The M-2000C HSI explained

Zeus67

So..how would one do a TACAN mode Y with a friend who is also with T/R on mode Y. How would i set up to see bearing distance to them?

As said before you will only get distance between two peer Mirages. If you look on this page http://www.e-haf.org/PublicFTP/320/UPLOAD_FOLDER/Charts/VOR%20Frequencies%20to%20TACAN%20Channel%20list.pdf you can find which channels where the RX and TX frequencies line up with the other channel's TX and RX.

In short it's 63 channels (each channel being 1 MHz) apart. The "A/A" mode may or may not be necessary depending on the band (or not). A/A should invert the X-band frequency shift so that peer to peer is possible while Y-band is already aligned for that. I think A/A does something else like allowing unsolicited response so it can act as the ground station for another airplane. I don't know exactly what A/A does besides change around what frequencies are used (I've seen a frequency table and the A/A entries are different than the normal ones). Mirage-Mirage I would try AA TR first and TR second. None of the receive-only modes will work buddy-buddy for yardstick.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Very useful, thanks.

May i ask an additional question:

I think this is moste usefull for a Runway lineup. Am i right that i dial in the Degrees as shown on the Kneemap? How would be the execution (F.E. Kobuleti)?

http://gamewiki.eu/images/7/7e/Kobuleti-visual-op-dcs.png

radio the tower, he would give ma a RWY, lets say its RWY 25. I then dial in a Theta of the heading as shown on the kneeboard for this RWY which is 244°.

How much nm should the Rho be set fo this kind of manouvers? 5 NM? Or better 7?

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

It looks like visual points are 3nm from station. The TACAN-offset for point "INITIAL 25" would be a theta 064 distance 3nm. It's worth double checking but that's magnetic which is what we want. A lot of directions in DCS are true.

The entry points EAST or NORTH-EAST are probably best identified from the TACAN directly requiring a fast knob change between that and the initial point.

The whole procedure is a visual one and very compact which doesn't suggest using instruments much at all. Almost certainly you wouldn't bother with this instrument for this procedure. Instead you would look out the window.

Realistically if I was going to approach from far away entry EAST to INITIAL 25 I would get on the 089 TACAN radial pretty far out and just wait to DME 7.7 then 298 to intercept the runway visually. If the 089 was unrealistic to ride in straight-ish I would miss the field and follow a DME10 arc minimum until I could go inbound.

But setting an offset 10-15-20nm along the final path from the TACAN for a more instrument-y approach is a fine use. Being able to navigate direct to a point on the final path is a nice luxury. The mechanical manipulations and concepts are the same, the distances are just larger.

radio the tower, he would give ma a RWY, lets say its RWY 25. I then dial in a Theta of the heading as shown on the kneeboard for this RWY which is 244°.

No.

The map is a good help to understand. Draw the imaginary point you want to make as VAD on it.

Now: From the TCN station of Kobuleti, in what direction do you go to arrive at this imaginary point? Will you get there if you depart Kobuleti on a 244° heading?

I fear you won't.

Remember: the VAD is drawn "from" the TACAN, because the TACAN beacon is the "only" valide reference point when you draw the VAD.

How much nm should the Rho be set fo this kind of manouvers? 5 NM? Or better 7?

Fast jet. Slow pilot (usually) (it's still the case for me sometimes and I'm not a beginner anymore since a long time).

So yeah, 7NM seems a minimum in IMC. Don't be afraid to double that distance for starters. :)

Regards,

Az'

spacer.png