Pimax 5K+ and Odessa + Terrain Ghosting Issues

Naruto

I own both these HMD's. There is no terrain ghosting going on when looking straight down the hud when banking left or right but when I look out the sides of the canopy, the terrain and buildings, trees get double vision when banking sharply. If I bank really slow, the ghosting stops. I don't remember it doing this with my Oculas rift. I get no ghosting when looking inside the cockpit. The gauges and displays look normal when banking or just moving my head around, its just the objects on the terrain that get blurry when banking and stops blurring as soon as I stop banking. It also does this with one eye open or both so its happening on each individual VR monitor.

Also I am noticing the trees look like they are growing as I fly closer to them. The are no trees on the ground at a distance and they just grow from a sprout to a full size tree like magic.

This occurs when DCS VR setting are set to lowest values to highest values. It occurs with or without steam SS and motion projection off and on.

It just gets annoying to have nice HMDs for DCS for this issue to crop up when I don't remember having this problem with a Rift.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Regarding the trees , where do you have the slider ? You need at the very least 70% to mitigate the "sprouting" , and more to eliminate it . If you have it maxed and still see the sprouting , your system is struggling .

With my barely-adequate system , i have experienced the "ghosting" symptoms you describe with the Rift . It seemed to be a combination of ASW settings and borderline performance due to , in my case , running too high a PD . With higher PD , i would get the ghosting , especially in hard turns with ASW on . The only way i could run a high PD was with ASW off/frames locked to 45 . Lowering the PD gave me more flexibility in terms of ASW on/off .

The hard fact is , that currently , even with a system such as yours , concessions to eye-candy must be made to drive high-resolution headsets . Let us hope the terrain engine optimisation arrives soon !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The "ghosting" which is actually called Judder has been around and is a side effect of low framerate. It is the reason why Oculus had strived for 90 FPS, and why ASW was created for when below 90. Brainwarp for Pimax is suppose to fix this, but I've not had a chance to try it.

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Judder

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

The "ghosting" which is actually called Judder has been around and is a side effect of low framerate. It is the reason why Oculus had strived for 90 FPS, and why ASW was created for when below 90. Brainwarp for Pimax is suppose to fix this, but I've not had a chance to try it.

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Judder

I have the latest Pimax Brainwarp 121 installed with latest Nvidia drivers and it does not fix this not matter where I put the settings. Either using 90Hz or 72Hz with PP enabled or not and smart smoothing/FFR on or off. I've messed with so many stettings and with everything from DCS, Pitools and Steam set to the lowest setting to get the highest FPS, the judder is still present. I'd be interested in hearing from Wags if he has judder with his Pimax 5K+ on his system as well. If he he doesn't, then hopefully he can share his settings.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I have the latest Pimax Brainwarp 121 installed with latest Nvidia drivers and it does not fix this not matter where I put the settings. Either using 90Hz or 72Hz with PP enabled or not and smart smoothing/FFR on or off.

Same here. I have not had time to mess around with so many settings but everything I tried had judder when turning the heat quickly or looking left or right out of the canopy when flying fast near the ground. I hope pimax can improve it or anyone can enlighten me with the proper settings.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Ok I was able to get rid of the judder on the SO+ but not on the Pimax 5K+ at any settings in DCS, Pitool and SteamVR. It really sucks about the Pimax as I love the FOV but I can't stand the judder at all. Either the Pimx is buggy or the resolution is too high for DCS at the moment. Will experiment more on the Pimax when the VR optimization for DCS is released. The SO+ is a def upgrade from the Rift. I was planning on getting the HP Reverb but may hold off and let other be the guinea pig first since the res would likely murder my system as I'm sure judders will occur on the Reverb as well.

I pretty much lowered ever setting to low or off and moved all the sliders left and gradually increased each setting until the judders came back and backed off. Also Motion Projection must be on for the judders to go away. Here are my SO+ settings, anything slightly higher will make judders return:

Textures - high

Terrain Textures - high

Civ Traffic - off

Water - medium

Visible Range - high

Heat Blur - off

Shadows - flat

Cockpit Resolution - 512

MSAA - off

Depth of Field - off

Lens Effects - off

Motion Blur - off

SSAA - off

Clutter / Grass - 0%

Tree Visibility - 100%

Preload Radius - MAX

Chimney Smoke - 1

Gamma - 1.8

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x

Terrain Object Shadows - flat

Cockpit global illumination - on

DCS PD - 1.3

SteamVR SS - 100%

SO+ Motion Projection - on

Edited by Naruto

I can confirm the terrain ghosting issue with the Pimax 5K+. I have exactly the same problem, no matter what settings in game or PiTool/Steam.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

So like i said, you have to get a higher FPS in DCS... which isnt going to right now. Judder is a problem at low FPS (not refresh rate). Brainwarp doesnt fix it, ASW in Oculus did. Totally different tech.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

So like i said, you have to get a higher FPS in DCS... which isnt going to right now. Judder is a problem at low FPS (not refresh rate). Brainwarp doesnt fix it, ASW in Oculus did. Totally different tech.

I completely agree, the Pimax resolution is too high even for the best available system today to get a good enough framerate to stop the judder even with the lowest visual settings unless Pimax comes out with a equivalent ASW of their own that actually works. I'm holding out on ED's VR optimization but not counting on it to resolve the Pimax and judder issue as I can't see getting the necessary performance gains with a Pimax 5K+. With my SO+, I had no problems once I found the right visual settings in maintaining 45 FPS with the smaller FOV to stop the judder.

Edited by Naruto

This problem could despair with that future therein optimization because that could be the reason for it as well.

We will see soon with Caucasus map optimization release in one of the next Beta release. Wags say the Caucasus is done and will be released soon.

This problem could despair with that future therein optimization because that could be the reason for it as well.

We will see soon with Caucasus map optimization release in one of the next Beta release. Wags say the Caucasus is done and will be released soon.

Source ? I am under the impression that they have to do all maps before release . Hope i'm wrong though:)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Source ? I am under the impression that they have to do all maps before release . Hope i'm wrong though:)

Same here, while Wags said the Caucasus were done he also said they were moving on to working on the other maps. Did not say anything about releasing Caucasus beforehand.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

Here is the quote from another post where it is mention.

Here is the quote from another post where it is mention.

Right just as I said, he said the team was done with the Caucuses and moving on to the other maps, and will release when done.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Likely because engine changes benefiting Caucasus would disallow usage of other maps at all .

No one says anything about release separately or after they did all the maps.

I don't see why not separately especially in Beta release. Need to be tested properly and what could be better than check it on beta first?

Yeah actually Wags did in the statement above. He specifically said the Caucuses were done and they were moving on to the other maps, and when finished would release.

Seems pretty clear to me.

:smilewink:

Don B

• 3 weeks later...

PiTool "Smart Smoothing" does work, although still with more artifacts than Oculus ASW.

There are four big GOTCHAS.

1) Beta version of PiTool is BROKEN. Use stable version “v1.0.0.109”.

2) Be careful about overlays and their resolution. Set super-resolution as an Applicaton Override, NOT SteamVR video resolution. OVRDrop in particular, if sampling application windows instead of a desktop, catastrophically adds >10ms to frametimes.

3) DCS window must have foucs. Maybe Windows must also be configured to prioritize "Programs" instead of "Background Services".

4) DCS is *extremely* CPU single-thread heavy, not so much GPU heavy. Upside - use cheaper GPU or turn super-resolution WAY up. Downside - the best CPUs available can fail to deliver 32Hz in 'heavy' situations. Not much you can do about it.

The "fpsvr" tool can go a long way towards diagnosing these kind of problems with DCS. Below 31ms CPU/GPU frametimes, good. Above, bad. Below 32Hz framerate, unusable.

Pimax and DCS World is a very high-end simulation deal, far above an arcade game running on a GearVR. Don't expect this to work 'out-of-the-box' or on cheap hardware. Do expect to become a mechanic for your virtual jet. :)

Also, not complaining, but please do encourage Eagle Dynamics as DCS developers to please fix the single-threading bug soon. Some of the worst DCS VR issues are clearly CPU bound, that hardware is not really getting better, and we could get 5x better performance.