Minimum Visible distance for Carrier Landings

MrReynolds

Hi all.

I've done a quick search and can't quickly find the answer.

Just what IS the official minimum visibility for carrier landings?

I've got it down to .27 nm on a REALLY foggy/cloudy night landing. Just wondering if that's TOO harsh ;-) (good challenge though)!

Older video from a few weeks ago when I was learning - here the Ball's about .35.

https://youtu.be/gRkmtrrKckY

Considering Hornet is capable of automatic carrier landing, there might not even be visibility restrictions.

It's a good point but also a good question by the OP

Perhaps we should be asking ourselves (assuming there is no restrictions with ACLS) what is the visibility minima with ACLS inop

Edited by raelias
typo

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

No visibility restrictions, there are 'minimums' but you have to recover your aircraft no matter the case and no matter the weather. No divert field in the middle of the Pacific.

With that being said the ACLS just does what a pilot is supposed to do during a Case III operation. Fly the needles.

At CVW-11 our Case III training involves 0/0 conditions at times, pretty much mimicks the picture above.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven