Wow I really like this sim.

DmitriKozlowsky

Taking advantage of free trial offer. I am really impressed with this module. Hopefully the community will welcome me.

Its performance in the air, is really phenom. I get between 90-130 FPS in the air in Instant Action missions.

But Hornet struggles with FPS on the tarmac, especially when it is near other F-18Cs, AI C legacy Hornets, Lot20 AI, and F-16C (AI Blk52 and AI Blk50). Between 37-55. Not great, but confined to tarmac . Once in the air, FPS climbs up very fast.

I could not resist, so in Inst Action/Nevada/Free Flight flew until gas was bingo, then did the Cobra. Slowed down to 150 knots, then snap stick aft full. Hornet stood on its end, low speed, and stall warning screamed. Allowed natural nose down, the a/c did loose 5K of altitude before low speed warnings stopped, but aircraft never departed. No deep stalls, no inadvertent yaw, and no compressor stall. I kind of expected compressor stall because of very fast onset of AOA, and C does not have raked intakes. Perhaps the LEXR serve to push and guide air into intakes at high AOA.

Does it really have a professional flight model?In Nevada free flight, aircraft had no stores except gun ammo.

Normal field landing is absurdly easy, with 150 knot at threshold. Wheel brakes, are weak IMHO. After t/d, hold nose until it settles, then stick full fwd so that elevators act as spoilers, and press front gear into runway, apply wheel brakes. Takes too long to stop. Landing at Creech , in Instant Action/Free flight with QNH 29.92, took almost all of runway. In Georgia map, landing at Kabuleti, I ran out of runway. But I figure that it was something I did not do right.

Flying pattern at 160-170 knots is very nice and docile.

I'll probably get this module, as I am locked down in LA right now anyway.

You have 737 posts on this forum and now you have started to like the sim?? I mean it took hell of alot of time for you to like this sim.

I loved it even before I posted my first post on the forum.

I don't know if this is procedure and if it will even work and if it does work maybe the benefits will not outweigh the cost.

But raising the flaps after touchdown would, in theory, reduce lift and thus increase wheel traction which would improve brake performance. But flaps will also cause drag which will act as an airbrake. So maybe the loss of drag will outweigh the gains in traction. Worth a shot maybe?

Putting downforce on a race car improves overall traction and allows better braking. However, the race cars have strong enough brakes to lockup the tires. The Viper/Hornet don't and I don't think anything would be gained by having more grip.

Raising the flaps would increase braking distance because you took away air drag.

Buzz

race cars have strong enough brakes to lockup the tires. The Viper/Hornet don't

Yeah they do. That's why both aircraft have anti-skid systems.

Try to disable anti-skid for field landings.
You can get away with this in DCS (for some reason... probably because the Hornet is still WIP) but in a real jet this would either cause massive damage to the tires requiring replacement, or they would rupture. Neither of which would give you as short of a stopping distance had anti-skid been functioning.

At speed, AOA, full flaps. I've never had an issue once I learned that. If you take off from a carrier, be sure to turn on anti-skid, or else you will skid right off the runway on landing.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

At speed, AOA, full flaps. I've never had an issue once I learned that. If you take off from a carrier, be sure to turn on anti-skid, or else you will skid right off the runway on landing.

Why? You don't use brakes when landing on the boat.

Buzz

You can lock up a wheel when landing without anti-skid? Video/track?

Yes, you can. I found out the hard way lol. Had a mission set up where I take off from the carrier, and when I landed at an airfield, I ended up all over the place. Finally figured out it was anti-skid, and THAT's how real this sim gets! :smilewink:

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

What do you use to apply brakes? Toe brakes or button?

I have the toe brakes on my pedals bound.

Why? You don't use brakes when landing on the boat.

No. You use the hook to catch the wire. So the anti-skid is turned off.

You're confusing. So, you're taking off from the boat and landing on an airfield? I can't remember ever doing that.

The brakes seem so weak I never tried to lock them up. I just assumed they wouldn't do it.

Let me also say I don't have a problem stopping the Hornet. I just made a comment the brakes are week compared to some other planes.

I'd like a real pilot chime in and give their opinion on the brakes.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

You're confusing. So, you're taking off from the boat and landing on an airfield? I can't remember ever doing that.

The brakes seem so weak I never tried to lock them up. I just assumed they wouldn't do it.

Let me also say I don't have a problem stopping the Hornet. I just made a comment the brakes are week compared to some other planes.

Real pilots don't attempt 180's and J turns with A/S off in their Hornets since tyre wear modelling in real life is far more accurate than DCS ;).

But due to the stable nose gear double wheel, I can reliably lock the wheels and spin the Hornet, you need 40kts. Don't try it on the Viper though...

Type screeching and skid "feel" doesn't come through the handling of the sim. You simply don't feel it like you would on a driving game with forcefeedback. It's far more reliable to check out the long black wavy line down the runway to find out if you had A/S on or off and what it does.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Recommend you watch all the F/A-18C Tutorials you can from reputable presenters...the Hornet is a gem to fly!

On Field Landing, Full Aft Stick under 100 KIAS...speed break and make sure you have Anti-Skid on and Hook By-pass to Field...enjoy!

As the others say, on Carrier Landing, Hook By-Pass to CARRIER and ANTISKID off.

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Putting downforce on a race car improves overall traction and allows better braking. However, the race cars have strong enough brakes to lockup the tires. The Viper/Hornet don't and I don't think anything would be gained by having more grip.

Raising the flaps would increase braking distance because you took away air drag.

In small planes (Cessna, etc) raising the flaps just before touching down works very well. Especially if the flaps are driven by an electric motor, because they go up slower, and there is almost no pitch change. You're not going very fast, anyway and putting the flaps up keeps the plane on the ground by taking away lift. I use the same technique in another sim with the WWII warbirds.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Sure I do. I set up a few missions with the F-18 taking off from a carrier, hitting the targets and landing at a closer airfield. I would assume in RL that it also saves fuel. Sure, at some point they need to put that aircraft back on the carrier.

I would think they'd want to keep it on the boat to be ready for the next mission which could come soon.

Just guessing though. I'm hardly a Navy pilot.

Just have fun with it. Mix it up. The F-18 is multi role, right? :D