Detecting IR Missiles

Teriander

I listened to it again, still missing it ... where and what did he say? :)

He was saying that (and I paraphrase) considering how many years air-to-air missiles have been loaded and unloaded on the aircraft, it demonstrated fantastic commitment from the ground crew and technicians who build them, that the one rare occasion the missiles needed to be used, they both actually worked and were 4.0 (so in perfect condition according to him).

Regarding the 9X, I take his comments to mean that up until he lost sight of it after launch, it appeared to have worked as advertised, after that point we don't known what happened.

Ah yes, that I understood. The missile launched and didn't register faults prior to launch - this would imply something like a fin failure or something - IMHO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ah yes, that I understood. The missile launched and didn't register faults prior to launch - this would imply something like a fin failure or something - IMHO.

I think some sort of failure is most likely. It may have even been a guidance failure after he lost sight of it. As you mentioned earlier, the imaging seeker can't really be fooled by flares, unless in a tail chase situation were geometry combined with ejection characteristics completely masks the defending aircraft. In the short video clip of the SU-22, there was no indication that flares were dispensed.

OK, so I did a 4 v 4 (all AI mission) against Mig-29s.

I ordered my wingmen to engage and I throttled back a little so they can take a lead. They did. We all fired Aim-7Ms. The enemy fired radar guided as well. As we closed in, one of them fired a Archer (IR Missile). Of course it's coming for me. Passing my wingmen who had a slight lead ahead of me.

NOT A SINGLE WINGMAN warned me of the incoming IR missile. This needs to change! I remember back in my Falcon 3 and 4 days, my wingman would always warn me of incoming missiles. But not on DCS in my F-18.

Does anyone else agree this needs to change? Radio chatter with AI teammates needs to beef up a bit when in dogfights.