Newbie Questions

SAABoy

Hi all, a few weeks ago I played Ace Combat 7, rewatched Top Gun, and then stumbled upon the heatblur f14 release video on youtube without knowing DCS existed. I've since watched a lot of growling sidewinder's youtube videos and jumped in pretty deep by acquiring trackIR 5, x52 pro HOTAS, and now wondering what module I should buy since there's a sale. I've stumbled through the free p-51 and su-25t training missions and I've got a few questions despite trying to search through the forum:

1) Is the p-51 a clicky pit but the su-25t isn't?

2) How does buying a DCS module, for example the a-10 that i'm considering buying, fit into the DCS world? Is it a separate executable? Or is it simply unlocking the a-10 in DCS world? Could I fly the a-10 in any online server that allows it or only in some a-10 missions that come with the purchase?

3) What modules should I buy on sale?

4) Why should I buy from ED directly instead of through steam? Steam is convenient and sale prices seem to be on there too.

5) Is there a newbie-friendly resource on how to map HOTAS according to these guides? I understand that 3 modes means 3x the map-able buttons but wouldn't I still have to map them in-game? How does the game know I've switched modes on my HOTAS?

6) What else should I know?

Please let me know if there's a better place to post of find these answers. Thank you for your time.

(2) aircraft are in the form of separately-downloaded modules . Can fly any aircraft in any server that allows it .

(3) ( Absent an expressed preference for aa or ag) you can't go wrong with the Hornet , as it can do it all . Easy to fly because fbw , systems are intuitive . However , best advice is to get the aircraft that most appeals to you .

(4) because more of the money goes to ED , supporting further development .

(5) you can assign any switch on your hotas to be a modifier (mode) in the DCS control setup . To use the hotas mode button , you would have to program the hotas in ssd-not recommended for newbies .

(6) Welcome to the forums , and have fun !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'll echo what Svsmokey has said, and add a bit of info on my own:

2: No separate EXE, the aircraft will be unlocked inside the sim. You can fly whatever aircraft you have online as long as the mission loaded on the server you're joining has a tasking for it.

3: Define what you want to do in terms of role on the battlefield, then choose aircraft from that. As to what modules you should buy on sale: hard to say without more info. I usually choose aircraft/modules based on what I want to do. For example, the Mi-8 Hip holds little to no interest for me, so it'll be an item I get when and if it comes onto sale for a price I'm willing to pay.

4: Easier to take it directly from ED, better access to the Open Beta-versions etc. Sure, Steam is a wonderful platform, and I've been using it for the better part of 15 years, but I'll keep my DCS World-purchases off it.

6: Other things to know? Well, just that everything is subject to change, and everything will be released in Two Weeks™ :P

Other than that? Welcome to the boards, have fun, and never be afraid to ask questions. Also remember that DCS IS a study-level sim, which means that it's about as close to the real thing as you can possibly get on a civilian version of a desktop flightsim.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

You may also want to dip your toes in first with one of the Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft, first. The learning curve can be very steep in DCS. It took me about three or four goes to get the F-14 airborne, simply because it took me awhile to understand the systems, and while I was able to land it (ground runway) on the first go, I had a number of the systems configured wrong, so the only reason I got down without crashing was because I've got years of flight sim flying experience and could keep it under control in the skid.

I still had a blast, but that's what you'll need to be aware of going into the study level ones.

The FC3 aircraft have the same flight models, but with much simplified systems, so you can spend you time learning how to fly high performance jets, before you dive into the systems side of things.

The FC3 planes are also cheaper so you can get the whole set and try all of them out to see what lights your candle.

If you are new to flight sims, I'd seriously recommend starting with the Flaming Cliffs 3 bundle and trying all of them out to see what you like most. Even if you aren't new, FC3 represents a wide range of flexibility for your flying for the price, and can still work well with the study aircraft of you decide to go that route.

Plus, the F-15C is currently only available in FC3 grade...

Addendum: The TF-51 is a clickpit, and the Su-25 Frogfoot is not. The Su-25 is a Flaming Cliffs 3 grade aircraft, while the TF-51 is a full DCS study build, just with WWII era systems.

The FC3 aircraft generally have limited clickable cockpit controls.

Edited by Voyager
Autocorrect for the win...

Seeing as you're starting fresh I'd almost recommend getting a trainer first and learn how to fly. Learn to read cockpit gauges, take off, land, learn how to fly an airfield pattern.

Be a pilot first and then learn the combat systems.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

This. DCS is way more than combat, and unless you can fly, navigate and operate the systems properly, you'll be dead long before you ever see what or who killed you.

My advice would be to get the module that most interest you, and then spend time learning how to fly it, navigate in it, operate it and only then fight in it. Do the training-missions, view tutorials, study the manuals and procedures, and spend the time and effort to get to know other people that fly as well, who can help you learn.

DCS World is fun in singleplayer, but flying with and against others is where the real fun starts.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Regarding to #6: Practice. Then read. A lot!~ Then practice again. And again. Read some more. :D

In other words: be patient. Very patient. It takes time to be a pilot. I've gotten into DCS since Aug. '18, and still when I see (or read what they explain) the more experienced pilots, I barely scratched the surface. :)

Regarding which aircraft. Personally I started with the F/A-18C, it's modern, it's early access which means the learning curve is less steep because not every system and/or weapon is available yet.

And, buy a helo. Just because they are immensely fun to fly. :joystick:

Oh, and if you really want to fly, go VR. There are some potentially interesting new headsets about to be released.

Welcome! Enjoy!

Hi everyone, thank you for the replies. I've purchased FC3 so I'll start on training and missions in there :) I was planning on buying 1 helo and 1 jet also but it seems the 4/28 sale cutoff was somewhere ahead of USA times; I'll ask ED if they'll give me the sale price anyway.

(2) aircraft are in the form of separately-downloaded modules . Can fly any aircraft in any server that allows it .

(3) ( Absent an expressed preference for aa or ag) you can't go wrong with the Hornet , as it can do it all . Easy to fly because fbw , systems are intuitive . However , best advice is to get the aircraft that most appeals to you .

(4) because more of the money goes to ED , supporting further development .

(5) you can assign any switch on your hotas to be a modifier (mode) in the DCS control setup . To use the hotas mode button , you would have to program the hotas in ssd-not recommended for newbies .

(6) Welcome to the forums , and have fun !

3) fbw?

4) that was my assumption but do we know that for sure? Either way I uninstalled from steam and installed stand-alone and purchased FC3.

5) program the hotas in SSD? i've installed the game on my SSD, and probably the hotas s/w on the SSD too.

6) thanks!

I'll echo what Svsmokey has said, and add a bit of info on my own:

2: No separate EXE, the aircraft will be unlocked inside the sim. You can fly whatever aircraft you have online as long as the mission loaded on the server you're joining has a tasking for it.

3: Define what you want to do in terms of role on the battlefield, then choose aircraft from that. As to what modules you should buy on sale: hard to say without more info. I usually choose aircraft/modules based on what I want to do. For example, the Mi-8 Hip holds little to no interest for me, so it'll be an item I get when and if it comes onto sale for a price I'm willing to pay.

4: Easier to take it directly from ED, better access to the Open Beta-versions etc. Sure, Steam is a wonderful platform, and I've been using it for the better part of 15 years, but I'll keep my DCS World-purchases off it.

6: Other things to know? Well, just that everything is subject to change, and everything will be released in Two Weeks™ :P

Other than that? Welcome to the boards, have fun, and never be afraid to ask questions. Also remember that DCS IS a study-level sim, which means that it's about as close to the real thing as you can possibly get on a civilian version of a desktop flightsim.

Thank you :)

You may also want to dip your toes in first with one of the Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft, first. The learning curve can be very steep in DCS. It took me about three or four goes to get the F-14 airborne, simply because it took me awhile to understand the systems, and while I was able to land it (ground runway) on the first go, I had a number of the systems configured wrong, so the only reason I got down without crashing was because I've got years of flight sim flying experience and could keep it under control in the skid.

I still had a blast, but that's what you'll need to be aware of going into the study level ones.

The FC3 aircraft have the same flight models, but with much simplified systems, so you can spend you time learning how to fly high performance jets, before you dive into the systems side of things.

The FC3 planes are also cheaper so you can get the whole set and try all of them out to see what lights your candle.

If you are new to flight sims, I'd seriously recommend starting with the Flaming Cliffs 3 bundle and trying all of them out to see what you like most. Even if you aren't new, FC3 represents a wide range of flexibility for your flying for the price, and can still work well with the study aircraft of you decide to go that route.

Plus, the F-15C is currently only available in FC3 grade...

Thank you, bought FC3 on sale :)

Addendum: The TF-51 is a clickpit, and the Su-25 Frogfoot is not. The Su-25 is a Flaming Cliffs 3 grade aircraft, while the TF-51 is a full DCS study build, just with WWII era systems.

The FC3 aircraft generally have limited clickable cockpit controls.

That clears things up for me.

Seeing as you're starting fresh I'd almost recommend getting a trainer first and learn how to fly. Learn to read cockpit gauges, take off, land, learn how to fly an airfield pattern.

Got it. Bought FC3 on sale for now.

This. DCS is way more than combat, and unless you can fly, navigate and operate the systems properly, you'll be dead long before you ever see what or who killed you.

My advice would be to get the module that most interest you, and then spend time learning how to fly it, navigate in it, operate it and only then fight in it. Do the training-missions, view tutorials, study the manuals and procedures, and spend the time and effort to get to know other people that fly as well, who can help you learn.

DCS World is fun in singleplayer, but flying with and against others is where the real fun starts.

Thanks!

Regarding to #6: Practice. Then read. A lot!~ Then practice again. And again. Read some more. :D

In other words: be patient. Very patient. It takes time to be a pilot. I've gotten into DCS since Aug. '18, and still when I see (or read what they explain) the more experienced pilots, I barely scratched the surface. :)

Regarding which aircraft. Personally I started with the F/A-18C, it's modern, it's early access which means the learning curve is less steep because not every system and/or weapon is available yet.

And, buy a helo. Just because they are immensely fun to fly. :joystick:

Oh, and if you really want to fly, go VR. There are some potentially interesting new headsets about to be released.

Welcome! Enjoy!

I may have missed the sale window but if not then, in addition to FC3, I will buy a helo (probably the little bird or huey) and a jet (either A10 or the SAAB).

What headsets are you keeping an eye out for? I just bought a liquid cooled Vega 64 GPU that will be bottlenecked by the rest of my PC build so I may or may not be able to pull off a good VR anyway.

3) fbw?

5) program the hotas in SSD? i've installed the game on my SSD, and probably the hotas s/w on the SSD too.

3) fly-by-wire

5) apologies , that was meant to read SST , which , if memory serves , is the Saitek programming software .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2