Boltz's A-10 Build

Boltz

• 3 weeks later...

I'm terrible at keeping this thread updated. Since I last posted here I have changed the MIP to a 28" monitor, built the Cockpit CAVTR data storage unit, painted the pedal adjustment and auxiliary landing gear handles and started building a few panels and implementing the switches.

In an attempt to post more of my work I have started filming some of what I do. You can see me in action here where I start making the SAS panel:

I'm new to the world of YouTube so please excuse some of the camera angles and other problems. Now I have worked out how to do this, I will start making some more. It takes less time to have a camera rolling than to keep stopping to take stills so expect more of these.

Please like, comment and subscribe for more. Let me know what you think and how I can improve.

Thank you,

Boltz

Love the Website, clear concise and extremely informative, like MacFevre says: Donations.

I'm sure people like myself who will use the information and downloads would be more than happy to make a donation towards the upkeep of the site.

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Wired up an old PSU for the cockpit. Connected to a small control box I built a while back with indicator LEDs and shut-off for power. Also Power On is connected in series to DPST battery switch. More software matrix testing and circuit design done. I need to get some Arduino Protoshields to make one matrix breakout board and the rest of the IO system.

Magnetically held switches can now be implemented in A2DCS. Just need to finish wiring diagrams and get some confirmation on them.

New version of A2DCS is still getting nearer. All coding is finished, now it is just on to writing the instructions and final testing (not fun tasks.)

Made some bolts for panel standoffs out of threaded rod and blowtorch. Also begun soldering diodes for the SAS panel.

• Like 1

Nice job, I'm glad I have a friend with a CNC machine, that looks like a lot of work. But sometimes doing things like that make it mean so much more....and it's fun to do.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I have updated the website with previous downloads, some more links and other general items. Also added a Donate button. Any donations, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.it-eam.co.uk/boltz/

The second part of the YT video is nearly finished. I'm just finishing the paint job today. Looking to release part 2 tomorrow. I will probably need a third part to cover the electronics since the current video is already quite long.

Thanks,

Boltz

Nice slideshow. You know, I was practicing your mission again today, and after what I thought was pretty successful, yet very uneventful, I was awarded the Purple Heart!? Now how did that happen? Only static targets, nice takeoff and landing. No problems, yet the PH? No clue... :)

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Getting closer! For the built out portion of the MIP, you going to paint the inside black? Might cut down on any glare and make the screen look less inset.

I've got my own MIP removed. Going to make bezels today and cut out the engine cluster area. Maybe even paint it. Anyway, looking sharp there Boltz!

Getting closer! For the built out portion of the MIP, you going to paint the inside black? Might cut down on any glare and make the screen look less inset.

I've got my own MIP removed. Going to make bezels today and cut out the engine cluster area. Maybe even paint it. Anyway, looking sharp there Boltz!

Cheers MacFevre and yes I will be painting the insides black. It does look better in person, I just can't find a good way to photograph screens. If anyone has any tips then I'd love to hear them.

Boltz

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the Landing Gear Panel today. Everything is done except painting and labelling the panel. Also I need to make the lever, mechanism is done just not the bar and knob on the end of the lever. It will take a bit of thought to add the light to the handle.

Painted the insides of all the instrument bezels and MacFevre, you are definitely correct in saying that it makes the screen look less inset.

No video from today though as my camera didn't get on well with the 1 degree celsious temperature here :)

Pictures or it never happened. ;) I too am struggling with temps. I brought my bezels out to paint in the garage, as the wife doesn't like the house smelling like paint. I only took one at a time out to spray, and brought them directly back in. Don't know if it was because of the temp, I'm assuming it was, but the plastic ones immediately orange peeled. The wood one was fine. I'll have to be sneaky when she's at work and hope the smell evacuates before she's home. :D

Yes pictures please :)

Temperatures are definetly not cooperating. Aside of troubles painting, when it's near freezing the fumes from the laser tend to condense on the very cold part giving a nasty smelling resedue. And then there are times when the bucket of colant water is one blob of ice altogether :) blowing the water out of the laser tube is essential at my place.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

I've not had problems with painting MacFevre, just with the actual plexiglass staying outside. The stuff becomes too brittle in the cold. Only other problem I have had is condensation freezing on the inside of my garage roof. Then when the temperature gets up I have an indoor rainstorm. That is not fun but finding someone to take away an asbestos roof is expensive here. Maybe a project for the summer

The evidence is here :D

Not in final position, just held in place by gravity for a preview

IMG_3183_zps341f8508.jpg

And the MIP, showing painted instrument "tubes"

IMG_3184_zps50ec78a8.jpg

IMG_3185_zpsb95a750d.jpg

Still to go on the LDGP apart from previously mentioned:

- Attach switch guard (already made)

- Swap out Downlock Override and TEMS Data push switches

- Create legends for gear indicators

I will probably create an assembly video and show the rest of the LDGP

Boltz

Edit: I don't think I posted my last YouTube video which shows the MIP in action

Edited by Boltz

Nice work, I love seeing the progress you guys all make.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I finally received my order today for a bunch of electronics to get some panels working. That means I can finally finish the SAS panel and some of the others I have been working on. Still need to buy a load of switches but I now have the basics for my IO system. Going from a single Arduino prototype to over a thousand inputs and outputs to control is a completely different game.