G suit detail

Squiffy

Hi gang,

I found this looking at aircraft.lua files trying to tweak FMs. Can someone explain the g suit entry and how it is measured?

crew_members =

{

[1] =

{

ejection_seat_name = "pilot_f86_seat",

drop_canopy_name = "f-86f-canopy",

pilot_name = "pilot_f86",

drop_parachute_name = "pilot_f86_parachute",

pos = {1.7, 0.5 , 0},

canopy_pos = {1.607000 ,1.181,0},

canopy_ejection_dir = {-1.0,0.2,0},

g_suit = 0.7,

}, -- end of [1]

}, -- end of crew_members

crew_members =

{

[1] =

{

ejection_seat_name = "pilot_mig15_seat",

drop_canopy_name = "MiG_15bis-fonar",

pilot_name = "pilot_mig15",

pos = {1.771, 0.856,0},

g_suit = 0.35,

drop_parachute_name = "pilot_mig15_parachute",

}, -- end of [1]

}, -- end of crew_members

My first impression is, it should be 1.00 vs. 0.00 for has g suit vs. no g suit. Am I right? Even if it is "onset" 0.7 vs 0.35 is exactly %50. What is that supposed to mean? Maybe it's just graphics? max g is the same in both ships with no regard to g suit. So is takeoff speed, which I find odd.

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Maybe it's g suit effect or assistance? So 0.7 could be increased for the Sabre and 0.35 decreased for the MiG.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Since g_suit is not a boolean value (always either 1/true or 0/false) as you said, my guess is the way it's coded in DCS is

1) g_suit = 0 equals no increase to g resistance on top of some unspecified, basic value

2) g_suit = 0.35 might be a slight help to g resistance (say, because a trained fighter pilot knows techniques that improve g tolerance without the need of a suit)

3) g_suit = 0.7 might be a combination of the above techniques and a (primitive?) g suit

4) g_suit = 1.0 might be improved g tolerance for whatever reason.

Actually it may be worth looking into the Mig-19 files since supposedly the pilot in that module currently does not black out.

Hey that's great! Thanks. I'll look into it but I have to watch the eye strain. Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh... my... God!... What the heck is this?

crew_members =

{

[1] =

{

ejection_seat_name = "mig19p_pilot_seat",

drop_canopy_name = "mig19p_canopy",

pilot_name = "pilot_mig15",

drop_parachute_name = "pilot_mig15_parachute",

pos = {3,756, 0.391, 0.0}, -- {2.112, -0.369, 0},

g_suit = 2, -- % G suit efectivity: 0.0 to 1.0 (1.0 == modern g-suits)

},

},

I mean really? You spelled it out in plain English right there in the note? How can it possibly be 2?? Haha, I MUST have missed something. But maybe not. I just watched a track of a 2 v 4 Sabre Mig 15 dogfight and one Mig was pulling 5 plus gs while I tried to get a bead on him. At least he wasn't shooting at me. From now on, my Sabre gets 1.0 to 2.0 g-suit. ;) I would buy the MiG-19 but now I am not so sure. This was the Beta update AI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good move. I looked at the SFM for all three. I think we can tweak the roll rates and some of the AOA figures in there but I need to unpack them a bit more. I can ask my bro who's an aerospace engineer for NASA/Lockheed Martin. (Orbital Systems) We built an electric RC trainer together. Rebuilt the firewall after my classic control reversal maiden crash. Then he built a KitFox with his buddy from LM, we test flew it together (2nd flight). 4 cylinder turbo. Now he is building a KitWolf(?), a 4 seater, with his wife. The wing was in the basement a year ago with clickos in place :D

1059276460_KitFoxtestflight.thumb.jpg.4acdb32b289e50b253a156c612fad3b5.jpg

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]