Damage model

NaCH

Shooting at the Viggen with IR missiles, hits, and all the time you see the payload falling and also the no wings Viggen flying and still shooting back.

Any chance to fix the damage model on this plane ?

Edited by NaCH

This is a common and consistent issue. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen one or both wings come off, stores fall loose, and as I turn away I receive a missile off the phantom wing for my troubles. I've also been on the giving end, blasting MiGs as they overshoot me despite losing most of my flight surfaces.

It's similar to the problems the MiG-21 had a year or two ago, where you could still fly and retained full control authority even if the entire wing was visibly gone, but in the 21's case you'd almost always lose the electrical system so your missiles couldn't be jettisoned (let alone fired). In the Viggen it's a somewhat more pressing problem, as it rarely loses the ability to continue firing no matter what state it's in.

To be fair this issue is multi-stage:

Viggen can fly and maneuver without one canard,

Viggen can fly and maneuver without one wing,

Viggen can fly and maneuver without both wings,

Skipping first instance, in second and third Viggen is still fully combat capable, i.e. it can continue maneuvering, accelerate to its top speed or launch missiles despite missing wings. Also fire of the burning wing does not affect the aircraft structure.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

same

as mentioned above, mig-21 had the same issue but they eventually fixed it. they said sometimes the graphical damage model became detached from the actual (physical) damage model, it manifested exactly the same as in the viggen.

just yesterday i got shot and lost one wing yet my viggen kept flying straight and fine (and with missiles hanging in the air). it looks really stupid.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

So to understand: the inconsistency is in the damage or how the damage is represented?

Because my way of thinking is like this:

I you receive a R3S in your tailpipe, at least you should loose part of your engine.

And final question is, does the damage model actually exist or just scripted in stages of damage.

- First hit you loose X

- Second hits disappear desintegrate.

• 3 weeks later...

I've now encountered a Viggen flying with no wings, no canards - I asked him if they were still visible on his screen to see if it was some kind of strange server desynch, but he said they were missing for him as well but that it didn't handle as bad as it looked. He was able to continue manoeuvring with me in a low-speed dogfight for several minutes before I bugged out with no ammo and low fuel, and his aircraft was handling in a manner that suggested it was virtually unaffected. He was a fuselage with a tail fin and two gouts of flame coming from where the wing roots used to be.

This has been an issue for quite a long time (I stupidly assumed it would've been reported long ago so didn't report it myself) but that was probably the worst case of it I've seen. It reminds me of problems the MiG-21 had in early 2018, where it would visibly be missing a lift or control surface but still exhibit normal or only slightly degraded flight performance.

For my own part I've been able to RTB and land while missing one or both canards, while missing the outer wing panels and canard on one side, and destroy overshooting aircraft with one wing gone - including missiles firing off the now-missing wing stations.

• 1 month later...

There is sometimes a desync in DCS between the visual damage model and that of the flight / system modelling, wherein the aircraft looks more damaged than it is. We will have a look at it and see if this can be improved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, in every instance where I saw this happen I would be surprised if the aircraft was less damaged than it looked - we're talking direct missile hits, bursts of cannonfire right down the wing, etc. Perhaps a desync between the actual FM/systems and the DM proper, rather than the visual model? It seems very similar to the issues the MiG-21 used to have with FM not being affected much or at all by evident severe damage (although systems were affected as you would expect).

I'll have to keep an eye out for the next time this happens and see if I can get you guys a trackfile, so far it's been several hours into a MP session. It seems to have been less consistent recently (I'm still seeing it, but it feels like it's less often), but it could also be from encountering less Viggens in the servers I frequent.

• 1 month later...

So I was wondering what is the status on this issue.

I had today another (its a common issue I see every flight vs the Viggen) damage model quirk. Managed to sneak behind Viggen and launched R-13M1 which detached his left wing and started smoke on him. Viggen disregarded that and proceeded to turn after another MiG-21, outturning him and launching a missile. In the meantime I put 1-2 rounds into Viggen fuselage, but that did not make Viggen abandon MiG. So I got behind Viggen again and launched R-60 into him which hit. He launched 2nd missile in the meantime. Finally I put some more rounds and he lost right wing:

QfXJgw.thumb.png.c41203ca2cfa8768b8bef58a58eb1f1a.png

RrS6m7.thumb.png.f72d650bce8a469fc3a47f6515aebbb8.png

At this point he decided that its time to go home. And he flew back (you can see his smoke trail to the right of the center). Not sure if he made it since Tacview looses tracking ability after first missile hit:

uRR2as.thumb.png.8a21286d1d2e129f42043dfe43bc440c.png

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 2 months later...

Any progress here? I've come across examples of this issue in videos nearly 2 years old, IMO it's the biggest problem the module has currently and I'd like to see it fixed so I can go back to enjoying it rather than swearing at it when I'm on the other team...

• 5 months later...

It's been a very annoying issue for quite a while now. I'd hate to remove the Viggen from my missions but there's got to be some progress going on, gents.

Godspeed, Heatblur!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

Seems the recent adjustments haven't solved the issue yet, during the course of a MP session earlier in the week I lost a canard and wing on the same side and the aircraft was still controllable with virtually unchanged control response, the only noticeable difference was a bit of a roll tendency. I only noticed the damage because I glanced at the mirror and noticed a gout of flame and physically saw the wing fall off. On a separate sortie I lost both canards, the most noticeable consequence of which was that when I tried to dump speed by slipping the plane in towards the runway, it abruptly tried to flip onto its back, so I had to recover and go around.

Hard to say if the problem has become less frequent or stayed the same as I haven't encountered as many Viggens while flying my MiG, but while flying the Viggen myself it seems about the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rossmum said:

Seems the recent adjustments haven't solved the issue yet, during...

I'm pretty sure we do not have those adjustments yet. The other fixes in that patch are not yet "out", so I'm fairly sure that's the case.

Soon

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Hello Rosmun^^

Like i said on the " Viggen road map" topic, in the F14 room, you can ask a question, report a bug, Dev's answer your reports/ questions in minutes/ hours

"Here".....you have to wait and see..."a major update"

It's really a pity cause the Viggen is one of the most polish EA module and HB dev's have a kind behavior to answer to all question about the Cat...and since numerous updates, exept cosmetics, no major update for the Viggen...

Edited by Spirale

2 hours ago, rossmum said:

The DM alteration was mentioned in the notes for the patch 4 weeks ago, if I recall correctly. Surely they'd be in by now.

You would think so, but that's not the case.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

• 1 month later...

It is a shame, issues here and there. I can wait for the Eurofighter and would like to have the Viggen more polished.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 1:23 PM, Spirale said:

Hello Rosmun^^

Like i said on the " Viggen road map" topic, in the F14 room, you can ask a question, report a bug, Dev's answer your reports/ questions in minutes/ hours

"Here".....you have to wait and see..."a major update"

It's really a pity cause the Viggen is one of the most polish EA module and HB dev's have a kind behavior to answer to all question about the Cat...and since numerous updates, exept cosmetics, no major update for the Viggen...

Our apologies again, Spirale, we will try to do better in the future!

we will see how much we can/ want/ must improve damage related issues in the Viggen.

I tracked the particular issue above for us to re-investigate.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thx a lot Mike for your kind answer, i am an old Viggen Lover and i appreciate the way you manage to understand our wishes 😀

I wish to have the radio system complete and programmable, a complete radar too (if the radar is abale to detect objects on sea surface, i suspect it's capable to detect tanks on the grass/ sand). Maybe am i wrong?

Edited by Spirale