLD, Mig-25PD , Mig-27 , Mig-31 and Mig-29As were in the sky in the 80s trying to shoot down F-16A(aim-9s only) ,F-18As(SARHS and winders) Same for the F-15C, only the Mig-31 and F-14 had ARHs . Its only after the the fall of the USSR when it became unbalanced for NATO vs Redfor. Also many of the systems of the time were more based on the skill of the pilot vs the skill of who can use a computer better. TLDR (again) It's better for balance and historically accurate

• Like 3

E Version and a carrier version would be great

Edited by ebabil
  • Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

3 hours ago, Bravelink03 said:

Yea, USSR vs Blue for was at its peak around 70s or 80s . Think about it, Mig-23MLD, Mig-25PD , Mig-27 , Mig-31 and Mig-29As were in the sky in the 80s trying to shoot down F-16A(aim-9s only) ,F-18As(SARHS and winders) Same for the F-15C, only the Mig-31 and F-14 had ARHs . Its only after the the fall of the USSR when it became unbalanced for NATO vs Redfor. Also many of the systems of the time were more based on the skill of the pilot vs the skill of who can use a computer better. TLDR (again) It's better for balance and historically accurate

Which is why the early 70s - late 80s is the perfect era for DCS in my opinion. Couple that with a period Germany map (preferably centred around the mid-80s) and we've got something perfect IMO.

For me its not so much balance, but rather things fighting the things they would've been at the time - the assets are contemporary.

As for the Phantom, for the F-4E I'd go for at least a Block 53 (which included AGM-65 capability, though they'll probably be like the Viggen with the A/B), as for naval J or even better, S.

• Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

At most we'd be seeing the F-4E, as it is the ONLY version that has seen so much combat with respect to our PRESENT maps that we already do have. This would only happen if any 3rd party developer does take up the F-4 series project...whichever versions. It is most certainly a combat rich iconic aircraft to just let it go as an afterthought...

I do not know about the Naval Phantoms as to how they fit in other than our hypothetical cold war settings from Caucasus map or some fictional ME war.

ED did say they have no plans of doing Vietnam map and as of present, it is not on their TO DO list. So...whichever carrier version we do get is fine, although, personally, I'd prefer the F-4 later carrier version other than B. Even still...anyone of those could be fine.

7 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

I do not know about the Naval Phantoms as to how they fit in other than our hypothetical cold war settings from Caucasus map or some fictional ME war.

On the contrary, doing some quick googling, VF-74 and VF-103 deployed to the Eastern Mediterranean to support the US mission in Lebanon, flying the F-4S, in 1982, on USS Forrestal. This notion that after Vietnam the Navy didn't deploy F-4s anywhere is odd at best, honestly. The Phantom saw tons of action post-Vietnam regardless of variant.

edit: also, in 1986 USS Midway deployed to the East China Sea (so in the ballpark of the upcoming Marianas map) with VFA-151, which flew F-4Ss. That would also fit upcoming DCS maps, and as far as I can tell, that was the last Navy Phantom deployment.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TLTeo said:

On the contrary, doing some quick googling, VF-74 and VF-103 deployed to the Eastern Mediterranean to support the US mission in Lebanon, flying the F-4S, in 1982, on USS Forrestal. This notion that after Vietnam the Navy didn't deploy F-4s anywhere is odd at best, honestly. The Phantom saw tons of action post-Vietnam regardless of variant.

edit: also, in 1986 USS Midway deployed to the East China Sea (so in the ballpark of the upcoming Marianas map) with VFA-151, which flew F-4Ss. That would also fit upcoming DCS maps, and as far as I can tell, that was the last Navy Phantom deployment.

What I meant was the active live combat experience...as in dropping bombs and combat etc in ME regions. Not the deployed part on the middle eastern theaters where the Naval variants mostly did was " overseeing and policing duties". They did not actively participate in those Israel-Lebanon wars. However the E version saw tons of combat and had many sales.

But yet...as said, hypothetical fictional duties can be made in ME maps.

I am not against Naval phantoms. I certainly would be delighted to see one included in DCS as a module.

Apparently the Iranian AF has some D's and E's since '68 until present, that's in the ME map. No idea if some were in combat or not, but I'd assume between the Iran Iraq War they might have had some clashes with those types. There was 220 Phantoms delivered, today only about 60 remain active/operational.