Suggestion for an early introduction [Early access]

falcon_120

I don't mind Early Access if it is updated in a steady pace and with clear and transparent timeline for each item. If you own any DCS Early Access product you know this has not happened before.

Seems like perception differs here, because IMHO the EA of the Hornet and the Viper is making constant progress on a steady pace (the frequence of patches doesn't equal amount of work, as some items like AG radar need more work than others) and both have a clear and transparent timeline (feature complete by the end of this year). For both modules it was clearly communicated what features will be available at EA launch and what features will come later during EA.

I don't see an issue here, but maybe that is because I'm a software developer myself and might have a better understanding of how software development works than some other users here :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Seems like perception differs here, because IMHO the EA of the Hornet and the Viper is making constant progress on a steady pace (the frequence of patches doesn't equal amount of work, as some items like AG radar need more work than others) and both have a clear and transparent timeline (feature complete by the end of this year). For both modules it was clearly communicated what features will be available at EA launch and what features will come later during EA.

I don't see an issue here, but maybe that is because I'm a software developer myself and might have a better understanding of how software development works than some other users here :dunno:

You have to understand, most people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

I took the red pill a long time ago.... maybe you are not ready yet ;)

It seems like you don't understand EA...

EA is optional! I don't know how often I'm supposed to repeat this until you understand it? If I get the EA I want, then you are not forced to participate in EA. You can still just wait for the actual release. You don't loose anything...

But why do you want to deny other users their EA experience? What are you loosing? Are you just jealous that others play already while you don't?

'lach'

Yes. Exactly that is it ... Now you have caught me ... I am so jealous of everyone else who gamble a not finished module months before ... (By the way: I have bought the modules F / A-18 & F-16. You definitely do not need to explain to me what EA means, I have been here for a few years now. I am well aware of that.) But if that is your requirement 'Give us a module no matter what level of development it has . The main thing is that I can play it ASAP 'sorry ... I can only shake my head. I mean, in the end TrueGrid will do what you think is right. We can bash here until we fall over.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

'lach'

Yes. Exactly that is it ... Now you have caught me ... I am so jealous of everyone else who gamble a not finished module months before ...

I guess so, as you refuse to provide any other reason why EA is bad, considering that you don't have to join into EA for a module that offers it and instead just wait untill its actual release the same way you can with a module that doesn't offer EA. I still fail to see what disadvantage EA would bring to you? :dunno:

I mean, in the end TrueGrid will do what you think is right. We can bash here until we fall over.

Indeed. I'm just trying to understand why you want to deny other users something that they are interested in.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well all the discussion is moot in the end. People have different opinions and that's ok. I personally have no problem with EA, when it's managed properly. TrueGrit is another team than others and EA isn't necessarily the same everywhere either. If you chaps had read what's being said and possibly listened to the interview with Gero you would have noticed that:

1.) They are aiming for an aircraft that is stable and not full of bugs on release.

2.) They are currently not even thinking about developing another aircraft module for the time being. They are totally dedicated to the Typhoon, i.e. they won't cease working on it because another module is in the pipeline.

3.) They made it clear that they want to add new capabilities over time, which as I read it means to evolve the Typhoon, i.e. bringing in enhanced capabilities, not feasible for the initial release. This doesn't mean EA though. They might well develop different iterations of the Typhoon or simply evolve it as the real aircraft does evolve, albeit not exactly replicating its evolution.

Of course much can change in due time, but that's the state of affairs they have communicated at this point.

Edited by Spectre11
Nasty spelling

I got to know recently that ED has a checklist third developers must meet to get their product to any release stage.

This checklist has also been updated after the F-16 early access release status.

So guided by the checklist, we should be getting a good early access eurofighter if early access is decided upon by Truegrit. Good if it is HB Tomcat type release.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Oooh cool, a topic telling the developers what to do, Love it. What about a thread telling customers how to spend their money? Oh wait we have those too, and they are also ignored :(

There's just no point in these threads. When they choose to release it in whatever state they want, then you can purchase and give feedback. If you want to wait for others feedback, then guess what, no one denied you the opportunity to wait. I've found that I can join the EA train and be involved and I can also choose to wait and both work out great! I do this with the products I want to feedback on and the ones I don't. I don't understand why people want to enforce their own wills on others by effectively denying any form of EA on another person by saying, "Release only when done". That's like saying, "I am unable to choose to wait myself, I will feel compelled to buy it and try to play it because I don't have a brain and I am an automaton." Quite embarrassing really. Nearly as embarrassing as begging to be involved in the early inside testing, which is what the OP boils down to when you cut away the fluff.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Oooh cool, a topic telling the developers what to do, Love it. What about a thread telling customers how to spend their money? Oh wait we have those too, and they are also ignored :(

There is a point in fostering the discussion and there is the joy of the discussion itself where you see very valids and different PoVs. This is a discussion forum right? :)

I think mostly feature complete is a better route. Like the JF-17 or Tomcat.

Early Access + Study Sim has disaster written all over it. Trying to figure out what is implemented or not (or if it is a bug), people growing tired of the module before it gets feature complete etc.

For regular games yes, for study simming it quickly turns into a mess for both devs and players.

Not to mention the dev team going "Whew!! It's finally out!" and making a little dough for the first time, then having no major motivation to hunker down and finish it. The last 15-25% of the module's features (radar, nav, etc) take 3 times as long to complete--if ever.

It's like fixing a leaky radiator in your car with that Stop-Leak stuff you pour into the coolant. Ever done that? Yeah, it dribbles a little still, and it might be getting worse every few months. No big deal, just top it off every 6 months or so. But it gets you to work, so good enough :)

Still, a Typhoon for DCS would be mighty cool :D

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

That's how you feel about it and that's why Early Access is optional. No one forces you to participate in EA.

Actually, anyone who plays MP is also forced to put up with the bugs and problems the super EA modules put into the sim, such as the Hornet messing up everyone's datalink for months or the SC code (the module of which hasn't even released yet) breaking the free Stennis to the point most MP missions have removed it entirely.

Don't pretend it's entirely an individual issue, because it's not. The state modules release in affects everybody. This community isn't that big or that segmented.

Jf-17 is not released. People on stable still can't play it.

Very true, but that's on ED not Deka. The JF-17 is 100% ready for stable and has been for months.

I think mostly feature complete is a better route. Like the JF-17 or Tomcat.

Early Access + Study Sim has disaster written all over it. Trying to figure out what is implemented or not (or if it is a bug), people growing tired of the module before it gets feature complete etc.

For regular games yes, for study simming it quickly turns into a mess for both devs and players.

100% agreed, and well-put. I want to study an aircraft, not a dev's practices and their roadmap.