Questions about F-15 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Default Questions about F-15

1- If Boresight mode for WVR, FLOOD, VS, AACQ, HOJ for what?
2- I don't know how to activate the HOJ mode. I have seen tutorial for HOJ but everytime HOJ starts to describe, the bandits shoot instructor and I'm left with nothing to activate it.
3- In autopilot mode, the autopilot attempts to capture the glide slope in ILS mode. however, I just crashed today during bank turn on 45 degrees from runway threshold, partly because ape attempted catching slope. How far from LZ should I activate AP to capture slope. It appears to lower thrust automatically and just needs to be far out. How far? does it follow slope or should I trim down? Why no AOAI on 15's?

I got shot by a locking Mig-23. I had it to the face that canopy blew off. mofo pinged me, I engaged ECM but no joy if ECM flashes??

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Razor5-1

1- Not sure quite what you mean? could you possibly rephrase.
2- HOJ is activated when you lock up an aircraft that is jamming.
3- Never used any autopilot, stick and rudder man
Razor5-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
manfrez01

Thumbs up

Hello.

I love to help, but the fact is that I have no more than half an hour's flight in the F-15, never caught my atencia the eagle, but I can suggest to read the manual page 292 for example, greetings and good luck. -
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
USAFMTL

Send a message via ICQ to USAFMTL

Boresight:The pilot flies along the planes longitudinal axis onto the target or if a target crosses the same axis, the radar locks on.

WVR: Within visual range mode, in other words you're in a knife fight. This is the reason why the F-15 was made, because it was thought an F-4 would never have to engage in this realm. However see Vietnam War for that oversight.

FLOOD: This mode puts the radar in a broader acquisition mode. It doesn't lock the AIM-7 for you but you can use it to home in on any taget painted by the scan.

VS: Vertical Scan mode, the radar scans the airspace in front of it to a beam of 7.5 degrees wide and –2 to 50 degrees vertically. There are 2 bars displayed on the HUD and you need to get a target in between those lines to acquire a target.

AACQ: I use this for guns mode, where it locks the target up and you can get a quicker firing envelope.

HOJ: Home on Jam, just like it says, is useful for when an aircraft is beginning to jam to confuse the missiles radar. In that case the radar switch's modes to lock onto the source of the jamming. This mode is very unreliable though as it has to go through a electronic gauntlet to get to a target. The theory is though that with the missile is close enough that it will burn through the jamming and acquire the target and kill it.

I am hoping this what you were asking for in the first question.

US Air Force Retired, 1C371
No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

Last edited by USAFMTL; 08-20-2012 at 01:05 AM.
USAFMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

EDIT:

Now I can lock squares on radar screen, get HOJ on HUD, now what?? I can't fire 120B/C/7M/9M... Also, what anti-radiation missiles are in LOMAC/World? A full list is appreciated.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Last edited by WildBillKelsoe; 08-22-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

BUMP

Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Kunz

Send a message via AIM to Kunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillKelsoe View Post
EDIT:

Now I can lock squares on radar screen, get HOJ on HUD, now what?? I can't fire 120B/C/7M/9M...
You have to be in range to fire the missile. Press Alt+W to override if you don't get a shoot cue but the missile will probably miss.

Quote:
Also, what anti-radiation missiles are in LOMAC/World? A full list is appreciated.
I believe its same for both LOMAC and world but here's a list.

AGM-88.
ALARM.
KH-25MPU
KH-58U
KH-31A
KH-31P
Kunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Pyroflash

Quote:
EDIT:

Now I can lock squares on radar screen, get HOJ on HUD, now what?? I can't fire 120B/C/7M/9M... Also, what anti-radiation missiles are in LOMAC/World? A full list is appreciated.
American weapons have no DLZ limit like the Russian planes do. You can fire the missiles at any time by pressing and holding the weapons release key (different from the fire gun key) for more than two seconds (please don't Mad Dog AIM-120's (firing them without a valid lock, or breaking the lock before they go pitbull (the point where the missile is tracking the target with its own RADAR)) though. I understand that it happens if you lose lock, etc., but try not to fire them without a valid lock, or release lock before they go pitbull.

Tip: In HOJ, you can get a target's slant range by knowing two things, how far away you are from a landmark, and how high the target is, assuming you can do a little big of trig (it isn't hard).

1. Gather target's approximate height (this will be your height when you cross the enemy through the horizon bar on your HUD).

2. Climb to a set altitude (the higher you are, the easier it will be to do this at longer ranges).

3. When bandit is over a landmark, estimate horizontal range (distance along the ground) from you to that landmark (this range MUST be in the same units as you used to determine your current altitude).

4. Now think of this as building two triangles in the air, one big one that slants from you to the landmark, and one smaller one that slants from you to the bandit. Since these triangles are the EXACT same, but just scaled differently, we can apply the same angles to both triangles. The first thing that needs to be found is the slant range of you to the landmark. The Pythagorean theorem (A^2+B^2=C^2) comes in handy here. ex. I am at 30,000 feet, while the landmark is ten kts from me. 30,000'^2+60,000'^2=67,082'^2 So the landmark has a slant range of 67,082' from me.

5. Now divide your altitude by the bandit's altitude. ex. bandit is at 15,000'. 30,000'/15,000'=2.

6. The last step is to divide the slant range of the town by the number in step 5. This will leave you with the approximate slant range of the enemy aircraft.

ex. 67,082'/2=33,541'.

And now you know how to kill jamming aircraft without ever turning letting it know that you fired on him.

Join me next time for another great episode of "Blowing Stuff Up (With Math)"

P.S. Every A-A missile that the Eagle can fire in FC2 except for the AIM-9 is HOJ capable, although TBH the AIM-7M is too short range to be of much use here (you are in burn through before DLZ limits). NONE of these missiles are anti-radiation though, they cannot be locked onto a target's radar.

Last edited by Pyroflash; 08-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Pyroflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
SgtPappy

I was practicing BVR with my friend and I remember him using FLOOD mode on the Su-27 I was flying. We were flying with only 80's weapons; i.e. AIM-7M's and R-27R/T's (along with the regular AIM-9M's and R-73's).

I didn't get a lock or launch warning. Is this supposed to happen? If there's only one bandit in the FLOOD circle, is the Pk degraded for the AIM-7 launched in FLOOD mode?

EDIT: He also claimed that the red shoot cue lights on the canopy bow turned on when his F-15 was around 10 nm away from my plane. He wasn't sure though as it was difficult to tell in the middle of a fight that was becoming more and more WVR.

Last edited by SgtPappy; 08-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
SgtPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
USAFMTL

Send a message via ICQ to USAFMTL
Thumbs up

My new favorite quote...Pyro says.....

"Join me next time for another great episode of "Blowing Stuff Up (With Math)"

US Air Force Retired, 1C371
No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.
USAFMTL is offline   Reply With Quote