Unguided bombs ?

I'm thinking about which Russian / Soviet helicopter I'll buy. Since I've heard the Ka 50 is very automated and I'll be investing in a set of rudder pedals soon which I want to make good use of, I'm only considering the Mi8. And with the upcoming Syrian map in mind:music_whistling:, I have a questions: Can the Mi8 carry unguided and/or improvised bombs ?

Edited by davidtsw

I don't know what you mean by improvised bombs but yes, the Mi8 can carry FAB100 and FAB250. Dropping them and actually hitting something is a bit of an art though. Don't expect any fancy CCIP. This is not an aircraft for gameboy pilots.

The bomb sight is not and will not be implemented so you need to use the gun sight or any other visual reference associated to a speed and a altitude to drop the bombs.

The method described in the manual does not work very well actually. So you will need a bit of practice before you can hit something.

Dropping bombs from the Mi-8 is one of my favorite activities in DCS Wold!

Load up with six times FAB-250 - set release switch to single - overfly your targets and release with 1-2 seconds spacing... It doesnt take tha tmuch practive untill you start hitting your targets on a regular basis.

I personlly blew up TWO friends in Hueys, while they were trying to land on the Stennis in bad weather

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

in a campaign (border i guess) there was a bombing mission. i blew myself 2 times in that mission because i didin't pay attention my own altitude. and it is very hard and almost useless execpt fun factor

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

We just worked on this a couple training sessions ago and experimented with various techniques. We each found our own formula.

My technique is to fly 200M/200khm straight over the target while in the right seat. When the target disappears into the dashboard I time it so that I release bombs when it is approximately located where my attitude indicator is.

In terms of expectations, you should be able to reliably hit a building. Being able to hit a specific truck on the ground is not realistic IMO.

We had a mission where we were hitting marijuana and coca plantations with these. It was tremendous fun, and I did manage to take out one of the fields this way.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/