3080 reviews are out

GunSlingerAUS

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I'll ask, why do some people keep saying this?

It all depends on your hardware and settings whether your DCS is CPU or GPU bound. I am GPU bound 90% of the time.

Can you get a constant 90fps in DCS by setting all your graphics to a minimum? Even in a furball over Vegas? If not, it’s your CPU that’s limiting you.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

VR is definitely heavy on GPU also, after all it is having to draw two separate images rather than one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can you get a constant 90fps in DCS by setting all your graphics to a minimum? Even in a furball over Vegas? If not, it’s your CPU that’s limiting you.

Oh good grief. Not this tangental discussion again. Please! We've been through this before. And you've made your opinion clear. Okay? Let's move back on to a discussion on the 3080.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to continue this, but that is precisely my point. It all depends on settings and hardware.

Of course, if I set SteamVR SS to 20%, I am CPU bound. If I set it to 200%, I am GPU bound.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Of course, if I set SteamVR SS to 20%, I am CPU bound.

So with this setting are you getting 90 FPS in a furball over Dubai?

A better GPU will allow you to do exactly what you are doing, raise your supersampling or any other GPU defendant setting. But all the objects and double frames are loading up the CPU and in DCS just a single thread of it. To perform better, VR or 2D, DCS needs better CPU utilization. Everyone knows that. This may happen with Vulkan but not from a 3080

On a 4K monitor a 2080Ti can already max every setting and do 60fps unless the CPU gets loaded down. So a 3080 is overkill for a monitor.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

So with this setting are you getting 90 FPS in a furball over Dubai?

A better GPU will allow you to do exactly what you are doing, raise your supersampling or any other GPU defendant setting. But all the objects and double frames are loading up the CPU and in DCS just a single thread of it. To perform better, VR or 2D, DCS needs better CPU utilization. Everyone knows that. This may happen with Vulkan but not from a 3080

On a 4K monitor a 2080Ti can already max every setting and do 60fps unless the CPU gets loaded down. So a 3080 is overkill for a monitor.

There are CPU limiting aspects and GPU limiting aspects in DCS. Of course if you increase CPU limiting objects, your CPU will be the limiting factor.

But he said he's GPU bound "90%" of the time "for him". Which I agree. Most "common" FPS limiting aspect of DCS are MSAA, PD, resolution, and shadows which are all GPU. Yes there are situation with tons of AI where it becomes CPU limitation but those "to me" are rare.

But if CPU intensive missions are what you do most of the time then you shouldn't upgrade GPU. But doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.

Edited by Taz1004

Yes there are situation with tons of AI where it becomes CPU limitation but those "to me" are rare.

Those situations would be every SP campaign mission. Not exactly rare.

CPU limitation is the whole reason ED is moving to Vulkan.

Edited by SharpeXB

Now that I totally agree with.

I have said previously that the only two scenarios where I will see the benefit of a 3090/3080 is in DCS VR (where I am predominantly GPU bound) or if I bought a 4K 144Hz monitor.

As you say, I run on a 4K monitor at max settings (no MSAA as unnecessary in 4K) with a rock solid frame limited 60 fps and upgrading my GPU will not change that. That goes for all games, e.g. RDR2 or BF5, not just DCS.

In addition, all other VR games I run, e.g. HL:A or Project Cars 2, etc. run happily at 90 fps.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Those situations would be every SP campaign mission. Not exactly rare.

CPU limitation is the whole reason ED is moving to Vulkan.

Nope. I'm limited by GPU. I have no problem hitting 90fps in VR with SP campaign missions if I lower graphic settings.

Now that I totally agree with.

I have said previously that the only two scenarios where I will see the benefit of a 3090/3080 is in DCS VR (where I am predominantly GPU bound) or if I bought a 4K 144Hz monitor.

As you say, I run on a 4K monitor at max settings (no MSAA as unnecessary in 4K) with a rock solid frame limited 60 fps and upgrading my GPU will not change that. That goes for all games, e.g. RDR2 or BF5, not just DCS.

Do you get 60fps/4K in FS2020 with alls settings maxed out ?

Some other games might create the need for a 3090 also. FS2020 in VR, when released might be hard on the video card.

I'm also sitting with GPU as the limit in DCS, settings kept down due to the RTX2080ti, not the 9900KS@5.2. So, a 3090 should help. If it is worth the money, well....

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Do you get 60fps/4K in FS2020 with alls settings maxed out ?

No, but pretty sure FS2020 is CPU limited. Single core is hammered. Changing graphic settings makes very little difference to fps on that title for me.

I really recommend to reduce the resolution in VR if you want more FPS now if you own a 2080/1080Ti already. The 3080/3090 are unattractive options with only marginal performance improvements and include an unwanted stupid 400 Watt vacuum cleaner/heater.

Like pascal the best point for the next upgrade will be when a better chip manufactoring process arrives. Lets hope for the next generation. 200% performance for the same cost like my last card or I pass.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Hmmm...what forum section is this again? I wasn't aware that the VR section had become the 4K monitor section. We're talking about VR here, bud, and the "VR is more demanding on hardware than a monitor" horse has already been beaten enough. :doh:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

For me with 2.7K ( 2560x1440) I get 60 fps most of the time With all sliders maxed to the right But the indicator in fs2020 says ”Limited by GPU” most of the times and ”limited by main thread” only in some situations.

And as you In DCS with Reverb 120/150% ss Im always GPU limited with the sertings( fpsvr report higher GPU Frame time than CPU frame time).

3090 next.

( looking to get a Pimax 8KX if it seems to work nice with DCS)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I was lucky enough to get one coming from a gtx 1080. I can tell you I am having quite the night tonight haha. I don't have a high-end VR set though, only rift s. So probably for you guys that is nothing. So far I have ultra 4k'd everything in my library. Had two ctd's already though, once on alt-tab and once when activating nvidia overlay. The card is huge and heavy. It comes with a support bracket to mount in your case..

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

I was lucky enough to get one coming from a gtx 1080. I can tell you I am having quite the night tonight haha. I don't have a high-end VR set though, only rift s. So probably for you guys that is nothing. So far I have ultra 4k'd everything in my library. Had two ctd's already though, once on alt-tab and once when activating nvidia overlay. The card is huge and heavy. It comes with a support bracket to mount in your case..

Looks like it's time to update your .sig! Enjoy your 3090

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I would be interested to see your DCS benchmarks regarding the 1080 vs 3080. I’m still rocking the 1080 on my 2nd PC.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I would be interested to see your DCS benchmarks regarding the 1080 vs 3080. I’m still rocking the 1080 on my 2nd PC.

I don't have any benchmarks but for sure it is a crazy jump. For the first time now I could fly in 4k normandy low level in the spitfire without it turning into a slide show. I have way better performance in 4k now then I had in 1440p with 1080. Or you mean for the rift? The rift will be interesting I will try it tomorrow.

Edited by Geskes

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

I don't have any benchmarks but for sure it is a crazy jump. For the first time now I could fly in 4k normandy low level in the spitfire without it turning into a slide show. I have way better performance in 4k now then I had in 1440p with 1080. Or you mean for the rift? The rift will be interesting I will try it tomorrow.

Any benchmarks will do, VR, non-VR, etc. Some people here are trying to discourage others from upgrading saying that new GPU won’t help. Your experiences seem to be quite the opposite.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Any benchmarks will do, VR, non-VR, etc. Some people here are trying to discourage others from upgrading saying that new GPU won’t help. Your experiences seem to be quite the opposite.

You have to put this in context. In 4K DCS I have no scenario that goes below my frame limited 60fps on my 2080Ti at max settings with no MSAA (not needed in 4K), and that includes SC.

Any GPU upgrade would not show any improvement on that.

The previous poster was seeing a ‘slide show’ in Normandy on his old 960, so of course he will see an improvement.

The value of a GPU upgrade depends on your starting point.

Edited by imacken

You have to put this in context. In 4K DCS I have no scenario that goes below my frame limited 60fps on my 2080Ti at max settings with no MSAA (not needed in 4K), and that includes SC.

Any GPU upgrade would not show any improvement on that.

The previous poster was seeing a ‘slide show’ in Normandy on his old 960, so of course he will see an improvement.

The value of a GPU upgrade depends on your starting point.

It was from a 1080, he mentioned that he hadn't updated his .sig IIRC. But the point stands.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I really recommend to reduce the resolution in VR if you want more FPS now if you own a 2080/1080Ti already. The 3080/3090 are unattractive options with only marginal performance improvements and include an unwanted stupid 400 Watt vacuum cleaner/heater.

Like pascal the best point for the next upgrade will be when a better chip manufactoring process arrives. Lets hope for the next generation. 200% performance for the same cost like my last card or I pass.

For me, DCS is barely VR playable. Reducing the resolution or even reducing graphic setting in VR on my 2080 TI does very little. This game is just not optimized to use the horsepower of today's hardware. Two years ago, I upgraded from a watercooled Pascal Titan Xp and now I have a Bios modded and Power Modded watercooled MSI Sea Hawk Ek X running at over 2100mhz with a with a +700 Vram offset; Stable. The CPU is a 9900K @ 5ghz on all cores. My Son has the same GPU on a stock 7700k and we get the same exact frame rate regardless of the resolution. DCS NEEDS Massive optimization in it's basic code, Vulcan is sorely needed.

Edited by STRYC