Revisiting the Dora

Weegie

So it's been ages since I tried this module and after the Anton I decided to give the Dora a try again

Is it just me or has anything changed?

First my turn needle isn't working and the Horizon fails miserably too.

I always remembered it floated but going back after the Anton, it seems the only way to get around 210-220 at the threshold, which is what I usually aim for, is to sideslip it in. It seems when you drop to idle you need to fly a long way wings level for a VERY long time to lose energy. Turn however and it bleeds energy at a staggering rate

Clean takeoffs and landings are, however, as difficult as I remember :joystick:

Probably just because I've been away from it. I do wish they'd fix the Horizon and Turn indicator, it's hard enough when it's working.

Am I missing something?

So it's been ages since I tried this module and after the Anton I decided to give the Dora a try again

Is it just me or has anything changed?

First my turn needle isn't working and the Horizon fails miserably too.

I always remembered it floated but going back after the Anton, it seems the only way to get around 210-220 at the threshold, which is what I usually aim for, is to sideslip it in. It seems when you drop to idle you need to fly a long way wings level for a VERY long time to lose energy. Turn however and it bleeds energy at a staggering rate

Clean takeoffs and landings are, however, as difficult as I remember :joystick:

Probably just because I've been away from it. I do wish they'd fix the Horizon and Turn indicator, it's hard enough when it's working.

Am I missing something?

You're right. Something has changed on the Dora since the second to last update. I've been flying it the most out of all the WW2 planes for years and now I find that taking off is more of a pain than before, flight is more difficult, and landing properly is far worse than before.

I used to be real good with the Dora taking off and landing perfectly (better than I do in the P-5 1 or the 109) now it's my worst plane.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Probably due to the fact that you can now drift across the runway without even tipping over. There was a huge discussion about this and some videos which demostrate that behaviour.

Can you give a link to that discussion? I'd love to read it.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

Kelpie

Your experiences are exactly as mine, looking at old notes I used to trim slightly tail heavy at takeoff now almost full nose heavy.

I used to be good with Takeoff and Landing too now on takeoff as the nose comes up it seems to swing one way and correcting leaves you swinging the other. Landings I seem to drift a lot worse than before

To be fair the Cockpit looks much better and I think the sounds have improved too

Landing has been kicking my butt real bad this past week or so since I decided to hop back in it after a while. I thought maybe I was just out of practice and had some bad habits sticking with me, but perhaps that's not the whole story after all? Taking off has been a bit of a pain but doable, then again I wasn't really that great at consistently getting a pretty takeoff run so I welcome any takeoff that leaves me flying at the end of it. I have low standards there.

Maneuvering in the air seems to be the same as I remember it. A complete pain in the butt and extremely temperamental. Not sure if it's worse now than before.

I'm flying the Dora almost exclusively for the last 3 months and didn't notice any changes.

Haven't noticed any problems during take-off or landings.

It's been a long time since I flew it (9 months or longer), it could be imagination and just getting used to the way it doesn't seem to slow down.

It always was the most difficult of the warbirds to take off and land in IMHO

Anyway can you confirm if the turn indicator and horizon are bugged or it it just mine that's not working?

It's been a long time since I flew it (9 months or longer), it could be imagination and just getting used to the way it doesn't seem to slow down.

It always was the most difficult of the warbirds to take off and land in IMHO

Anyway can you confirm if the turn indicator and horizon are bugged or it it just mine that's not working?

you need to uncage it.

if not onsly slip indicator will work

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Noticed the non-functioning turn indicator.

Interestingly: While trimming the elevator, the turn indicator shows some life. Stopping the trimming stops the turn indicator. Very strange.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

If you reset the horizon is it still "not working"? It's pretty usual artificial horizon drifts after taxi, but it's working if you reset it before take-off until some more or less harsh manoeuvre drifts it again and then it can be again reset. Is reset working?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

If you reset the horizon is it still "not working"? It's pretty usual artificial horizon drifts after taxi, but it's working if you reset it before take-off until some more or less harsh manoeuvre drifts it again and then it can be again reset. Is reset working?

S!

Do you mean setting it back to Caged then releasing to Uncaged again?

Yes I tried that and although it resets the position it still doesn't work

Obviously something is throwing it outta whack but I cannot think what

The only things I'm running are Target Gui and Voice Attack. I'll try disabling them one at a time to see if that makes any difference

Thanks for the suggestion, your input is much appreciated

• 1 month later...

Guys, the problems with turn indicator and artificial horizon are "REPORTED". See threads under "Bugs and Problems"

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

You're right. Something has changed on the Dora since the second to last update. I've been flying it the most out of all the WW2 planes for years and now I find that taking off is more of a pain than before, flight is more difficult, and landing properly is far worse than before.

I used to be real good with the Dora taking off and landing perfectly (better than I do in the P-5 1 or the 109) now it's my worst plane.

I had to test it after reading your "report". Probably year or so when i last flew it. Anyhow, i found it absolutely same as before. Very easy to take-off and land, delighful to fly. I honestly didn't noticed any changes in FM.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]