Nvidia DSR and DCS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - I tried it in fullscreen mode and indeed I see the effect now. Oddly, I think it actually looks _worse_, but perhaps that's more a function of setting the smoothness to 0%. I'm not sure this is worth the fps loss for me. I'm dropping from ~70 to ~40.

Wow, I can't belive this thread has so many posts. Hopefully I managed to share my experience with other people and raise the awereness of how cool DSR can actually be.

And yes, I'm guessing GTX 970+ is a good option for using DSR on 2x and higher native resolutions.

Some people seem to be confused about which graphic cards work for DSR, fermi and kepler (500 series and 600 series +). You can get more info on the official site, but can't remember the exact link. I think it may even be written in the release notes for the new graphic drivers.

Cheers!

Failure is the mother of all success.

I've spent days trying to get dsr to work but had no luck until i discoverd this thread https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777770/geforce-900-series/-cannot-enable-dsr-on-gtx-980/

If you have "Automatically move pointer to the default button" enabled in the control panel mouse options it causes a problem.....its always the little things...

Interesting. I have only done a wee bit of testing but haven't had that issue. Reminds me of the 'Steam mouse trails' issue.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Mouse issue was a problem for me. Unchecked it in mouse properties now can use dsr

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Just enabled DSR on my rig. Using 2560 x 1440, on my 1080 39" display.

Looking good. Going to take the K-4 up for a spin, and look for the AI Pony... :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Good news, everyone!

I managed to make it work with a multi monitor setup.

It's actually pretty simple, activate DSR for the chosen monitor (by setting the desktop resolution to the highest setting) and modify your monitor setup .lua to take in account the high resolution.

In my case I use a 2560x1080 (main view) on top and a 1920x1080 on the bottom (to display MFDs and stuff).

I rewrote the monitor config .lua using resolution 3620x1527 for the top screen (DSR factor 2), it's quite easy by using a function that multiplies everything applicable by 1.414213562373 or using constants on top of the file).

Resolution set in DCS options is 3620x2607 (height = 1527+1080).

Enjoy,

P.

Confirmed. Worked forme too. I only notice a big advantage in a2a combat: Other planes in the sky are much(!) better visible. Even from far away. I like that. Why can't we see planes without DSR as early as with DSR?! I don't really understand, techncally.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

When the SIM calculates the plane size below the size of a pixel, it does not show it anyway. Other Sims take distance into account and show at least a pixel if it is in a distance where it should be visible (transparency reducing as it nears).

It seems a current update did something about the spotting issues... or I have a placebo effect here?

EDIT and yes, DSR improves spotting dramatically!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hopefully, this "distant plane visiblity" issue is improved with EDGE. I would love if that pixel would "grey out" or "fade out" with growing distance, instead of dissapearing so soon @1920x1080.

Any quick (semi-)official info about that?

.. drifted a litte OT, sorry.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

• 1 year later...

In DCS 1.5+ DSR option doesnt work.

Did You notice it too?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

In DCS 1.5+ DSR option doesnt work.

Did You notice it too?

Yes.... but Supersampling work...and look very good. In fact DSR work, but you can't click anything, you have to change you resolution before entering the game... annoying and i'm always the guy who forget this :doh:

alt enter for full screen

Yes it works but cant click any button.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I know in Windows 10 I had to make sure text size was set to 100 percent other wise scaling is goofed up. So right click then display settings in win 10

100% is the default value for me, original resolution: 1920x1080, i set DSR to 4x (so 3840x2160) in game, press alt+enter for full screen, but you can't click anything, i have to change my native resolution to 3840x2160 before with Nvidia Control Panel....Strange, IIRC, it worked great in DCS 1.2.

Yes.... but Supersampling work...and look very good. In fact DSR work, but you can't click anything, you have to change you resolution before entering the game... annoying and i'm always the guy who forget this :doh:

How exactly? Using some settings in Nvidia inspector? DCS itself does not offer supersampling as far as I'm aware.

DSR is nothing more than super sampling rebranded to use the magic marketing term "4K"

This statement is absolutely false:

"giving you 4K, 3840x2160-quality graphics on any screen."

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

It's fully impossible for any graphics card to add pixels to your screen which aren't there.

It's like a Blu-ray Disc player making the claim that it will "give you Full HD 1080p-quality picture on any TV"

Super sampling does provide very good antialiasing, although when set at 4.0 DSR is only giving you the equivalent of 4xAA but doing so at an incredible performance penalty. Personally having tried it at 1080p I preferred the regular AA in game set to much higher levels than 4x along with being able to run much higher graphic settings.

And now using a real 4K screen I can confidently tell you that Nvidias claim above is a bunch of malarkey. It's such an incredibly false advertising claim I'm surprised they haven't been sued.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I am sure that using the term 'quality' gives them some sort of out on that claim's specifics.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I am sure that using the term 'quality' gives them some sort of out on that claim's specifics.

You could say "super" quality

"ultra" quality

"awesomely awesome" quality.

But saying "3840x2160 quality" that means literally one thing and one thing only. And it's impossible for any graphics card to provide that on a screen without that native resolution.

Once again that's like a BD disc player claiming to provide 1080p quality on a normal 480i SD TV

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

How exactly? Using some settings in Nvidia inspector? DCS itself does not offer supersampling as far as I'm aware.

I'm using Nvidia Ispector, but you can do it with Nvidia Control Panel:

Antialiasing Mode: Override any application setting

Antialiasing Transparency Multisampling: Disabled

Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling: 2xSupersampling or 4xSupersampling

The important thing is to set your Msaa in game at the same value of your Supersampling, if you choose 2xSupersampling then choose 2xMsaa while in game, otherwise it won't work.

Downsampling, Multisampling....same thing for me, of course that will not provide the image clarity of a true 4K screen, i see those antialiasing technique more as a "full scene antialiasing" than other thing, but i disagree on 1 thing, it look much better at DSR 4x or SSAAx4 (:wacko:) than with the regular 4xMsaa, at least on my screen wich is 32'', 1920x1080.

• 1 year later...

It's fully impossible for any graphics card to add pixels to your screen which aren't there.

It's like a Blu-ray Disc player making the claim that it will "give you Full HD 1080p-quality picture on any TV"

I don't know for sure about graphic cards, but my old DVD's processor uses "upscaling" to "add pixels" to DVD movies (576 Pixel x 720 Pixel) at a guess using bilinear interpolation to provide a FullHD (1920 Pixel x 1080 Pixel) output.

I guess it isn't impossible for a modern GPU to do the same. Just saying, as you used the trigger words "fully impossible" and "any"...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)