Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a payware update of the 80´s F-5E to the present F-5N?
Yes 75 55.15%
No 46 33.82%
It would depend of the sale price. 15 11.03%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #51
DmitriKozlowsky

I see secure crypto capable ARC radios . So that would just be simmed as normal DCS radio, albeit with better eye candy. UHF1-UHF2 radio switch on port side of HUD
The center MFD for radar and moving map display. EGI nav similar to A-10C and AV-8B/NA.
The N like Brazil's EM variant can probably carry AIM-9M. I dunno if either can carry AIM-120A/B. Probably not. Perhaps expanded ability to carry more then 2 X AIM-9P5 on outer wing pylons, in addition to wing tips.
Would be nice to have more then a handfull of chaff/flare that F-5E has. Raytheon did develop and market ECM for F-5 family.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #52
DmitriKozlowsky

Isn't Garmin NS430 a civil aviation product?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #53
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriKozlowsky View Post
Isn't Garmin NS430 a civil aviation product?
Yes. It´s the kind of equipment you can find in a Cessna 172. But sometimes civilian GPS equipment is mounted in old military jets as a cheap field modification or something, so it´s not totally unrealistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVfUtgABNbM

Last edited by Kongamato; 04-21-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #54
Auditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriKozlowsky View Post
I see secure crypto capable ARC radios . So that would just be simmed as normal DCS radio, albeit with better eye candy. UHF1-UHF2 radio switch on port side of HUD
The center MFD for radar and moving map display. EGI nav similar to A-10C and AV-8B/NA.
The N like Brazil's EM variant can probably carry AIM-9M. I dunno if either can carry AIM-120A/B. Probably not. Perhaps expanded ability to carry more then 2 X AIM-9P5 on outer wing pylons, in addition to wing tips.
Would be nice to have more then a handfull of chaff/flare that F-5E has. Raytheon did develop and market ECM for F-5 family.
If we're hypothetically going the EM route, it's good to note that these variants can carry Python, Derby, and Sidewinder missiles. All extremely capable missiles, and the Derby is a BVR-capable active radar missile based off of the Python. Which it can carry on all pylons.

Source: https://defense-update.com/20141023_f5tiger.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongamato View Post
This is not the thread to say it. The tread to say it is the one of the NS430. The place where I asked for that integration, by the way. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239273
Yeah, but I'm not really convinced the NS430 is going to see integration in future airframes. Which is a shame, really.

Last edited by Auditor; 04-21-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #55
Stratos

I would kill for a Brazilian EM, with refuelling probe, Python, Derby... One can dream, isn't it?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #56
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I would kill for a Brazilian EM, with refuelling probe, Python, Derby... One can dream, isn't it?
Yeah, one can dream. I would like that version too. But it would be a total overhaul and revamp of the cockpit and the systems of the aircraft, new weapons that doesn´t exist in DCS "universe" and probably there are no data about... I thought the the F-5N was a more obtaineble version.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #57
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post

PS: We already have compressor stalls and flameouts, it's just that the F-5 is incredibly resistant to them in real life. Start at angels 30,000, accelerate as fast as you can then put the nose vertical and wait. You'll very often flame out both engines, which then leads to a relight scramble.
You are right. After several attempts I entered the plane into a inverted flat spin at hight altitude with full afterburner and after a while both engines suffered a flame out. Flame outs are simulated.

Last edited by Kongamato; 04-23-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #58
DmitriKozlowsky

Python 4 and Derby are deadly dangerous to any Gen aircraft. Python5, AFAIK, is only in service with IDF , has basically an expanded no escape zone. Just firing missile within zone is 99% PK. It is too good fr DCS. So is AIM-9X Block II, and R-73M2. There is no evading them , if fired. Flares are no use, they all use combined IR/CCD/UV imaging. I heard of these new flares that also emit in UV band, and have very bright visible to confound CCD. But those are likely to be modeled in DCS for next decade. The supposed bagging of F-16C Blk 50 of PaKAf by InAF Mig-21Bison, was supposedly accomplished with R-73M, and radar that was kissed(upgraded) by ELBIT with Hindustan Aero for InAF. They basically turned a 3rd Gen Mig-21 into 3.75-4 Gen fighter.