Eurofighter Typhoon Facts and Myths FAQ

Spectre11

The Eurofighter has the means to deliver unguided munitions with the typical CCIP or CCRP modes. I don't know how well it works with Paveways, but it's an option if you don't want to lase your targets.

In a sim you don't need to care for the cost difference of the bombs.

Yeah the good old EF2000 still runs well with Relpaded and doesn't look to bad woth hires, accelerated and Track IR support. Still a great game even a quarter century after its release.

Maybe they'll program the avionics in such a way that it'll be easy to mod in such weapons (or they'll be included even though they aren't cleared).

I'll admit to some EF2000 sentimentality... :D I'm not sure I'll be 100% satisfied if there isn't some 8bit techno playing and a Norway map... ;) Still though, it'll be nice to have the plane again.

Enhanced Paveway II, EGBU-16/GBU-48 and Paveway IV have been integrated which are all dual-mode bombs with INS/GPS+laser seeker. JDAM is planned for different customers and for SDB there is a requirement but no contract yet.

Nothing to add there ;)

• Like 1

-TITS-

Lead SME Eurofighter Typhoon

TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At SRP 5.1 the delivery of LGBs was possible with third party designation, but this capability was not really exploited operationally

I think the RAF made use of this in the early phase of Operation Ellamy. They flew strikes with 2-ship flights, consisting of one Tornado and one Typhoon, where the Tornado would provide target designation for the Typhoon's LGBs.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think the RAF made use of this in the early phase of Operation Ellamy. They flew strikes with 2-ship flights, consisting of one Tornado and one Typhoon, where the Tornado would provide target designation for the Typhoon's LGBs.

Correct!

-TITS-

Lead SME Eurofighter Typhoon

TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure whether it were T2 or T1. The RAF faced the problem that it had to re-train their pilots to become proficient in AG back then, as they focussed on AA after the Tiffies were not dend to Afghanistan in 2008 which wad the primary reason for rushing out SRP 4.2 then. The main reason for the initial pairing of torandos and Typhoons was the the crews of the Tornado had plenty of operational expierence. But it might be correct that SRP 5.1 was prtially used at the beginning.

That brought back some memories, thanks @Spectre11.

I left the project at the end of Tranche 1.

The Development jets had CRT MHDDs and were heavy as hell, I remember when the nice new screens were delivered and we couldn't give any of the CRT assets away, all the Development Teams wanted the LCDs.

I think DA2 only ever flew with 2 Displays anyway, probably additional instrumentation in its place.

Is there any German specific information you can share as there wasn't much on the differences across the nations.

Also are there any public sources on the PD version of CAPTOR? SOme capabilities, I can only find marketing on CAPTOR-E (CAESAR)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Is there any German specific information you can share as there wasn't much on the differences across the nations.

Also are there any public sources on the PD version of CAPTOR? SOme capabilities, I can only find marketing on CAPTOR-E (CAESAR)

It effectively depends on the standards we are talking about. That German aircraft lack PIRATE and the laser warners is common knowledge, as is the use of IRIS-T compared to the ASRAAM used by tHe RAF and RAFO. The Germans didn't add the wiring to use the LDP on their Tranche 1 A/C and have thus far not adopted any of the "Drops" on their T1 A/C. The only AG weapon German T2/3 aircraft use at the current P1E standard is the GBU-48. There have been some national modifications as there are on other nations' aircraft, but the scope of enhancement the RAF has driven is unmatched by anyone thus far. Often those national modifications are eventually fed into the four national development stream and through mutual support agreements there is also an exchange of information and developments. The perhaps most notable addition based on national development is the integration of the RecceLite ARP, but this one has been nationally integrated by others as well. This has been publicly communicatwd, but is less well known. Hope that's enough of a start.

• 1 month later...
It effectively depends on the standards we are talking about. That German aircraft lack PIRATE and the laser warners is common knowledge, as is the use of IRIS-T compared to the ASRAAM used by tHe RAF and RAFO. The Germans didn't add the wiring to use the LDP on their Tranche 1 A/C and have thus far not adopted any of the "Drops" on their T1 A/C. The only AG weapon German T2/3 aircraft use at the current P1E standard is the GBU-48. There have been some national modifications as there are on other nations' aircraft, but the scope of enhancement the RAF has driven is unmatched by anyone thus far. Often those national modifications are eventually fed into the four national development stream and through mutual support agreements there is also an exchange of information and developments. The perhaps most notable addition based on national development is the integration of the RecceLite ARP, but this one has been nationally integrated by others as well. This has been publicly communicatwd, but is less well known. Hope that's enough of a start.

That's it.

The stated exchange of information is not very good though, so I don't expect a lot of benefits on the GAF Typhoons from the very good british progress on capabilities.

Not much open info on CAPTOR. We call it E-SCAN in germany. That's all I am allowed to say...

Development is very much separat though. The UK left the orginial program and developed their own version.

HW is quite similar, more or less, as far as I now. We wont get that, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 3 weeks later...

Tr.1 has 'austere A2G' from the UK SRP 4.2, which became 4-nations stadard 4.3 but not really employed. UK used this over MENA but only from a 'better than nothing' perspective. From SRP 10 you have P1Ea upgrade, which starts the A2G ball rolling.

The Bl.8 / SRP 5 apparently had the Saudis cross as it deleted the 4.3 A2G capability, hence the rush to Bl.8B / 5.1 so it could be reinsated. But frankly, until you are at SRP 10 - or better 12 - it remains something of a 1-trick pony.

@ Spectre, Nice overview! :thumbup:

My understanding was that the Drops were as follows:

Drop 1: Developed for RAF Tranche 1 Block 5 aircraft as SRP 4.2, allowing use of Litening / Paveway in 2011 Libyan campaign. Subsequently available to all Tranche 1 users as SRP 4.3

Drop 2:

Co-developed with UK and GAF; offered improvement to comms, offensive and defensive systems and commonality of sustainment software

Drop 3:

Retrospective upgrade for Bl. 5 Tr.1 based on useable capability from SRP 10 / P1EA. Wa suppsoed to be jointly funde,d but I susspect that may have died a quiet death

Tr.1 has 'austere A2G' from the UK SRP 4.2, which became 4-nations stadard 4.3 but not really employed. UK used this over MENA but only from a 'better than nothing' perspective. From SRP 10 you have P1Ea upgrade, which starts the A2G ball rolling.

The Bl.8 / SRP 5 apparently had the Saudis cross as it deleted the 4.3 A2G capability, hence the rush to Bl.8B / 5.1 so it could be reinsated. But frankly, until you are at SRP 10 - or better 12 - it remains something of a 1-trick pony.

@ Spectre, Nice overview! :thumbup:

My understanding was that the Drops were as follows:

Drop 1: Developed for RAF Tranche 1 Block 5 aircraft as SRP 4.2, allowing use of Litening / Paveway in 2011 Libyan campaign. Subsequently available to all Tranche 1 users as SRP 4.3

Drop 2:

Co-developed with UK and GAF; offered improvement to comms, offensive and defensive systems and commonality of sustainment software

Drop 3:

Retrospective upgrade for Bl. 5 Tr.1 based on useable capability from SRP 10 / P1EA. Wa suppsoed to be jointly funde,d but I susspect that may have died a quiet death

Thanks for the feedback.

Drop 1 was based on SRP 4.3 anf was not adopted by other nations than the UK. I know that Italy was interested, whether they got it through a mutual support agreement isn't known to me.

Drop 3 as well as Drop 4 were both developed in a quadrinational approach, but managed by the nations rather than Eurofighter. Drop 3 was eventually internationalised by EF GmbH as T1EP1 and has thus far been introduced by the UK, IT and AUT. The operational state of Drop 4 is unknown to me. It was tested and it might have been introduced by the RAF as another SMA.

I'm not sure whether it were T2 or T1. The RAF faced the problem that it had to re-train their pilots to become proficient in AG back then, as they focussed on AA after the Tiffies were not dend to Afghanistan in 2008 which wad the primary reason for rushing out SRP 4.2 then. The main reason for the initial pairing of torandos and Typhoons was the the crews of the Tornado had plenty of operational expierence. But it might be correct that SRP 5.1 was prtially used at the beginning.

As my namesake said the pilots all came back to the UK, for some simulator sessions to re-qualify in the use of the LDP. The mixed 2 ship flights continued for a long time but the Typhoon had it's own LDP after about week 2. The main reason for the mixed formations was the Typhoons 1000lb bomb was great for the middle of the desert but lacked subtlety when collateral damage was a concern and that was when the Tornados smaller PGMs were better suited. Latterly the Typhoon flew the majority of the missions near the end as it's dispatch rate was much better than the aged Tornado. Also, Spectre, they were T1 Blk 5 aircraft that went out, I spent a whole weekend getting them ready!

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 6 months later...