DIY P-51D style grip for HOTAS Cougar

PeterP

:music_whistling:Seems that some have too much time... :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=62163&stc=1&d=1328116201

BTW: editing this picture took more time than building this Stick!:megalol:

I have also writen a small AHK script that sends a single "space-key down" when I hit the button.

So I only have to clear all other button assignments out of DCS to prevent any conflicts.

(I'm curious if this electrical wiring will work for the warthog too...)

When will DCS Flying Legend: P-51D released?! -I'm ready!

Lets hope it has nice FFB! :)

Update!

I solved the riddle how to attach two buttons at one bus!smile.gif

So I was able to add the gun-trigger:

This is how it's done:

attachment.php?attachmentid=62591&stc=1&d=1328955771

The AHK script that make this possible:

Guns.ahk:

This scripts fires "space" when a button is held longer than 80ms down.

4Joy1:: 

SetKeyDelay, 0, 10, Play
sleep 80

While GetKeyState("4Joy1","P") 
{
Sendevent {space down}
}
Sendevent {space up}                                                                                                                                              

Bomb.ahk:

this script fires "RAlt+Space" when a signal that is shorter than 70ms was detected and than pauses for a half second.

4Joy7:: 

SetKeyDelay, 0, 10, Play

KeyWait, 4Joy7
If (A_TimeSinceThisHotkey < 70)
Loop 1 
{
Sendevent {RAlt downs}{space down}{space up}{RAlt up}
}
sleep 500

Limitations are that I can obviously not use both buttons at the same time -

And between each "bomb" command have to be 0,5 seconds time.

-so the slider can't fire "bomb" twice in one cycle and I have enough time to release the bomb switch safely without to fear to release accidental a second bomb/rocket.

I think this is no problem for my purpose.

P-51D_Stick.thumb.JPG.6ac51531d0ed97d4060ab4bd6e10af50.JPG

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

That's Awesome! But you still need a Gun trigger - top button is for Bomb/rocket release

Nate

Yes - I know.:)

(if I would be able to add two buttons I would have named this thread "DIY P-51D Replica grip for HOTAS Cougar" :D )

But it is not possible to wire up a second button at the cougar-board without the circuit board that is inside the cougar grip.

Without this circuit board its not possible to control a individual button. It's all or nothing!

So I have to do some creative scripting with Autohotkey: I think to add a double-click command (within 300miliseconds) to trigger the Bomb/rocket release.

or something like this:

holding longer than 300milliseconds = Gun

shorter than 300milliseconds = Rockets/Bomb

Edited by PeterP

Awesome Peter... Awesome, the only one able to to a new grip for Cougar system.

Your hose adaptation maybe an inspiration for others !!!

I hope a company can be able to adapt a russian style joy for the cougar.

As for the FFB "engine" of which stick did you bother it ? This is extremely interesting for Prop and choppers especially if you have an on off button for them so you can choose FFB on or off without prejudice in stick quality.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Thanks Succellus,

But keep in mind that this mod only allows me to use all buttons at once - this can be very limiting... ;)

And I don't think that this is a solution for the masses... unless you are also a lunatic like I am.

And when you want to use more buttons on a swap-able stick you will defiantly have to use a circuit board like the one that is inside the cougar grip!

(This picture is from a Warthog stick - but the ininside the Cougar is also a circuit board )

SimpitJan2010016-800.jpg

But I have done a AHK script that let me send two different commands with this button.

AHK scripts:

Rapid "guns" after 200ms holding down :

1Joy1:: 

sleep 200
SetKeyDelay, 30

While GetKeyState("1Joy1","P") 
{
Sendevent guns 
}
return 

"bomb" when button is released within 180ms

1Joy2:: 

KeyWait, 1Joy2
If (A_TimeSinceThisHotkey < 180)
sendevent bomb

return

And this is working very accurate - similar like you use the double-click at you mouse.

And I think I will have no problem with this stick in DCS: P51D - even if the Gun command will have a delay of 200ms.

And I got the inspiration to use such a adapters from this thread: My warthog extender - and hog_driver111th gave me the final confirmation what will fit >>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1302540#post1302540

As for the FFB "engine" of which stick did you bother it ? This is extremely interesting for Prop and choppers especially if you have an on off button for them so you can choose FFB on or off without prejudice in stick quality.
>>>Two MS FFB2 with Cougar Grip
Edited by PeterP

Originally Posted by Nate--IRL-- viewpost.gif

That's Awesome! But you still need a Gun trigger - top button is for Bomb/rocket release

Yes - I know.:)

(if I would be able to add two buttons I would have named this thread "DIY P-51D Replica grip for HOTAS Cougar" :D )

But it is not possible to wire up a second button at the cougar-board without the circuit board that is inside the cougar grip.

Just curiosity, P-51 grip need 3 button, since trigger has two positions.

p51trigger.jpg

;)

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks! :)

...but please calm down - It's only a tube with a single button.... !- :D

nothing more-nothing less!

- I posted this only because I believe that there are also such crazy guys like me out there - so they can use this as reference and stop searching for a wiring method to hook up more than one button to a Cougar base.

(there is simply no way to do this without the circuit-board inside the stick!)

Edited by PeterP

Hi Nate - would you be so kind to tell me which keys are assigned to Guns and Rocket/Bomb- and if there is a delay/restriction in the Bomb trigger ?- means do I have to hold it down for X ms to release Bombs/Rockets ?

I'm asking because I think I found a robust solution to attach two different Buttons at the stick that will really work independent from each other (even if they will be wired to the same bus ) ... and I would like to test this under "real conditions" at the weekend.

(I have already ebayed a nice gun-trigger that will arrive tomorrow...)

Just curiosity, P-51 grip need 3 button, since trigger has two positions.

p51trigger.jpg

wink.gif

Sokol1

Haha... I think I have a old super 8 camera somewhere in the cellar - should be easy to connect the wires for the record button of this cam and wire them to the gun trigger - so it will take some footage of my screen while I push this button...;)

Edited by PeterP

PeterP,

Recently, Krupi in SimHQ plan to use Warthog as "WWII" stick, in case using a KG-13B grip replica, that handle four buttons.

Since Warthog base dont boot without grip plugged in then, the soluction adopted is use a small USB board inside grip to handle these buttons, without connection in Warthog base - used to handle X and Y axis - acting as another controller.

Some people argue that with this solution lost ability to programn buttons with TARGET, but this is no problem, to program four buttons JoyToKey/Autohotkey/SVMapper is adequated - since the use is in WWII sim's.

Tensy: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

Related topic: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3498339/1.html

Sokol1_Br

Edited by Sokol1_br

I'm watching this tread also Sokol.;)

(...I'm still scratching my head about his question how to wire 8pins to a 5-pin connector :D;)...)

In this special project (P51=needs only two buttons) I just want to use the cougar board.

And also because there is simply no room left in the Grip to bring in a USB-controller board.

But when I getting my hands on a Cobra,

then I want to wire a ordinary USB extension

(USB = 5 wires) to this 5pin Din connector of the cougar.

So I can simply swap between the cougar grip - or "whatever" - only by re-plugging a DIN connector and swapping the stick - as long the grip has enough room for a controller-board.

I tough already about this possibility while building the FFB base and have made a male/female connector to the cougar-board inside - so I will have no need to rewire something inside when I want to swap a Grip.

Some people argue that with this solution lost ability to program buttons with TARGET, but this is no problem, to program four buttons JoyToKey/Autohotkey/SVMapper is adequate - since the use is in WWII sim's.
I switched right now to autohotkey only - with AHK is much more advanced scripting possible that with Foxy and/or target! - and I don't have to think about brand or conflicts of programming software...

I can program 7 controllers at once with just one singel AHK.skript file... - and I can also compile it as a *exe - so I don't have to worry at all! :D

Edited by PeterP

or check out viper pit and cougar world to see if there are any post about the grip wiring and boards

http://www.viperpits.org

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

I solved the riddle how to attach two buttons at one bus!:)

So I was able to add the gun-trigger:

This is how it's done:

attachment.php?attachmentid=62591&stc=1&d=1328955771

The AHK script that make this possible:

Guns.ahk:

This scripts fires "space" when a button is held longer than 80ms down.

4Joy1:: 

SetKeyDelay, 0, 10, Play
sleep 80

While GetKeyState("4Joy1","P") 
{
Sendevent {space down}
}
Sendevent {space up}                                                                                                                                            

Bomb.ahk:

this script fires "RAlt+Space" when a signal that is shorter than 70ms was detected and than pauses for a half second.

4Joy7:: 

SetKeyDelay, 0, 10, Play

KeyWait, 4Joy7
If (A_TimeSinceThisHotkey < 70)
Loop 1 
{
Sendevent {RAlt downs}{space down}{space up}{RAlt up}
}
sleep 500

Limitations are that I can obviously not use both buttons at the same time -

And between each "bomb" command have to be 0,5 seconds time.

-so the slider can't fire "bomb" twice in one cycle and I have enough time to release the bomb switch safely without to fear to release accidental a second bomb/rocket.

I think this is no problem for my purpose.

bomb-smal1.thumb.JPG.b13a1860a0c82c8e94b02e45c51e3f15.JPG

Edited by PeterP

• 5 months later...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Like 2

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I don't have this problem :) !

whoever thanks me in a thread for a answer/annotation - whatever :

Gets a rep+ from me...

I (almost) always can rep everyone that I want - because I also spread it it to others.

:)

(you both will notice this when you look in your Control panel)

Edit:

before (I) we derail this thread - go this way: You cannot give rep to this post ?

Edited by PeterP