TGP Laser occasionally won't lase

Oldfox

Hi pilots,

Had an Enemy Within campaign mission yesterday, and at some point when pressing the directional nose wheel button the "L" of the laser status in TGP screen wouldn't flash anymore. Tried laser arm off/on switching with no luck.

Then later it would just work again for no apparent reason (I tried to go in TGP stdby/ground multiple times).

Did not use it much at all before it stopped working so not sure it could be a temperature protection issue....

Anyone ever had this kind of behaviour?

Thanks

That's hard to tell without more information or a track file.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Indeed, a track or video would be the preferred option so we can at least see what's going on.

However, the laser won't fire if there's a risk of it intersecting with any part of the plane, including external stores. IRL there are different masking profiles depending on the loadout, but in DCS I believe we only have one such masking profile, so even if the pylons next to the TGP are clear and the TGP has an unobstructed LOS with the target, it's still possible that the masking profile prevents the laser from firing.

If it happens again, you could try another angle to test whether or not the problem is related to masking.

If that doesn't seem to be the issue, please upload a track or a video.

What Yurgon said can also happen if your FLAPS switch is no in the UP position.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

You burnt it man hahaha, when the laser overheats it takes some time to cool down and start working properly :D

It does work again after cooldown? That's good to know, because I thought it can't be used anymore once burned out.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Pretty sure I did not use it in latched mode, nor used it a lot... Could it be too hot just being not used but just switched to "armed" for too long?

No, putting it to armed doesn't fire it and hence shouldn't cause any heat.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Like to use the laser just to correctly point a mark on the ground with correct distance ranging.

Is that actually simulated in DCS?

Tornado3 small.jpg

To some extent it is. For example if you mark a target roof without laser ranging the actual point saved is the ground behind the target, whereas with laser on, it actually saves coordinates of the target roof.

If you are marking the roof of a target from pretty long range/low altitude this can make 10 meter difference or even more.

Alright, I haven't thought about lasing targets on top of 3D objects like buildings. That makes sense :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yesterday I was flying a liberation mission and upon GBU12 release, a warning pop up in MFCD " TGP AUTO LASE FAIL", once I was at the mountains I though it was related with my altitude, about 4k AGL. Climb to 8K AGL same thing happened.

Trying to figure out what was the problem

Yesterday I was flying a liberation mission and upon GBU12 release, a warning pop up in MFCD " TGP AUTO LASE FAIL", once I was at the mountains I though it was related with my altitude, about 4k AGL. Climb to 8K AGL same thing happened.

Maybe flaps not retracted? Because that can cause this error.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Maybe you have an Auto Lase time set that’s too long for your intended release altitude?

4K AGL is very low and 8K is still kinda low.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Maybe you have an Auto Lase time set that’s too long for your intended release altitude?

4K AGL is very low and 8K is still kinda low.

Good point. That's indeed a very low altitude for LGBs. I'm not sure though if that can trigger an AUTO LASE FAIL, as it just starts lasing from the moment the bomb gets released IIRC.

Tornado3 small.jpg