Oculus DK2 - worth buying?

ghashpl

Hi guys,

I could buy Oculus DK2 (for about 120€) but I dont know anything about VR headsets. So is this one would be good for DCS?

- how about resolution

- head movement (can I look behind)

- horizontal field of view

- cockpit visibilty (can I read text, mfcd, etc)

Should I be satisfied with this one? Or after some days I will recognize probles with low resolution or readability of cockpit buttons?

thx

I would save and get a refurbished/used Samsung Odyssey if you can afford it. goes for 399$ on amazon if they got any left. I dont know where you live ofc but i got mine shipped to Norway with import tax added for 599$

You can forget about reading anything in that HMD

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Rift CV1 would be a much better choice over the DK2 which is no longer supported.

Loving my Rift, use it daily.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I wouldn't buy The DK2.The Consumer version of the rift will be considerably cheaper in a month or so when 2nd gen of VR headsets hit the market.Keep an eye on ebay or other such sites for a good used one.

2nd gen of VR headsets in a month or two? You will be waiting a lot longer than that I'm afraid.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2nd gen of VR headsets in a month or two? You will be waiting a lot longer than that I'm afraid.

Agreed. IMHO late 2019 for Rift CV2 if we are lucky, more likely first half of 2020 my guess.

But hey who knows, Nvidia put those new USB C-ports into the 20 series cards for a reason...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

True gen 2 headsets from are still a long way off. I bought what could be considered a "1.5" headset, the Samsung Odyssey. I love it.

But you might be getting your hopes a little high for current consumer VR. The Odyssey has ~30% higher resolution than Oculus or Vive, on par with the new Vive Pro, and I've honestly been disappointed in how inadequate this 'high' resolution actually is. I never used an Oculus or Vive so my point of reference has to be my old 1080p monitor. Going VR is a serious handicap compared to using that ten year old monitor. For me, personally, the profound increase in depth perception and feeling of immersion balances out the resolution handicap. It's so much more enjoyable to just fly.

To actually answer your question, I'd avoid the DK2 unless you want to experiment or set your VR 'baseline expectations' fairly low. If you're stateside I'd recommend waiting for the holiday shenanigans to start. You should be able to pick up a good current headset for under $300.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Imo with vr you loose resolution but gain immersion. Which is more important to you the only way I can read the guages in vr is to zoom in and memorize the location of the guage and its readings in clock readout outputs like on the hueys Torque guage I know which one it is and 6 o’clock is about where you start getting lift 7 o’clock is lift off for a empty huey so 630 is where I put it for cruise iirc since it’s been a while since I was able to. Fly. That’s the way you have to fly in vr. If your not sure what a guage is showing zoom in real quick figure it out and zoom back to normal view. My zoom is a toggle since the. Most use is during startup and setting up the radios once done back to normal view and lift off .

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I have the CV1, which is going for about $400.00 these days, and the thing just works with no fuss. Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but the DK part of DK2 is Developer's Kit, which usually implies the need for a lot of extraordinary technical ability in order to get it working reliably. I definitely recommend the CV1 at this point, since true second generation VR is probably a year or two out. I've tried the Samsung Odyssey already and returned it. In my opinion, its too light and feels kinda cheap. Also, its interface was clunky for me. Can't go wrong with a CV1. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

DK2 is as easy to setup as CV1 it uses the same software. I used dk2 for a few months before cv1 was released. I would say dk2 is better than no vr at all. Tracking is not as good as the cv1 but it is good enough, still better than trackir. Resolution and screen door effect are slightly worst, but the difference isn't that much, some birds you will be able to read gauges without lean others not. Generally old birds will be ok, but forget about displays or f-5 a-10 engine gauges without lean forward or zoom. Distance objecys is all bad no matter cv1 or dk2.

It is also a bit less comfortable and doesn't have headphones but I don't use cv1 headphones as well because are crap.

Performance with dk2 is better tho

If you can get it really good price, like 80-100 euro go for it, you will see what vr is enjoy it for few months, like flying helos is really fun and you don't care about the visibility so much.

I am not sure if it still works with Oculus software tho.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would save and get a refurbished/used Samsung Odyssey if you can afford it. goes for 399$ on amazon if they got any left. I dont know where you live ofc but i got mine shipped to Norway with import tax added for 599$

You can forget about reading anything in that HMD

i just start to mess around with the odyssey...

WOW.. no god rays.. and its crisper looking.

i just wished the HTC vive wands or even the WMR controllers worked in DCS..

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I have both the DK2 and CV1 running. The DK2 is on our "test rig" at DSD and my CV1 is at home. I really like the DK2 since it runs at a lower frame rate, 75FPS compared to 90 for the CV1, and there are no god rays, which I hate. The SDE is worse, of course, on the DK2.

If you can get a DK2 for cheap, and I'm talking less than 100 bucks US, it would be worth it to get going. It uses the Oculus Home software just like the CV1, so it's not difficult to use (anyone remember the 0400 drivers? yowie!). For the "basic VR experience", it's worth it.

Understand that the CV1 is a lot better in the fact that the touch controllers open up a new world of gaming. For example, I like Hotdog, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades since it is a pro shooting simulator. There are other standing games using the touch which are also a blast. If you're doing only sitting games like DCS, iRacing, Elite Dangerous, and want to get going in VR - AND can get a very good deal on a DK2, then it is worth it.

My 2c.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

haven’t heard of these release dates before.

how reliable are your sources?

Actually Pimax 8K 2nd gen headsets start shipping the end of this month for kickstarter backers,I'm sure more than a few of these will hit the ebay open market as well.

From the Pimax news letter.....

"0 days countdown - M2 in-depth reviews are coming up from mid-Sep

The crew is back to the office! After the meetup with over 100 enthusiastic backers in Berlin, the team looks calm but still thrilled inside.

The participants of the meetup, including our lovely volunteers, are all Pimax backers. Glad to find our backers are real VR enthusiasts who are not only passionate but also knowledgeable about VR. During the meetup, people were chatting with each other like old friends about all the VR topics. The meetup cannot have been so successful without the passion and support from you!

Moreover, the M2 devices we showcased in the meetup are exactly the result of the collective power of the community, especially the M1 closed beta group. For the past three months, the testers dedicated their valuable hours every single day in testing in addition to their own very busy schedule. The efforts of the testers are all about to deliver the best possible headsets to Berlin, and to your doorstep in the near future.

For the rest of the days on September, the team will focus on production and delivery, also manage to speed up the software iterations. The Kickstarter shipping will start by the end of September.

We already have several top voted cities from the community. The time and location of the next meetup will be disclosed when confirmed.

The testers you met in Berlin, Thomas, Sebastian, and Martin, are now working on M2 review videos for all the backers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your "wait for 2nd Gen" comment was in regards to a big price drop on first gen from the mainstream manufacturers. I'm sure there will be some good discounts for the holidays this year, but Oculus/HTC/Samsung are definitely not dropping their prices in response to the (insincerely named) Pimax 8k.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Actually Pimax 8K 2nd gen headsets start shipping the end of this month for kickstarter backers,I'm sure more than a few of these will hit the ebay open market as well.

From the Pimax news letter.....

"0 days countdown - M2 in-depth reviews are coming up from mid-Sep

The crew is back to the office! After the meetup with over 100 enthusiastic backers in Berlin, the team looks calm but still thrilled inside.

The participants of the meetup, including our lovely volunteers, are all Pimax backers. Glad to find our backers are real VR enthusiasts who are not only passionate but also knowledgeable about VR. During the meetup, people were chatting with each other like old friends about all the VR topics. The meetup cannot have been so successful without the passion and support from you!

Moreover, the M2 devices we showcased in the meetup are exactly the result of the collective power of the community, especially the M1 closed beta group. For the past three months, the testers dedicated their valuable hours every single day in testing in addition to their own very busy schedule. The efforts of the testers are all about to deliver the best possible headsets to Berlin, and to your doorstep in the near future.

For the rest of the days on September, the team will focus on production and delivery, also manage to speed up the software iterations. The Kickstarter shipping will start by the end of September.

We already have several top voted cities from the community. The time and location of the next meetup will be disclosed when confirmed.

The testers you met in Berlin, Thomas, Sebastian, and Martin, are now working on M2 review videos for all the backers.

Ya, I'm sure the Pimax 8k will be awesome lol :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ya, I'm sure the Pimax 8k will be awesome lol :doh:

:thumbup: Thx....The reviews from the Beta testers has been very positive:thumbup: I'll be sure to let you know when I receive mine this fall:thumbup:Thx for your Great input!!!:thumbup:

Your "wait for 2nd Gen" comment was in regards to a big price drop on first gen from the mainstream manufacturers. I'm sure there will be some good discounts for the holidays this year, but Oculus/HTC/Samsung are definitely not dropping their prices in response to the (insincerely named) Pimax 8k.

Are you referring to my comment? If so, The OP is asking if he should buy a "Used" DK"Developmental Kit" or "Prototype" of The Rift,This is a very Primitive version of VR,The CV1 Has better resolution and much better head tracking.....when I responded to OP with "Keep an eye on ebay or other such sites for a good used one." I of course didn't mean "NEW"I'm not sure how you can misunderstand that Statement?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]