Which is easier to master the F18 or F16?

joebloggs

Does anyone know which Aircraft is easier to pick up? I like the chucks guides and I learned a lot about the A10C from them. However when I looked at his guide for starting up the F18 there was a list of about 67 things to do :shocking:

I then watched the Wags guide to starting the F18 though and they made it look easy to start it, so it's left me a bit unsure how complicated the F18 really is to startup and fly?

I've looked at the F16 Viper and to me that looks more complicated to start up, but out of the F18 and F16, which aircraft would you guys says is the most difficult to master overall? I did pick up a lot about the A10C, but that was a while ago now and I want to get back into DCS with a fighter aircraft now. Cheers!

Edited by joebloggs

Both will be at the same level eventually. F/A-18C is in a more complete stage and F-16C was just released.

I do not see much of a difference for the start up. Different planes, different procedures, but complexity wise pretty much the same.

If you want a more complete and less buggy plane go for the FA-18. It has much more to learn because the Viper needs patience at this moment and will take time to reach the same level of the Hornet.

Good luck,

Sydy

The Viper is much easier to start than the Hornet (though they're both very simple) - three switches (battery, JFS 2, throttle to idle) and you can start rolling. That'll change when they both get INS alignment working / as a necessary step, but one engine and less screens makes the Viper a lot quicker!

In terms of which to learn - right now the Viper is super bare bones with lots of stuff either missing functionality or half-implemented and likely to change. So if you want to get in at the ground floor and learn as stuff gets added, then it'd be better for that - but if I were you I'd get the Hornet, there are a lot more complete systems in the Hornet and you don't have to sit and wait to get some mission critical systems (e.g. IFF, waypoint entry).

The F-18 is easier as it has much less bugs, dont focus just on the start-up.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Does anyone know which Aircraft is easier to pick up?

The F-16C isn't ready for general use as it's missing way to many features, it's suitable for DCS fans who already have most of the modules (so have a fallback aircraft) or F-16C enthusiasts who want early access to the module and to watch/explore it as it grows.

That's not to say the Hornet is perfect either - I'm currently waiting for TWS to be added and some of it's other systems to become more polished in their implementation before buying a second copy.

I like the chucks guides and I learned a lot about the A10C from them. However when I looked at his guide for starting up the F18 there was a list of about 67 things to do :shocking:

The Hornet is a multi-role aircraft and has lots of weapons/systems but you'll still learn them one at a time.

I then watched the Wags guide to starting the F18 though and they made it look easy to start it, so it's left me a bit unsure how complicated the F18 really is to startup and fly?

The F/A-18C is relatively easy to start.

I've looked at the F16 Viper and to me that looks more complicated to start up,

The F-16C startup includes a lot of system checks - most of those can be ignored, doing so makes the F-16C startup even easier than the F/A-18.

out of the F18 and F16, which aircraft would you guys says is the most difficult to master overall?

The F/A-18C is the harder aircraft to master as it has many more weapons systems to choose from/learn and is more feature complete.

I did pick up a lot of what the A10C, but that was a while ago now and I want to get back into DCS with a fighter aircraft now. Cheers!

Neither the F/A-18C or F-16C feel as complex or as complete as the A-10C.

I like the F-16C's flight model but IMHO the module is too incomplete (at this time) to be considered for use as a primary/sole module.

IMHO your choices are too buy the F/A-18C Hornet today or wait for the F-16C to be more complete (Mavricks, IFF, TWS, data link, etc. etc.).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Probably under the the heading of "Which one is better the girlfriend or the wife...."

Both have their strong points and weakness. Comes down to which one you love the most.

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

Appreciate all the replies -Cheers! I think I'll go with the F18 since I already own it. I thought it would be a lot more difficult then the A10C, which I seemed to pick up after a few months. It's good to know it won't be as complicated as that aircraft. I found the CDU input in the A10C quite difficult at times.

I also found the Hornet considerably easier to pick up than the A-10, if you're used to the Warthog already you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Agreed, I have hundreds of hours on the A10C and still learning stuff.........I have probably 60hrs in on the F18 so far and capable of probably 95% of the things it can do already......much easier to pick up and learn and retain, this is in part because some of the features are not implemented yet either tho I guess, ground radar, slaving SPI's, and other important deeper level stuff ? :pilotfly:

The F-18's UFC is vastly more intuitive than the F-16's DED, and the MFDs are also pretty easy to handle, although as CW Lemoine pointed out, you have to take your hands of the HOTAS a lot more often in the F-18. MacD nailed it in the bug and strike eagle.

I like some things in F16, some things in F18 and some things in A10. Combined it would be the best ui.

A-10 FMC/CDU is really nice, but UFC is too complicated.

A-10 DSMS page is great. In F18 and F-16, stores, and sms pages are too complicated.

A-10 TGP - HOTAS iterface is kinda native, while in F18 is like an aftermarket solution.

A-10 and F-16 display pages are controlled with hotas, in F-18 not.

F-18 has great acm control, but I do not like how in A/A mode, pages defaults to stores + radar.

A-10, F-16 and F-15 have RWR mounted high on the panel. In F-18 it's down behind knee.

A-10 doesn't have RWR on HUD or DDI. It has limited D/L capability as well, but it can share SPI, while F-18 cannot. Don't know for F-16.

F-18 and A-10 has whole cockpit visible form central position. In F-16 and Harrier, medial ddi buttons are obscured by UFC. That's not good for non TrackIR users.

F-18 and F-16 has comms integrated into computer. A-10 has separate radios.

F-18 hsi is kinda non standard. F-16 and A-10 have standard hsi.

F-16 has the best HUD, F-18 offers bigger font with less formations.

F-18 has best autopilot with coupling capability and AT. A-10 autopilot is just stabilization. I don't know for F-16.

A-10 has best CMS system with separate panel.

Yup there is no perfect plane. Perfection would be a fighter that had the best configurations of all 3 worlds :)

As for the complaint with the rwr being too low to see in f18 due to being below the knee. That's not supposed to be your main rwr display.

The reason they are high up on f16 and a10 is because that is the primary ( and only) rwr indicator. In the f18 It should be treated as nothing more than a backup display for redundancy purposes as with the few analog instruments next to it, because it was intended as such.

The f18 rwr is more digitally integrated with other systems. due to this not only can you display rwr indication via other means but you are supposed to , by using 1 of the 3 multipurpose displays to see rwr via ew page, or you choose rwr via HUD. Additionally SA page displays rwr contacts so that yet another a 3rd option. So there is no need to use the rwr scope display that's located on the lower right below your knee, when you have so many alternative ways to view it.

In fact the actual f18 rwr scope display is so redundant that its removed in the super hornet, along with some export legacy hornet users removing it in theirs.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

As has already been stated, the F-16 is very barebones right now while the Hornet is in a more advanced state of development. They have their positives and negatives. Both are easy to start if you ignore the test procedures. If you're interested in a module to take into a combat MP server than I'd go with the F/A-18C hands-down as the F-16 doesn't even have a damage model yet.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

To add to the above. If you want good stand-off strike platform, the fully developed Hornet will have JSOW, Harpoon, AGM-84E SLAM and the H/K SLAM-ER in its arsenal. The F-16 will only get the JSOW.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I like some things in F16, some things in F18 and some things in A10. Combined it would be the best ui.

A-10 FMC/CDU is really nice, but UFC is too complicated.

A-10 DSMS page is great. In F18 and F-16, stores, and sms pages are too complicated.

A-10 TGP - HOTAS iterface is kinda native, while in F18 is like an aftermarket solution.

A-10 and F-16 display pages are controlled with hotas, in F-18 not.

F-18 has great acm control, but I do not like how in A/A mode, pages defaults to stores + radar.

A-10, F-16 and F-15 have RWR mounted high on the panel. In F-18 it's down behind knee.

A-10 doesn't have RWR on HUD or DDI. It has limited D/L capability as well, but it can share SPI, while F-18 cannot. Don't know for F-16.

F-18 and A-10 has whole cockpit visible form central position. In F-16 and Harrier, medial ddi buttons are obscured by UFC. That's not good for non TrackIR users.

F-18 and F-16 has comms integrated into computer. A-10 has separate radios.

F-18 hsi is kinda non standard. F-16 and A-10 have standard hsi.

F-16 has the best HUD, F-18 offers bigger font with less formations.

F-18 has best autopilot with coupling capability and AT. A-10 autopilot is just stabilization. I don't know for F-16.

A-10 has best CMS system with separate panel.

You gotta toss in the harrier too ;)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was late to discover ED and the A-10c, because I thought serious flight sims were no longer being produced. The A-10c is great but I will bet I have only mastered 40% of the sim after two years. I got in on the original release of the F-18 and have learned it as the updates came out. I would say I am 80% in terms of mastery. It has been really useful to learn it as others did and offered their critiques and suggestions. I just got the F-16 and it is pretty incomplete, but you can still start to learn the basics along with the rest of us. That is a good learning environment. I would still get both, I love the F-18, and the F-16 is a favorite from the old Falcon 4.0 days.

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

IMHO the viper is easier to operate. It is not about the development state but simply the design.

It is like difference between Harrier and A-10C that how do you get a TGP/TPOD on target. With harrier it is mainly either a moving TPOD cursor in HUD on wanted position by placing your flight path marker there and lock it in ground, use laser spot marker or then slaving it to waypoint. But with A-10C you can slave it to waypoint, use pointer in HUD to get it there, input coordinates etc.

The similar is with viper and hornet. Like with viper you can move radar cursor up/down the radar screen and get range go up/down. Move cursor to right or left to quickly get 30 degree on right or left side from the 60 degree scan. With hornet you move cursor on the labels and press designate to access small pop-up list of option or press OSB buttons.

Of course that is possible those things comes to viper too, but there are these small things that makes something just more "easier" by making it faster.

Like as well how in viper TGP follows the CCIP so you see easily on screen what you are really targeting. While in Harrier the ARBS follows only the flight path marker instead CCIP or CCRP point.

In viper you can easily see around what you are attacking or defending against. But with hornet you can easily see behind you because mirrors and see effect of bombs or see the enemy position at your rear without turning head.

With hornet you do easy landings as you withstand more forces, while viper has "legs made from glass".

Viper is easier to operate because its UFC, but hornet has nicer datalink possibilities.

Not sure about does viper have same automatic recovery system as hornet does after stall/spin, but that is like flying the heavily computerized system that requires you to release control to computer by literally taking your hands of from HOTAS.

I would say that more problems comes if you try to fly all different aircrafts by switching between them constantly. Instead fly one for like 2 weeks and then swap to other.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Does anyone know which Aircraft is easier to pick up? I like the chucks guides and I learned a lot about the A10C from them. However when I looked at his guide for starting up the F18 there was a list of about 67 things to do :shocking:

I've looked at the F16 Viper and to me that looks more complicated to start up, but out of the F18 and F16, which aircraft would you guys says is the most difficult to master overall? I did pick up a lot about the A10C, but that was a while ago now and I want to get back into DCS with a fighter aircraft now. Cheers!

I use Chuck's guides combined with Kneeboard Builder, and have been learning all the aspects of the Hornet. I was intimidated by the startup procedure at first but once memory kicks in on where the required switches are it really is not that complex and can be done relatively quickly.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|